boxing anyone?

rachael1981

Hey ladies, just wondering if anyone here before their BA did boxing? and if so when you were able to get back on a bag and pads? my training the past 6 mths has been purely boxing and i g to a boxing gym, so lots of bag work and pad work/sparring with my partner... as its mainly all upper body and arms just wondering when you felt like you could punch normally again and spar for someone else? SUrgeon told me 6 weeks i can start but wondering what anyones experience was

thanks muchly xxxx

I am a gym junkie so I know where you are coming from re wanting to get back into training as soon as you can after your BA. I personally would listen to your surgeon. 6 weeks of no boxing would feel like a death sentence but honestly I didn't realise how much I used my chest muscles for so many things. You don't want to stuff up your surgery going back to boxing too early. Could  you hire a PT knowledgeable about upper body operations and get them to help you ease into exercise after your surgery? With me, I actually made a plan with my surgeon for exercise after my BA. I stuck to everything he said and I never had any troubles. I have recently had to have lower abdominal surgery for my reproductive system, so I am still healing. I can't do any abdominal work until 4 weeks post op which is just daunting to me! But I am being very careful because my gyno said if I get back into heavy exercise too early, I will give myself a hernia. So, I know it is really tough but the last thing you want to do is go back to boxing too early and really hurt yourself.

Thanks for your reply :)) yes it does feel like death to me as since my last baby I literally have trained 4-5 times a week and not had a break.... yeh I have definitely thought about getting a PT from about the 4 week mark and just training with them until I feel like I can train comfortable alone, I think that is probably the way to go! thanks again! x

No worries! When you are that fit, you will find you will bounce back pretty quickly once you resume exercising because the muscles have a memory. For me, while I can tell myself that logically (!!), my battle is with my mind. Exercise stills my mind so when I can't be in my normal routine it is very difficult for me. But on about day 5 post op from my BA, I went for a short walk which really helped my mind as well as getting the physical body moving. So for the first week, I just walked. I am going back to the same principles with my recent surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

I train mauy Thai and the 12 weeks after my ba was absolute hell for me. I had to watch what I ate cause I train so much and then couldn't train. As soon as the 12 weeks was up and I felt I was comfortable I got straight back into training! Took me a few weeks to get back into push-ups though :) 

thanks dyzee. Argh 12 weeks is gonna be absolute crap for me also. If I'm not training I really will have to be on a strict diet also.... I shall be counting down the weeks lol