Venus

Recovery and exercise after op

Might be a strange question. Im very fit and I gave trained really hard. Wanting to get breast implants but worried about recovery time. How long did it take you to resume exercise. I jog 8kms every day and I'm worried I won't be able to exercise. Did you put on weight after the op?

I'm interested also. I have just started really exercising in the last 3 months & am looking at having surgery June/July (shrinkage from losing weight) & I want to know when I can get back into it & if I'll be able to do the same stuff. I don't do weights but I do Tapout which does a lot of shoulder, plank type work. I know I'll be able to do a brisk walk but I don't want to put on any weight - other than boob weight!!

You can start walking almost immediately and easing into other exersize a that involve legs and abs from week 2. It is really the usage of the chest muscle you are trying to avoid for the 6 weeks.

I was back on my stationary bike by week 2.

Although the above does depend on what your plastic surgeon recommends of course.

If your worried about weight gain adjust your diet accordingly for the timeframe. 

I lost weight in the end - probably due to loss of muscle mass. I walked and cycled etc for first six weeks. I started slowly building back up to my regular routine at six weeks. 5months post op I was back same as preop in most things and started to get better than preop about then. 

I would urge you to make a fitness plan with your surgeon particularly as each surgeon has their own guidelines. I was not allowed to do any ab work or upper body work or weight lifting until week 3. Even then it had to be very light. I did not realise how much I used my chest with day to day stuff let alone exercise. This is major surgery you are having and so while I completely understand the frustration of not training (I am a gym junkie too!), you have to realise that the body is undergoing major healing. The last thing you want to do is end up hurting yourself and stuffing up the surgery. I stuck to everything my surgeon said and followed the fitness plan we created together.

I finally lost my Christmas weight after my BA. I went on a clean diet, drank lots of green juices and reduced sugar and caffeine dramatically :) I wasn't paranoid about weight gain but I did want to maximise healing. 

In the end, I didn't care too much about my fitness routine as my new boobs were amazing and I was committed to making sure I recovered well. They cost a packet so I wasn't going to go back to high impact activities etc. until I was good and ready. At almost 8 weeks PO, I'm still taking it easy. Quitting running has also been the best thing for my poor ageing knee :)

Taking a break from running won't be the end of the world and I am sure you'll get back into it in due course. If you are concerned, I would start transitioning your exercise routine to leg only cardio every other day. Start adapting now so when you slowly get back into the gym, you'll mentally feel good for doing at least some exercise.

I am a pretty experienced lifter and I am planning to just reduce my calories by say 300 in the few weeks after when I cant train, it is exactly what I did when I had a hernia repair and I did not put on weight in those 6 weeks. I am more concerned with losing strength! But at the end of the day fitness is a lifetime commitment so the few months recovery aren't going to ruin what you worked for :)

Hi, I am 2wks post op with 375cc over the muscle. I was advised I could do abs and legs but at a light level not pushing myself too much.

Although I am only 2wks post op I am loving my new boobs, but struggling with my body and I feel a little blue about it! 

See photo:

I've gained 4-5kgs of bloating from being on the medication which causes constipation. I am slowly deflating but still holding alot of weight and discomfort. I am going just let my body take its course and the medication is all finished now and hopefully I can loose that bloating. I ate 80% good during recovery I order fresh pre made calorie and portion controlled meals. I did this for convenience and weight management to ensure I wasn't eating bad also helped the boyfriend out when it came to getting me food.

I hope I can bounce back soon and wish you well with your surgery and recovery! 

image.jpeg