JessR

Over or under muscle !

Okay! So I'm completly stuck on whether to chose under or over the muscle. My surgery is in two weeks! At first I decided with under but today I rung my surgeon and changed to over and now having second thoughts again!!! Here is why; Mt surgeon said if I go under the muscle I will have a smaller implant- if I go over, he will be able to give me a bigger implant. I don't want HUGE boobs , I always had the thought of 400cc but he doesn't think we will achieve that if I go under the muscle. How ever there is a higher chance we will achieve that size if we go over. He pretty much told me that there is no better option. They both have their pros and cons ! 

What do you girls think I should do? I want to go over because I can't think of anything worse than waking up with small breast but so many people are telling me to go under and it's now confusing me. Is under more popular ?

What at did you get ? Over or under ? And what is your reasoning. Thank you!

Hi JessR. It really depends on the kind of look you're going for, and how much preexisting breast tissue you have. 

If you want a more natural curve and are quite skinny or dont have much tissue to begin with, then unders are better. If you like the rounded top/more fake look then go overs, as the edge of the implant is easier to see.

Also, bear gravity in mind. They say overs sag faster as they dont have the muscle to hold the implant in place, but when they do sag, it's a more natural sag, as the implant and breast tissue sag together, wheras with unders, the breast tissue sags while the implant stays put. But that could be years away, and you might be ready to upgrade by then.

Because of my own experience I have to say I am immediately suspicious of advice that can go over or under equally as I think that is very seldom the case. I was told by one surgeon I could have either but I had very little tissue and clearly overs were not an option for me at all. 

Ultimately therefore I got dual plane (unders) because I was virtually flat chested and overs would have been visible and looked unnatural. 

I was totally torn as well Moon Child - even yesterday sitting in the bed just before surgery I couldn't decide! My surgeon said he'd be happy to go dual plane if I was more comfortable with that (I cited rippling, sagging & struggling to have mammograms as my reason)..

But I ultimately agreed with him for over the muscle due to my lifestyle and the amount of sag I had. There's pros and cons for both over and under.

Just have a think about the factors that are important to you: whether it's size, rippling, sagging, mammograms, the need for future surgeries (try & get as long as you can out of those puppies), whether or not you have any/more children or want to breastfeed, exercise levels...

There's so much to think about but if you priorities your main reasons for getting a BA in the first place & the look you want you'll make the right decision 😊

Thank you lovely ladies!! 

I honestly am so fussy I want a natural look but then I also like the fakish look ! So it's so hard to decide. How can you tell if you have lots of breast tissue ? I feel like I need to go above the muscle because there is nothing worse then waking up and not having my desired size ! But everyone (friends) keep telling me go under and in sitting her wondering why? Why is under SO much more popular and that's what makes me have second thoughts? My surgeon pretty said I can have either ! Ahh I just wish I could have my desired size under the muscle. The only other reason I'm scared about over muscle is "sagging" like how bad can the sagging be :/ I'm so confused! 

JessR I was flat chested and an A cup! I'm 48-50kg as well so can see my outline of ribs and collar bone. I went with overs! Love them. Doc said they'll look as natural as anything after 6 months or so or when they d & f. I don't have a fake upper pole look it's already diminishing after just 3 months post op. Doc said I was suitable candidate for either over or under but we went with over cos I'm scared of the issues unders have lol. Very happy with result. I can feel ripples on my outer sides but even if I had of gone under the muscle those ripples still would've been there as only top quarter of implant is hidden. Always get compliments on my breasts. Go overs I say! But at the end of the day your doc will know best :) 

Also! Sagging won't be as bad as you think. Ask your doc about the sagging he'll reassure you and show pics 

id love to know what all these under issues are you keep speaking of? Because as someone who has had unders for 10 years (as opposed to someone who has had inplants for 2 minutes) I think I should know of all these dangers 

Jess there have been a few girls here with overs and after a year they have dropped significantly, especially the larger the weight. Personally long term thinking, mammograms and skin ageing/ptosis I would only have under or dual plane 

When I had my overs in 14 years ago in the UK it was rare to see 'unders' I only knew of one woman who had unders and she was extremely skinny. If you look on RealSelf there are still a lot of overs happening in the UK compared to the US and Aus - not sure why.

