Shayne

When did you start feeling better?

I am only 2 days post op after a BL and BA and I am feeling so tight across my chest, bloated and sleepy all the time. My op did go for 4 hours and then I developed a haematoma so they had to take me in again for another 30 min to clean it out. Chances of that happening is 1 in 500. Anyway I know it is normal to feel this way but just wondering when people started to feel like themselves again. Feel like I have been hit by a bus! I'm actually not even interested in looking at my boobs at this stage. Just want this blah feeling to go. 😞

Agree with Donatella. But I also saw a massive improvement when I hit day 3. It was the first time I even contemplated being anywhere but in bed. Another big change once you get through your first week, then again at the end of your second week. I posted some details about my progress that might give you some more details, but of course, everyone heals differently and I hope that the haematoma doesn't cause you any further set backs. 

Thanks very much for all your replies. I appreciate hearing about everyone's experiences. Day 3 begins...the tightness has eased a little I guess. Sleeping propped up is more of a challenge than I thought. I have read so much but until you experience it for yourself, you have no idea. Thanks again for taking the time to reassure me.xo

I had surgery on Weds so am only just starting Day 2. Yesterday was tough. I keep falling asleep with the painkillers but this morning I'm not so bad. I think my appetite returning has helped as I ate a proper meal last night and had a piece of toast with all my drugs this morning. Having a bit of a wash has helped me feel a bit more like myself too. 

I'm fully expecting it to be a real roller coaster. The thing I'm struggling most with is not being able to pick up my kids/bath them/even just sit and cuddle them to read bedtime stories :( but they're being awesome. My daughter who is 2 offers to hold my hand instead of cuddles just now which is lovely. 

I'm feeling a bit trapped at home though. I want to go out but know I shouldn't walk too much and my husband is taking the resting up thing really seriously and is making me just lie on the lounge and watch to shows. 

I had surgery on Weds so am only just starting Day 2. Yesterday was tough. I keep falling asleep with the painkillers but this morning I'm not so bad. I think my appetite returning has helped as I ate a proper meal last night and had a piece of toast with all my drugs this morning. Having a bit of a wash has helped me feel a bit more like myself too. 

I'm fully expecting it to be a real roller coaster. The thing I'm struggling most with is not being able to pick up my kids/bath them/even just sit and cuddle them to read bedtime stories :( but they're being awesome. My daughter who is 2 offers to hold my hand instead of cuddles just now which is lovely. 

I'm feeling a bit trapped at home though. I want to go out but know I shouldn't walk too much and my husband is taking the resting up thing really seriously and is making me just lie on the lounge and watch to shows. 

elle_cee that is soooo cute of your child!! It gets better I promise! 😘 day 1 and 2 were by farrrr my worst days

Edited by ohsoinspired

She is a sweetheart!  My son is being great too. We just explained I have "an ouchie chest" and they have to be careful and they're both being great. 

Thanks for the reassurance too. The difference I'm feeling already today is great. I hope it continues. 

Hope all you girls have a smooth recovery! I am 4 weeks post op so i can tell you it does get so much easier, the first week is the hardest then you should start to feel human again! Once the tightness subsides a little things dont seem so bad, youll be able to lay more comfortably and take a nice deep breath in.

I know it gets boring being stuck at home but try to enjoy it, its not often us mums get to have a break from routine. Forget about the housework not getting done and find a nice spot outside with a good book. For me it was nice just to be in the backyard and not cooped up inside all the time.

Hang in there girls, it will all be worth it in the long run!! All the best for the best recovery.

I know it gets boring being stuck at home but try to enjoy it, its not often us mums get to have a break from routine. Forget about the housework not getting done and find a nice spot outside with a good book. For me it was nice just to be in the backyard and not cooped up inside all the time.

I had 6 weeks off work to recover and it was the best time of my life. My new life goal = housewife.

Resting while you can is a really good idea! I will admit I haven't and honestly I paid the price I ended up so exhausted.  I went to sleep at 2pm woke up at around 5 with new boobs, was out having dinner by 6:30 then off cruising around westfield until about 9:30 that night. Up and back out at the market by 8am the next morning, walked shopped and when sight seeing all day it was about 11 when we made it back to the apartment. Day 3 I really struggled (trip home) kept pushing myself and day 7 my body just had enough and made me rest. 

Thanks for posting this as I had read about a number of girls being out and about the day of their surgery and the days afterwards and I thought, 'there is no way I could do this, what's wrong with me!' Anyway I am feeling a lot better today and have ventured out for a short time and only needed a 30 minute nap during the day. Can't wait to shower tomorrow! Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Resting while you can is a really good idea! I will admit I haven't and honestly I paid the price I ended up so exhausted.  I went to sleep at 2pm woke up at around 5 with new boobs, was out having dinner by 6:30 then off cruising around westfield until about 9:30 that night. Up and back out at the market by 8am the next morning, walked shopped and when sight seeing all day it was about 11 when we made it back to the apartment. Day 3 I really struggled (trip home) kept pushing myself and day 7 my body just had enough and made me rest. 

1 hour ago,  overthinkingit said:

Thanks for posting this as I had read about a number of girls being out and about the day of their surgery and the days afterwards and I thought, 'there is no way I could do this, what's wrong with me!' Anyway I am feeling a lot better today and have ventured out for a short time and only needed a 30 minute nap during the day. Can't wait to shower tomorrow! Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

I actually almost passed out twice, my body was working do hard to repair and keep up with everything that I wanted to do that my blood sugar levels crashed. My vision went blurry and I thought I was going to pass out, the first time I didn't take it serious just assumed i hadn't eaten properly but the second time I realised maybe my body was trying to tell me something and backed off. I was counting down the number of days I had left off work thinking there is no way I can work like this then day 10 I woke up feeling fantastic went back to work day 11, slowly went down hill all week, today is day 15 and I almost called in sick today. I am so sore and tired.

I'm sorry to hear you have had a rough few days. At least it is the weekend and you can just rest. Hopefully you don't have to work at all this weekend. I guess we forget we have had surgery and things take time. I hope others read your experience and learn from it. I know it has helped me realise that what I was/am feeling is all part of the process.

I'm sorry to hear you have had a rough few days. At least it is the weekend and you can just rest. Hopefully you don't have to work at all this weekend. I guess we forget we have had surgery and things take time. I hope others read your experience and learn from it. I know it has helped me realise that what I was/am feeling is all part of the process.

I am not the sort of person who could mentally cope with doing nothing. 

That's what I'm struggling with - the doing nothing. I feel all guilty and restless like I should be doing something else instead of watching tv/reading/resting. 

This morning my husband has taken the kids out so I can just chill out and I'm feeling a bit lost. 

I haven't left the house since getting home from hospital on Weds and am a bit stir crazy. I'm thinking I might try and go get a wash and blow dry on Monday at a hairdressers and then Tuesday I get to go out to my first post op appointment which will be good.