Honeycakes

Recovery without any help???

Hi ladies,

I am planning to have a boob job :D with  Dr Miroshnik sometime this year. I am a Mum of 3 young kids and we Live in Brisbane-  Originally I was going take the whole

family down to Sydney and stay a week in a house while I have surgery and recover. But after looking into accommodation options and it is looking like it is going to be so

expensive to do this. we are looking at 5 x Airfares, Car hire, Accommodation in a house ( backgarden so kids will be entertained). I'm tempting at the idea of leaving them at home with my husband so they can continue on with school etc.... and doing it on my own.

So My question is: has anyone had any experience with recovering on their own? What is the hardest part of the recovery in the first 5 days?

I am wondering if it would be possible to fly down, have the surgery done, hire a nurse for 24 hours after surgery and stay in the hotel opposite dr miroshnik's office in case of an emergency. If I was well prepared with food etc is it possible to recover on your own?

I don't have any sisters or close friends who could help. My mum is scared of flying and probably wouldn't agree with boob job anyway.

thanks in advance.

Hi Honeycakes. It definitely is better having someone with you. I could do most things, but after surgery the max suggested weight you can lift is 500 grams, so you would definitely need someone to carry your bags. A shame you can't have a friend or family look after your children while you and your hubby go down. 

26 minutes ago, Joadster said:

Hi Honeycakes. It definitely is better having someone with you. I could do most things, but after surgery the max suggested weight you can lift is 500 grams, so you would definitely need someone to carry your bags. A shame you can't have a friend or family look after your children while you and your hubby go down. 

so, on the first few days could you get out of bed and go to the bathroom on your own? have a shower? make some basic meals (microwave meals, fruit cereal?) That's all I would be planning on doing.

Husband could fly down on the day I go home and help me with Flight home.

I had my ex husband stay with me for the first two weeks to help with my 2 kids.... I ended up looking after him as well 😒 

I moved like a zombie but I got everything done myself

my 7 year old helped by vacuuming 

my ex carried my washing basket down stairs so I could wash and he wound my clothes line down so I could hang out washing haha

i think you should be alright just play on it to get reception to carry your bag to your room etc.

I could do everything myself, however it was nice to have someone around if you're feeling sorry for yourself 😏 haha.

Would you consider seeing one of the fantastic surgeons in brisbane? That way you can recover at home. I know miroshnik is amazing but it would be easier and much cheaper. 

4 minutes ago, LaurenT said:

I could do everything myself, however it was nice to have someone around if you're feeling sorry for yourself 😏 haha.

Would you consider seeing one of the fantastic surgeons in brisbane? That way you can recover at home. I know miroshnik is amazing but it would be easier and much cheaper. 

It has crossed my mind. several times. but I have been hesitant about getting BA for years but when I saw Dr Miroshnik's work I changed my mind and now very confident about it.

I had 2 of my kids C-section and husband wasn't very helpful after that either but I managed most things on my own even in the hospital. so wondering if this would be very similar.

I travelled to Bangkok by myself for BA and just returned a week ago. Remember that everyone reacts differently to surgery and so what one person may be able to do after a certain amount of time, you may not be able to.

I would strongly recommend having someone look after you for the first 48 hours - ask to stay in hospital, hire a nurse or carer, anything! I stayed in hospital for 2 nights and since then I've been completely on my own. Although I never called the nurses in to help me since a (silly) part of me wanted to be stubbornly and awfully independent. Most things are do-able, just takes more time and potentially painful. For e.g. day 2, standing up and going to the bathroom would require about 10-15 minutes and then I'd have to sit down for 20 minutes to rest afterwards. But by day 5, I was pretty much doing most things as normal. 

Good luck to you

I found my recovery from a BL/BA very easy and did everything on my own from day 1. I had overs though so I think that makes a big difference. Definitely think my C-section recovery was a lot worse. I went with Dr Richardson in Brisbane and was amazing. So happy with my results so far and I had uneven tuberous breasts. I honestly didn't didn't think they could look this good. 

