Help! I'm 5 days out and have a head cold!

cassiedd

Hi ladies,

My ba surgery is on monday 21st and my kids started to get a running nose which I have now contracted. I don't have a temp just stuffy head. Has anyone else been sick and still gone through with the op? Does anyone think they will want me to cancel? Feeling a bit down about it.

Thanks x

Yes I had a cold the week of my surgery and I was straight onto it as soon as I saw the signs. I was drinking apple cider vinegar (as it helps fight bacteria) and gargling salt water and drinking hot water with lemon and honey and using a nasal spray and Vicks and it cleared up the day before. Just in time! I did call my surgeons office up and they said unless I have a fever and severe cold then it would still go ahead but having to blow your nose once you have your BA hurts so have lots of rest!

I had a runny nose and sore throat on the day of surgery but it still went ahead. They checked my vitals (temperature, blood pressure & heartrate) and everything was normal so they decided to proceed.

I was advised to stop taking vitamins a week leading up to surgery so I gargled warm water mixed with salt. I took it in the morning, around lunch time, and before bed making sure I mixed in three teaspoons of salt in the water.

Didn't stop until the whole glass was gone! Afterwards, if you feel a stinging sensation in your throat and nose then it's a positive sign because the salt targets the bacteria in those areas. I also drank a warm honey tea before bed which helped with the sore throat and sleep!

Best of luck Hun! X

check with your surgeon before you take anything! 

My PS has a massive list of things his patients aren't allowed for 2 weeks before surgery and it has simple things like Vit C and garlic on there. 

I started to get a cold a few days before mine, I just ate super healthy and drank loads of water in the hope that my body would fight it off and it did 

Hey I was the same, about a week out and started getting sick. From memory when I asked the Dr they said only if you have a bad chest infection will they post phone. I made everyone stay away from me, wouldn't go to shops and laid of the exercise for about a week before to make sure I didn't get any sicker then I already was. lol I reallllllly didn't want to change me op date! lol Load up on fluids and rest! Good luck

I had a cold when I had surgery. I had an awful cough but surgeon and anaethetist told me happy to go ahead as no sign of chest infection and no temp. That was with GA though, not sure if you are having twilight but might be different as they don't manage your airway in the same way. The Anaethetist took some time to examine and question me and decide and I told them beforehand. I would tell them and see what they say. I don't regret going ahead but recovery was not pleasant with a bad cough, sonething to think about if your cold gets worse.