Shezi

Things I found difficult while recovering

I thought it would be fun to put together a list of things that I had never even considered would be difficult post op. 

1. Flushing the toilet - who would have thought pushing one tiny button would be so freaken painful!

2. Pulling up my pants after going to the toilet - I ended up wearing long tshirts and going pantless at home as much as I could hahaha

3. Not being able to reach things on the top shelf of the fridge - I discovered this on one of the rare times I was home alone. I really, really wanted some home made soup, went to get it and it was on the top shelf. No way in hell could I reach that sucker 😭😭😭

I'm only 6 days post op so I'm sure I will find some things to add, especially when my other half goes back to work and I'm home alone for several days 😳😳

What things did you guys find difficult? 

Hahaha

1. Couldn't open any lids off my drink bottles

2. My partner is tall, and I'm short, so I have to adjust the shower rose every time I have a shower. Well, couldn't bloody reach it, so had to have water pouring over my head! Lol

3. Couldn't carry much over half a kilo lol 

EVERYTHING. 

The mains ones being: turning on a tap, opening a water bottle, drinking in general (a glass of water is HEAVY yo!) pulling my pants up, drying myself after a shower, dressing (any item of clothing), putting my hair up, washing my hair, putting on a post op bra, sleeping, getting off the couch, getting out of bed, using a knife & fork (couldn't put pressure on the knife), getting in/out of the car incl opening/closing the door, putting on/taking off my seatbelt, opening our front door, flushing the toilet and hi fives.😝

EVERYTHING. 

The mains ones being: turning on a tap, opening a water bottle, drinking in general (a glass of water is HEAVY yo!) pulling my pants up, drying myself after a shower, dressing (any item of clothing), putting my hair up, washing my hair, putting on a post op bra, sleeping, getting off the couch, getting out of bed, using a knife & fork (couldn't put pressure on the knife), getting in/out of the car incl opening/closing the door, putting on/taking off my seatbelt, opening our front door, flushing the toilet and hi fives.😝

and high fives, brilliant 😂

Love these!! All the things you don't even think about prior to surgery haha

and yes I can confirm that I didn't know how the hell I was going to wipe my bum but luckily constipation took care of that for me and by the time I was able to go I had slightly better range of movement and strength hahaha 

Wow! Ladies, that crazy things I get to look forward to? I hear from friend that she had hard time wiping her own bum :'(  @MaisieF love it you keeping it real. :)

That was the ONE thing I could do!!! Hahaha. And yep, like @Shezi good ol' constipation took care of that for a few days to let the new girls settle.:p

I love this thread!  This was for the first few days- week

1. Getting up off the floor when playing with my kids.

2. Getting out of bed 

3. Buttering bread or toast

4. Opening the fridge

5. Having a seat belt across my chest felt weird

6. Adjusting the shower head- as mentioned above

7. Getting dressed in some things

8. Brushing and washing my hair!  

That's about it ☺☺☺

For the first 2 days post:

- laughing, coughing and blowing my nose lol.

- Also my abs and down my sides hurt so much I had to strategically sleep as close to the edge of the bed so that I could shuffle myself and place one leg at a time off the bed, then slide off the edge so that the strength in my knees could help me squat up. Then i'd sit on the edge of the bed while I felt all that pressure in my morning boobs subside 

Would have to say getting my self up and being too worried to put too much pressure on arms (having to do slug like movements when sliding up to get comfortable on my pillows :lol:) , washing myself in halves for the first week oh god and washing my hair weird for the week or few following, closing car doors softer :p opening the fridge ( luckily ours has a lever on it...thanks miele phew) pulling pants up of course who could forget that one... -_- 

Loving all of these ladies!! And the soap dispenser was a killer for me too haha. It took me 4 days before I could lift my jug, even with only a tiny bit of water in it. As a major caffeine addict this was devastating haha. That will teach me for buying a beautiful decorative jug that weighs a ton. 

Would have to say getting my self up and being too worried to put too much pressure on arms (having to do slug like movements when sliding up to get comfortable on my pillows :lol:) , washing myself in halves for the first week oh god and washing my hair weird for the week or few following, closing car doors softer :p opening the fridge ( luckily ours has a lever on it...thanks miele phew) pulling pants up of course who could forget that one... -_- 

bahahahahaha the visualisation of slug like movements!!! Sooooo funny!!!! 

For the first 2 days post:

- laughing, coughing and blowing my nose lol.

- Also my abs and down my sides hurt so much I had to strategically sleep as close to the edge of the bed so that I could shuffle myself and place one leg at a time off the bed, then slide off the edge so that the strength in my knees could help me squat up. Then i'd sit on the edge of the bed while I felt all that pressure in my morning boobs subside 

morning boobs?? I have a feeling I shouldn't read the rest of this thread!

Using a knife! Took me 2 weeks to be able to cut carrots or corn! Although the main killers for me were opening the microwave and dishwasher (they are pull open ones!)! I had to use my feet, lol,  

your feet?! 😂 Pics or it didn't happen (kidding) 

puts a whole new spin on monkey feet 😂

Sneezing was painful too! 

I'm so scared to sneeze lol. Sometimes when i've sneezed I'd get a crack in the sternum because i've been hunched during the day hahah

These are all hilarious! 

How is long does it take for everything to settle down? I have 18-19 days off work (yay for Easter!!) and work in a pretty active job. Am I biting off more than I can chew? 

I think you'll be fine. I'm 8 days post op now and I can do most things but heavy lifting. I'm about to go do a 4 hour shift at my retail job (they have no idea I had my boobies done last week). Yesterday I even went clothes shopping with my sister and could reach a clothes hanger way above my head. I think walking every day and just slowly easing yourself back into every day activities helps. I couldn't lift a glass with one hand immediately post of day 1 but when i used 2 hands it was fine! By post op day 3 i worked out my system. Walking/doing things for 2 hours and then I could feel tightness and swelling in my chest. I needed to sit down and rest for 15 mins or so, do my post op stretches and then I was fine to keep going again. Just listen to your body and rest if it's getting too much and then see how you go!

Oh that's excellent advice. I'll follow everything to the dot what the surgeon says. All green lights for the 11th March. We are going camping over Easter which involves all day 4wding but I'd dare say I'll be holed up at camp with the dogs kicking back and reading!

i think I'll be telling my work I'm having "elective surgery" and may need to do light duties for another 1-2 weeks post my return but it should be fine ☺️ I haven't told any of my family either because I know they'll try and talk me out of it all