21 minutes ago, Honeycakes said:

It has crossed my mind. several times. but I have been hesitant about getting BA for years but when I saw Dr Miroshnik's work I changed my mind and now very confident about it.

I had 2 of my kids C-section and husband wasn't very helpful after that either but I managed most things on my own even in the hospital. so wondering if this would be very similar.

I had both my kids by c section as well and was up and about the same day after both. This is a very different recovery because everything we do involves use of your arms and pecs. I had my BA 8 days ago (I had unders) and had to have my mum come and stay with me while my partner went to work the next day. My surgeon (and I'm sure almost all others) recommends a responsible adult is with you for the first 24 hours after surgery just in case. I was able to get up and walk around, but couldn't do much else. I could go to the toilet by myself so that wasn't a problem, but I have heard some girls can't do that. My recovery in the first week was great but I couldn't shower by myself the day after and have only just been able to do this properly the past two days due to limited arm movements. I couldn't wash my hair or brush it until day 6. 

We went out yesterday as we had a family tragedy that had us out all day and it took its toll on me just being in and out of the car. I'm not one who ever usually stops for anything but I spent most of today sleeping as a result. And I never sleep during the day. Pain meds and antibiotics are something else to consider and how you may react to them.

It is definitely do able as a lot of girls do it on their own, but easier with help. Good luck with your upcoming surgery and subsequent recovery. It's hard, but so worth it. 

39 minutes ago, JS said:

I found my recovery from a BL/BA very easy and did everything on my own from day 1. I had overs though so I think that makes a big difference. Definitely think my C-section recovery was a lot worse. I went with Dr Richardson in Brisbane and was amazing. So happy with my results so far and I had uneven tuberous breasts. I honestly didn't didn't think they could look this good. 

Same Same. I pretty much got on with life TBH. I was told by a nurse that I would feel like I did a huge day of chest presses at the gym and that's exactly how it all felt.

Having said that, I still made sure I had hubby could take time off just in case and my kids are older. I think if you're good at managing pain, you'll find you can get back to normal pretty fast. 

I needed quite a bit of help post BA, it was so surprising (and a huge struggle) to realise the number of basic things I couldn't do on my own. I was basically couch bound for a minimum of one week needing help with almost everything. My hubby even had to push my back to help me sit up! I've heard this is rather common if going under the muscle, as it's a harsher recovery then over muscle or dual plane. Do you know what you're having yet? I'd definitely take this into consideration, looking back the first two weeks recovery were pretty full on for me, the thought of travelling on a plane with luggage in there would be a nightmare for me, but everyone is different.

I read above you're pretty set on Dr M  😊 I hear he is amazing, and his work is incredible. I am also from Brisbane, and had mine done with Dr Broadhurst and couldn't fault him at all! So professional and also does amazing work!!! I couldn't recommend him enough. His partner Dr Richardson is also amazing. 

Just think about the consults and all the follow up appointments you'll have to go to and travelling interstate each time could be a hassle. I have been through this before and wouldn't recommend it. 

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing about it xxx 😊

I got unders and got a ride home from the hospital and was on my own after that. I naughtily didn't even have anyone with me for the first 24 hours. I was completely fine on my own. Moved slowly, rested and took it easy but there wasn't anything I couldn't manage. 

There was no way I would of survived without mum to help me. I needed help showering, toilet (just pulling pants up and down) sitting up from an already sitting up position. Reaching out for anything for at least 5 days was impossible as well. So thankful I had my mum to help because I wasn't really prepared for the pain or the limitations. I hope that doesn't make it sound scary but I wish I had of been aware of the level of pain prior, but just remember everyone is different! Good luck!

