Sign in to follow this  
rattlie

birthmark removal

Hoping someone can help :) i have a congenital nevi (brown birthmark) about the size of a 50 cent on my upper thigh which i have always been super self conscious of

I saw a dermatologist today as i was hoping it could be treated with laser but it has to be cut out surgically which he can do in his rooms using a local anaesthetic, it will leave a scar tho.

my question is, is a dermatologist the best for the job or should i see a plastic surgeon? i guess dermatologists do this alot but i just want the best result. also the consult with the dermo was $170 so if i have a consult with a PS i guess it will be another $170.

I am kicking myself i didnt think of having it done when i was under having my BA the thought of having it done while i am awake freaks me out 

1453285390468.jpg

I had a similar but bigger birthmark removed 30 years ago by a PS so I assume things have changed but I still have a large scar. I could have had further surgery down the track to treat it but didn't bother. If it were me I would go with the derm and then worry about scar treatment later but it depends maybe on how concerned you are about a scar I think.

Might be worth another consult if the scar potentially would also make you self conscious to see who can give a better outcome? My scar has never bothered me but it's obvious and people ask about it all the time - million times better than the birthmark though! 

I've had moles (not birthmarks) removed by both a plastic surgeon and a GP (different to a dermatologist obviously). The ones removed by my GP are a horrid hack job. The one a PS removed was on my face, near my eye. I have the tiniest, faintest scar from it. I never used any scar treatments or creams. No one can see it but me even when I point it out. I guess it depends how much a scar bothers you and if you want to pay for scar treatment. 

Did you get a quote for removal from the derm? I have a similar birthmark on my arm which I am not fond of (grows dark, thick hair ewwww). I'm having PS in thailand next month though so maybe I should have it removed there.

sorry hun i did'nt get a quote because i was'nt sure what i was going to do when i left the derm's office yesterday

if i book in for the removal i will let u know the cost x

thanks for the replies lovely ladies very helpful as always xx 😊

Hoping someone can help :) i have a congenital nevi (brown birthmark) about the size of a 50 cent on my upper thigh which i have always been super self conscious of

I saw a dermatologist today as i was hoping it could be treated with laser but it has to be cut out surgically which he can do in his rooms using a local anaesthetic, it will leave a scar tho.

my question is, is a dermatologist the best for the job or should i see a plastic surgeon? i guess dermatologists do this alot but i just want the best result. also the consult with the dermo was $170 so if i have a consult with a PS i guess it will be another $170.

I am kicking myself i didnt think of having it done when i was under having my BA the thought of having it done while i am awake freaks me out 

1453285390468.jpg

I have one also - have not actually come across anyone else with one before! My surgeon suggested having laser also to lessen the colour but I haven't looked into it any further. Years ago I saw a dermatologist and she suggested to leave it be as I would require 2 surgeries to remove it and she said basically it wouldn't be worth it, so I got out off looking around for another opinion. 

Would love to know if you decide to go ahead and how you go, I'm in Adelaide also. 

I have one also - have not actually come across anyone else with one before! My surgeon suggested having laser also to lessen the colour but I haven't looked into it any further. Years ago I saw a dermatologist and she suggested to leave it be as I would require 2 surgeries to remove it and she said basically it wouldn't be worth it, so I got out off looking around for another opinion. 

Would love to know if you decide to go ahead and how you go, I'm in Adelaide also. 

i actually saw the derm that practises in the same offices as Medical Lasers on North Tce because i was hoping to have laser treatment on it but basically he said laser doesnt work on these birthmarks as they are deep.

the other option was scraping it as in scraping the top layers of skin off but that leaves a bigger scar than surgical removal, i would only need one surgery to have it cut out and it would only take 30 mins no big deal apparently, will have a scar and maybe a bit of an indentation.

i don't really know what to do lol i hate my birthmark but having it cut out sounds scary, i will let u know if i go ahead with it x