rallen

Over or under the muscle?

Hi ladies,

I recently had my BA consultation and one of the main things we talked about was going under or over the muscle!

My breasts are slightly tuburous.. and I have very little breast tissue but have quite good muscle.  I am going with Dr Blackstock at Enhance clinic in Emu Plains. By the way he was talking it sounded like over the muscle was the way to go i'll have a much better change getting rid of that tubular look rather than going under the muscle.  It is obviously completely my decision but i don't want anymore surgeries having to fix it serperately.  Has anyone had this same problem/dilemma?  I've done alot of research and loads of pages are saying under the muscle is the way to go.. I also dont want mine to look super fake and beach-ball like.  Over the muscle girls how are you finding yours? 

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!  

<3 

was dual plane an option? I had very little breast tissue, if i went over they would looked quiet fake because there was really nothing to cover the implant.

I had quiet good muscle so my surgeon was able to blend a larger implant then he would have if I didn't have that muscle using dual plane placement.

Edited by overthinkingit

We never spoke about dual plane? What is it? Maybe because he didn't think it was neccessary.  Did you choose over the muscle? I'm also going moderate profile.  I want to do what suits best for me just worrying about looking totally fake and not fixing the tubular look. 

I think other knowledgeable people can confirm but isn't Dr Blackstock a Cosmetic Surgeon as opposed to Plastic? I think if you have even mildly tuberous boobs you should get a consult with a Plastic Surgeon as well.

I've seen many overs look great but I believe it depends on how much breast tissue you have up top to pull the look off?

We never spoke about dual plane? What is it? Maybe because he didn't think it was neccessary.  Did you choose over the muscle? I'm also going moderate profile.  I want to do what suits best for me just worrying about looking totally fake and not fixing the tubular look. 

dual plane is part under muscle and part over muscle. The top half of my implant is blended under my muscle and the bottom is over the muscle. I dont know the surgeon you are seeing but if the comments above are correct and he is a cs not a ps that might be why he didn't discuss dual plane.

I totally agree with Donatella on this one & if there are any issues that seem a little concerning then def think revision of surgeon prior to surgery is better then worrying about revision surgery after the procedure.

I was an A cup prior to procedure 2.5 weeks ago & went under & so far they look great. I was going to get overs simply cos of the recovery time also, but after researching I felt unders were the way to go, as did my surgeon as I wanted natural & going over muscle I would end up looking fake & also more chance of a "ball in sock" look I believe is the expression used, quite a lot earlier as I would have no muscle holding in place, so as I age & skin starts to sag, so will the breasts as they would only be sitting in the skin crease. Unders have a little more to keep them in place longer.

in saying that though I have seen some amazing overs & think it's a decision u need to make based on what look u want. Best thing to do is look at a few before & after pics , also take them along to a consult with another surgeon. 

I have not had surgery with ur surgeon, nor have I seen any before/after pics of his work, but I have heard a bit about him & prob best to research Hun or atleast ask him about the dual plane. Make sure u see before/after pics of ur surgeons previous procedures of dual muscle also to ensure he has the adequate knowledge/experience to complete the procedure to the look & standards u like.

hope this helps & doesn't confuse u instead x

@MaisieF might be able to offer some advise I am pretty sure she had Tubular correction with her implants recently

I sure did - dual plane. Tuberous breasts are a tricky beast. It's not a 'cut & stuff' type breast augmentation - there's so many other minor nips & tucks that are required during surgery to correct the tuberous part itself. 

Have a look at Dr Tavakoli or Dr Miroshnik. Both are excellent at correcting tuberous breasts. 

Oh, and Dr Lieu in Darlinghurst also does tuberous breast correction. I haven't seen a lot of his work but I've heard good things from other ladies. 

Did Dr Blackstock show you before and after photos of his work on tuberous breasts? This is not a simple surgery and I would be very very skeptical to let a cosmetic surgeon perform a BA on me if I had tuberous breasts. Tuberous breasts no matter how slight need skilled and experienced hands. 

You could try posting a pic in the Q&A section here to see what the plastic surgeons on here advise?? I know it's tough to hear advice to change surgeon when you've already decided but I'm sure you also want a great result so I hope you consider at least consulting with some experts at tuberous breast correction so you can be confident in your choice.

He could be referring to dual plane when he says unders as they are essentially the same thing. All implants do is literally make bigger what you already have so if only putting implants in and not doing any other correction you risk not being able to achieve your desired result. Good luck! 

There is actually a really good reason for putting implants over the muscle in tuberous patients and that is to help force the tubureous breast tissue to take on the shape from the breast implant which is usually an anatomical shaped implant.
Often this is combined with other techniques including scoring the tuberous breast tissue or even splitting the tissue underneath the areola. 
This may also be combined with an areola reduction, benelli lift or lollipop lift to make the areola smaller and equal heights whilst also depuffing them..

As others have mentioned, tuberous breast correction is complication and requires the skill and technique of a plastic surgeon. You may also be entitled to a medicare rebate which would also mean your PHI (if you have it) will also cover some of the cost. This only applies if you have your surgery by a recognised plastic surgeon.

Check out the PSF blog as we have a few videos and articles on tuberous correction.

Best of luck