Emmy2015

Surfing post BA

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if there are any surfers amongst you who are post BA. If so, how long before you were able to surf again?? My surgeon told me 6 weeks, but that sounds too soon considering the amount of paddling involved!. I have surgery on Monday and I'm making sure I get as many waves as I possibly can before then!! Really hoping it won't be months before I can get back on the board :/

Not a surfer but I am five months post op now and I would probably still be uncomfortable lying on a board on tummy. I still can't really sleep on tummy and prop up when sunbathing etc so that's what makes me cringe when I consider your post! Together with the paddling and propelling yourself to standing I think would have some sort of impact. You might be able to start working back up to it at six weeks though. Hopefully there is a surfer on here with a better idea! 

I'm 4 months PO and can sleep on my stomach and sunbathe fine now. Have been able to do this for past month now. 

i was advised not to go swimming for 8 weeks and as long as everything was healing nicely. 

Just speak to your surgeon as they all have different rules. 

I'm not a surfer but have been in the sea with my little one a lot this past month as she love to body board. 

Really depends on our overall recovery.

I had a great recovery... By the 4th week was sleeping in my tummy, started running again at 6 weeks, was back looking after my 2 young kids after 4 days.

7 weeks and I've starting swimming again.... Sometimes I feel a sharp pull but have no problems. I was allowed back in the water 4 weeks post op as my in signs were healing well.

Just play it by ear, don't over do it if you feel shitty.

Definitely depends on your recovery.  I'm a surfer - 4 weeks PO now and I think I could paddle out no problems.  I don't have any problems with my flexibility following the surgery and even though I can't sleep on my stomach yet I could definitely lie on a board.  I was told no swimming laps in a pool for 6 weeks so I I'll wait another 2 weeks before I paddle out. 

Definitely depends on your recovery.  I'm a surfer - 4 weeks PO now and I think I could paddle out no problems.  I don't have any problems with my flexibility following the surgery and even though I can't sleep on my stomach yet I could definitely lie on a board.  I was told no swimming laps in a pool for 6 weeks so I I'll wait another 2 weeks before I paddle out. 

wow 6 weeks til u can swim ? I thought that too but Dr R office said not for 12 weeks ..totally devoed 😈

I was told 12 weeks too, so hard being at the coast last week when everyone was swimming and I was just standing in the water trying not to get splashed lol 

it seem like foreverrrrrr lol

the warm weather isnt helping either want to swim so bad ..going to the spit for australia day and i will have to sit there and watch everyone swim or just sit in the water 😂

wow 6 weeks til u can swim ? I thought that too but Dr R office said not for 12 weeks ..totally devoed 😈

Yep - I asked him that specific question in my consultation (as a triathlete - swimming is a big part of my life!).  He said I could get in the water after 3 weeks, but I should wait 6 weeks before I start swimming laps - same as running.  I feel 100% already so I will be resuming my usual activities at 6 weeks!!

Thanks for your reply! I knew there had to be at least one other surfer on here! I had my surgery yesterday and feeling great (although that's probably the meds talking) so I'm hoping for a speedy recovery like yours! And hopefully it won't be too long before I can catch some waves again!! :)  Please let me know how u go after your first surf... thanks in advance! 

Yep - I asked him that specific question in my consultation (as a triathlete - swimming is a big part of my life!).  He said I could get in the water after 3 weeks, but I should wait 6 weeks before I start swimming laps - same as running.  I feel 100% already so I will be resuming my usual activiti

thats awesome 😊 might text him personally and ask then. . I feel great too will be resuming my weight training at 6 weeks .. having a program done to give me guidance with it. .i dont want to stuff up these girls lol 😍