Anyway, I am pleased I have overs now that I am explanting. I know a lot of women explanting with unders who have problems afterwards with their muscles (distortion, adherence, etc.). But if you are planning on keeping your implants and exchanging in 10+ years rather than removing them altogether that won't matter.

Thank you for the advice again ladies :) 

I would say I'm am currently B cup! While I was breastfeeding I got to a C and now they have deflated back to a B.

oh it is such a hard descion! I always said to myself if I can't decide on something il go with whatever is the most popular- which seem to be under these days. 

Do I

A)  Go under the muscle, not achieve my desired size but have a more natural look

OR

B ) Go over the muscle, have more chance of achieving my desired size and take the risk of sagging and a more faker look. (As I was after a natural look) 

What option would you pick?? 

I think you answered you're own question in option B 

you're after a natural look, most surgeons will recommend Unders if you want a natural look. Maybe ask and see if dual plan is an option for you

Edited by Rhiannon

I would go for the look I was after. What is the size difference in planes? 

There is no way 400cc is ever going to look fake regardless of where it's put

I wish 400 would give a fake look... i wish i could have fit more in my chest 😭 

I would also like to know exactly what these 'complications' with unders are. Love and glitter as you mentioned it  could you please explain? I've had implants for nearly 17 years and am unaware of any complications specific to unders.

JessR - it's pretty simple love. Your PS said you can go either - you want a natural look -  you know overs will give you a less-natural look, so I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I don't know how slim you are and how much breast tissue you have or how bony you are but unless you have lots of 'padding' (aka fat)  I would definitely go unders.

Maybe this will help you decide ... this is what happens when you put overs in a person with no breast tissue. I think you'll agree that it's a hideous look.

Good luck with your decision.

1st Op_Day 1 (5).jpg

1st Op_Day 1 (4).jpg

So here's a question for you... I'm a 14DD but a very broad chest so my breasts are actually quite small. I want natural-looking boobs, but I think overs are the way for me (due to a) probably enough existing breast tissue and b ) the fact I do crossfit so lots of weight training and c) a somewhat quicker healing process). 

One thing I personally don't want for myself is to be able to see the top of the implant - I just want fullness underneath my nipples. Do you think overs will achieve that, or will they always look a little bit fake?  

(PS I have my consult in two weeks, just trying to have as much info beforehand from you girls! )

I would also like to know exactly what these 'complications' with unders are. Love and glitter as you mentioned it  could you please explain? I've had implants for nearly 17 years and am unaware of any complications specific to unders.

JessR - it's pretty simple love. Your PS said you can go either - you want a natural look -  you know overs will give you a less-natural look, so I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I don't know how slim you are and how much breast tissue you have or how bony you are but unless you have lots of 'padding' (aka fat)  I would definitely go unders.

Maybe this will help you decide ... this is what happens when you put overs in a person with no breast tissue. I think you'll agree that it's a hideous look.

Good luck with your decision.

1st Op_Day 1 (5).jpg

1st Op_Day 1 (4).jpg

oh wow ewww

So it seems I should stick my with first thought (and gut feeling) and go under!! 

If I go under I have to understand that if he can't fit 400cc he will do a smaller size. The sizes range from 295cc -450cc max. I will be soooo sad if I wake up and had 295cc 😭😭😭

Day one photos of any implants look very different to the end result. Maybe some members with overs can share their photos with JessR?

I was fairly slim when I got mine and they never looked 'fake'. I had no upper pole without a push up bra. Here is a photo of mine when they were about 5 years old.

People never notice I have implants unless I tell them.

DSCF0276.jpg

Edited by HarperHen
more words