JessJN

Post-Op recovery tips.....go!

Hi ladies. I have my BA coming up on Monday. I'm after post-op recovery tips. Dealing with pain, sleeping tips, dealing with kiddies while recovering, and general suggestions from those who have been through it. 

Thanks lovelies ☺️

I'm day 4 post op, I'd suggest getting a wedge pillow if you can! I only have a boomerang pillow which is helpful but my butt and back are killing me! I was more comfortable in my hospital bed! I would also suggest some anti nausea medication for when you go home as the pain killers have made me feel a bit sick! And keep on top of pain meds too! Other than that I just mad sure I had heaps of Netflix, books, magazines etc to keep me occupied :) Good luck!

Drink well and eat well. I think recovery starts from the inside so I made sure I ate lots of anti-inflammatory food (greens, oily fish, pineapple etc.). Stock up on lots of fruit and veges to snack on. 

I'm not into fad foods/eating but I really felt good for eating well while recovering instead of reaching for Tim Tams etc. No feeling of blah :D I finally got into the good habit of drinking lots of water. Helps with bloating too.

Maybe freeze some meals for easy dinners for yourself and rest of family?

I recovered pretty well so I found I could do most things fine a few days PO. I felt sore but could still prepare meals etc. I just couldn't lift anything remotely heavy.

meal prep 

water bottle close by keep drinking as it helps with bloat after surgery 

keep everything you need at bend height to minimize lifting your hands above your head n reaching etc. 

take it easy listen to your body 

keep up with pain meds 

and ultise your support person as much as possible.  

get your pillow stack sorted before you leave so it's ready when you come home, the big V pillows are amazing 

Thanks so much ladies!!! All really useful tips. I'll be doing meal prep Sunday, as our house gets auctioned on Saturday, so I'm currently running around like a crazy lady in prep for this. 

Water bottles are a great idea too. 

Didnt know about needing the laxatives, but glad I do now. What day should I start taking these? 

Heading out tomorrow to hunt for the boomerang pillow. I heard that if you place a pillow under your knees, this helps your back when sleeping elevated. Has anyone tried this?

Yay @Ruby2015 where are you going for your BA on Monday? 

What kind of clothes do you wear & how do you get dressed? Didn't think you could lift your arms up. I've got a throat infection at the moment & have been bed ridden for the last 3 days & its driven me insane. Not sure how I'll handle recovery after a ba!!

I have been sleeping on a bed wedge for the past 2.5 weeks, best thing I ever bought. I thought it'd be easier than having to sleep on stacked pillows and I was worried about getting a sore back. 

Have all your meds in a little bowl near your bed ready to go in the middle of the night. I found I was waking up around midnight in pain for the 1st week and having the meds there next to me made life easy. 

Get your kids prepared. With mine I told them I was having an operation on my chest and I'd be very sore and I couldn't lift them up anymore, especially my youngest one :) they have been really good so far... Although yesterday my 4 year old told his friend at school pick up, my mummy has broken boobs and asked him if he wanted to have a look! 😳

Have a few PJ days

lots of water and fresh fruit

pillows lots of them... Behind you, under knees, prop up arms

Chargers and remotes handy

don't rush yourself. If you start to hurt rest up

keep up with your med... If you don't you'll start feeling off

7 hours ago, Laney79 said:

What kind of clothes do you wear & how do you get dressed? Didn't think you could lift your arms up. I've got a throat infection at the moment & have been bed ridden for the last 3 days & its driven me insane. Not sure how I'll handle recovery after a ba!!

Button up or zip up tops/hoodies or something you can step into and pull up. Loose comfy pants eg track pants. I wouldn't wear leggings they may be hard to get on. After my revision I needed help taking my surgical bra off and doing it back up again for the first 2 - 4 days. 

button up or zip up clothes. I also found my loose baggy tops and singlets r great especially hubby's ☺ 

I lived in my leggings but got hubby to help me with them ☺

it's easier if you have some trackies or cotton pants easy on n off 

9 hours ago, Cupcake85 said:

I would take the laxatives when you get home from surgery. A stool softener may be useful too. 

I learnt the hard way with this 😢 spent 5days in complete pain. damn anaèsethesia and meds 😡