Nic H

Post op with young children

I have a 5 year old and twin 2 year olds and my husband works away 4 weeks at a time. He will be home for the first 4 days post op then flies out. Do you think I will be ok by myself this soon after having a BL and BA? I don't often pick my twins up as it is, they get too jealous of the other one so this will help with not being able to post op. I realise everyone is different however was wondering if any of you were in a similar situation. I also work 1 day per week so I need to be back at work 1 week post op, my job is not physical.

My children are older then yours but I worked in childcare (family day care so one my own with no adults to help) at the time of my BA. I went back to work at 10day PO and had 4 children in my care ranging for 3 months to 2 yrs. I was tired at the end of the day for the first week but there was nothing I couldn't physically do. The baby was the hardest because they like to snuggle into you when you give then a bottle and sometimes kick a lot when you are doing things like changing a nappy but the 2yr olds were easy you just have to be mindful because they dont think. My two son's didn't know about my BA they just assumed I had hurt my back which was enough for them to be a little more careful then normal around me

I'll be honest here - when I had my BA 17 months ago, my kids were 12, 9 and 7. My hubby stayed with me for the first 3 days and then he had to go back to work. Even though my kids are older than yours, I found I was so tired by the end of the first week. I could not imagine being at home by myself in that first week with little ones. My advice is to see if you can get a relative or good friend to either take your children for the next few days after hubby leaves, or get someone to stay with you. The ages of your children is a demanding one. You need to rest and heal in that first week - not running after your little ones. x