Everyone is different. I had my surgery yesterday morning and so far I feel good I'm even off pain killers and I have no pain at all. It only hurts abit when I try get up coz u can't use your hands but I handle pain good. I think u will be fine preparing own meals etc . I have had someone with me just to feel secure. I like knowing I have someone next to me. But other than that I'm just laying down relaxing unless I need to get up. If anything I find it weird how good I feel

2 hours ago, Bella93 said:

Everyone is different. I had my surgery yesterday morning and so far I feel good I'm even off pain killers and I have no pain at all. It only hurts abit when I try get up coz u can't use your hands but I handle pain good. I think u will be fine preparing own meals etc . I have had someone with me just to feel secure. I like knowing I have someone next to me. But other than that I'm just laying down relaxing unless I need to get up. If anything I find it weird how good I feel

We sound like we had very similar recoveries :) I'm just curious to know how you're sleeping at night? I had no pain at all and was off meds day 1 but even then I just couldn't sleep through the night for the first week or so. It was mainly due to the different feel - heavy and a tad uncomfortable from the weight, plus sleeping elevated. 

I'm 12 days post op from a lift and unders and I've found it to be a lot harder than expected. I'm glad I had my hubby to help me out especially for the first few days. I couldn't open a fridge, make food, put shirts on etc. I was so out of it for the first week atleast on painkillers, I just lazed around so probably could have gotten by. I was able to do some basic things for myself like go to the toilet.  Travelling on the 5th day would be very stressful though. But everyone handles pain different. Personally Im glad I am close by to my surgeon as I've found the post op recovery to be a very stressful time and its reassuring to know my surgeon is close by.

7 hours ago, LaurenT said:
7 hours ago, LaurenT said:

We sound like we had very similar recoveries :) I'm just curious to know how you're sleeping at night? I had no pain at all and was off meds day 1 but even then I just couldn't sleep through the night for the first week or so. It was mainly due to the different feel - heavy and a tad uncomfortable from the weight, plus sleeping elevated. 

I just woke up from about a 7 hour sleep. The sleeping is the worst part my back is starting to feel sore and the whole elevated sleeping is ***** but I have no pain my sleep was better then last night so hopefully it keeps getting better. The only problem I'm having is I feel neusous and I think that's from the pain killers I took on day one. I'm post op day 2 and Might even go out for dinner for my sisters bday today lol its not what I expected. 

Everyone recovers differently and reacts to the GA diff as well. Help is of course the best option but if you're recovery is not horrendous you should be able to do most things by yourself. I found I was quite tired and your body tells you when you've done too much so that's a pretty good indicator. I had surgery with Dr M and have 2 kids. The hardest thing for me was trying to deal with my 1 year old. Just make sure everything you need is in easy reach as you can't stretch your arms much to start. Also they won't let you leave the hospital on your own after the surgery so you'll at least have to have someone take you back to your hotel. 

I've had 3 BA's completely on my own and needed zero help - I actually prefer it!

I don't like people seeing me when I don't look my best...lol...

I'm going in for my 4th later this year & again will be recovering on my own :)

You'll be absolutely fine....as the other ladies have said just take it slow and know your limitations, best of luck with it x

If you have had 3 kids you will be fine. Seriously. It is not much different from having your milk come in. Your boobs have done all the stretching already so will cope fine. It will be a walk in the park compared to a c-section.

I was also in your situation and was going to travel to Miroshnik from the GC. I love his work…he is amazing….but also has a great PR team and following insta loving post op beauties. If you dig around there are also some excellent surgeons in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I spent a long time researching. I have just been to Dr Layt and more than happy. He is not really my 'cup of tea' in the personality area but he is polite and good at what he does. Good luck xx

I had 550 hp under the muscle done yesterday and am home alone taking care of myself very sore but managing fine, I can get up and down use the toilet get water all the basics but I can not open my pain pill bottle its impossible...I would not want to be that far from home after such a painful surgery I definitely would not want to travel... but everyone is different and you really won't know how your experience will go until it happens its kind of a gamble.