Meg.92

Carer post BA

Hi girls, post BA I am having my husband home for atleast a¬†week to help care for me. I am hoping ūüôŹūüŹľ my plastic surgeon will write him a medical certificate to cover him for carers leave, has anyone else been successful/had trouble¬†with this? Also would one week be enough?¬†I would really love to have him home¬†with me to help + TLC!¬†

I would think he'd be able to get at least one day as carers leave as you are supposed to have someone with you for that time post op. After that he might not be given carers leave. Although it might be nice to have someone you might not actually need it. I had a ride home from hospital and that was all as live on my own and was perfectly fine. 

Worth asking your surgeon. It also depends on whether your hubby's boss is happy with carers leave as well. In all honesty unless you have young kids you should be fine post op, but then everyone is different. Good luck.

Thanks everyone, my hubbys leave would be sick leave because his medical certificate would just say 'unfit for work from x date to x date'¬†but I will ask my surgeon when I have my consult and I'll also ask my GP when I see her next ūüėĄ

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't (or legally shouldn't) get a certificate saying he was unfit himself.  It would have to say that he was required to be off work to care for someone. Legally can take sick leave because either sick yourself or needed to care  for someone in immediate family household. 

@Pepper9 my mistake :) I understand that medical certificates can be non specific ie usually they say unfit for work, you're right in this instance it would just say something non specific for carers leave or unable to attend work. Fingers crossed we can get leave for hubby! If not he will take annual leave 

Hi, sorry to hijack, but just wondering how long everyone needed help for?  I'm looking at staying with my sister when I have my BA (as I'm traveling interstate), but she'll most likely still be at work and working 10 hour days, so I'll be alone most of the time.  Of course she'll take the day of surgery off... but how able were you to take care of yourself post-op?  How long would you recommend having someone around to look after you for?

Hi Kura. My hubby was only able to have the day of surgery off. I just prepared really well. Cooked lots of dinners beforehand, had things in easy reach to snack on, moved all the essential things to the bottom shelf of the fridge. There were some challenges but it was mostly fine. I'm aware though that my recovery was pretty easy compared to some other lovely ladies on here. But i think it's doable so long as you prepare. Best of luck with the surgery! Xx

5 hours ago, kura said:

Hi, sorry to hijack, but just wondering how long everyone needed help for?  I'm looking at staying with my sister when I have my BA (as I'm traveling interstate), but she'll most likely still be at work and working 10 hour days, so I'll be alone most of the time.  Of course she'll take the day of surgery off... but how able were you to take care of yourself post-op?  How long would you recommend having someone around to look after you for?

I always had someone with me for company and if I got lazy for eg. Get me food, do this do that haha but deff could do it on my own from day one if I really needed to.. But I guess everyone is differenct 

Thanks for your replied guys.  Doesn't really matter now, as I was asking as I was hoping to book in June when my sister wasn't able to get any time off work... but the date I was looking at just got booked out, so now I'll be having it done in September, and my sister will be off work and can take care of me.  In a way it's probably a good thing to have her around, but I was so looking forward to getting it done sooner.