Cupcake85

Hair cut help

My hair is super super thick. It's just sitting on the shoulders (but I wear it naturally curly so it springs up a bit) and it's layered but I am growing them out. It's bouncing out so badly like a triangle shape almost and I have an appointment coming up soon for colour and cut. 

Is a one length style a bad idea? I really have my heart set on a lob (long bob). Besides chopping it all off into a pixie cut again what can I do? It gets thinned out but honestly it makes no difference. I haven't had my hair this long for ages and I've forgotten how thick and unruly it gets. 

I feel ya pain! I have thick, long curly hair (although it's a lot less thick as I've gotten older). Haven't been to a hairdresser since 1996- the night of my school ball. They totally f*** it, I left in tears and my sister had to redo it. Hairdressers just don't know what to do with it. They're used to sensible, well-behaved straight hair.

So I just cut it myself- I've never layered it. I trim the front and back at different lengths to provide shape (and avoid a Cousin It look). You can have it one length, it always curls at different heights anyway depending on humidity, hair product- the alignment of the moon with Jupitor- lol! 

Do you put any product in it to get it to behave? Sounds like it might be ultra dry? That's curly hair's biggest problem. I used these wonderful products from a salon in Melbourne but they've discontinued them. I actually rang them from WA for advice of what to use instead. They told me flat out there "is no shampoo or conditioner for curly hair". After hunting round the internet I found and ordered "Jessicurl" products to help manage the frizz and set the curl. They do a reasonably good job! I add hair oils and mousse though to get it to behave. 

Sorry I haven't solved your problem really- but I do believe layering isn't necessary if you use styling products. If you find a hairdresser who knows how to cut curly hair let me know- I gave up looking!

The ends are a mess (I've changed my colour far too many times and now I'm paying for it). I bought organic shampoo and conditioner with coconut oil in it and that works wonders. I literally use coconut oil in my hair as it's so dry no amount of leave in products do anything. 

I'm debating whether to chop it all off into a pixie cut. Pros - easy to maintain, healthy hair. Con - have wanted long hair for ages and making progress, fiancé hates short hair (he's not the one who's fighting a daily battle with it though). 

I used to cut my own fringe but not that I'm growing it out I've left it alone. I found JT's really good for hair cuts. They are good at blonde too - no other hairdresser has ever gotten my regrowth silver platinum it was always yellow with white ends and shat me to tears. 

20 minutes ago, Cupcake85 said:

The ends are a mess (I've changed my colour far too many times and now I'm paying for it). I bought organic shampoo and conditioner with coconut oil in it and that works wonders. I literally use coconut oil in my hair as it's so dry no amount of leave in products do anything. 

I'm debating whether to chop it all off into a pixie cut. Pros - easy to maintain, healthy hair. Con - have wanted long hair for ages and making progress, fiancé hates short hair (he's not the one who's fighting a daily battle with it though). 

I used to cut my own fringe but not that I'm growing it out I've left it alone. I found JT's really good for hair cuts. They are good at blonde too - no other hairdresser has ever gotten my regrowth silver platinum it was always yellow with white ends and shat me to tears. 

Haha- great minds think alike it seems! Over the years I've tried sesame oil, coconut oil, apricot oil and e.v olive oil on my hair. Sesame is very thick but does a great job but it's easy to overdue it and look greasy. Coconut oil is very light so very "forgiving" if you use too much. I use a very, very light amount of e.v olive oil atm (along with a few squirts of Garner Miracle oil) before shampooing and it really helps make it curl and sit (along with mousse post showering). I do like coconut oil though- even used on the skin. 

Ah yep, men hate short hair on women.  A lot of them see it as blokey. My last bf openly voiced his hatred for short hair on women. I know I get a fair amount of interest because men are a sucker for very long curly hair. Hits a button in their primitive brains! 

I know the general rule is to chop damaged hair and start again... but I just trim, trim, trim every few months to try and deal with dead looking ends. I've never dyed my hair though so I can't comment on how to treat hair damaged from that. I've read the ammonia in the dye forces the cuticles to stay open which is what ruins it long term. 

The sexist shallow part of me says, if possible, keep growing it and go for the long sexy curls. Even women tell me how much they like my hair. Maybe consult with the hairdresser and ask if there's a way to keep growing it and better ways to manage the unruliness. I find the longer it is, the easier it sits. The weight helps drag it flat. I can't imagine cutting it short- it would go mental!

My hair only curls when it's long. If I cut it short it doesn't sit poker straight but it also doesn't curl especially if I throw in my miracle powder. It's Loreal techni art and it's a little powder that stops the fluffiness. It's only recently because my hair is almost shoulder length (with shorter layers) that it's really starting to curl nicely. I do know the chop it all off rule we did trim 2cm off the length (don't know how much was taken off the layers) and it was thinned out but unfortunately it's just too damaged. Yep my man definitely thinks it's blokey, well he thinks other things too that I won't repeat because I'm sure the politically correct will attack me. I wish I could go between long and short hair with a magic wand and not have to grow it all out again. I've seen a pixie cut I'm in love with. No product in my hair today I wanted to see how it would look and feel after washing it, yeah it feels like cr@p. 

19 minutes ago, Cupcake85 said:

Yep my man definitely thinks it's blokey, well he thinks other things too that I won't repeat because I'm sure the politically correct will attack me. I wish I could go between long and short hair with a magic wand and not have to grow it all out again. I've seen a pixie cut I'm in love with. No product in my hair today I wanted to see how it would look and feel after washing it, yeah it feels like cr@p. 

YES- I too "cleaned up" my ex's comments- haha! Something about short haired ladies preferring women and other less than complimentary stereotypes ;) Hmm, maybe get the pixie cut, which would solve the problem of the split ends and start growing it out from there? Although you may be stuck with that awkward "growing out" phase down the track. Sounds like you're at that stage now- but with the damaged hair issue. If there's no way of salvaging it then maybe the decision has already been made for you? Hmm, I'm afraid I'm no help. Long hair works for me so that's what I stick with. You could go the final "short hair hurrah" then aim for long, healthy locks. 

22 minutes ago, imperfectly_lou said:

I have super thick, coarse hair (it takes over 7 hours to dry naturally) and the best thing I ever did was get Keratin put through it... It's annoying as hell because you can't even tuck your hair behind your ears for 72hrs but it has made it so much more manageable. 

Does a keratin treatment straighten your hair? Is it suitable if you want to keep your curls? I know what you mean about drying time. I look like a wet dog most of the day. Looks wonderful right before bedtime- haha!

The awkward growing out phase has never ended for me. It's not as bad now despite the shorter layers and stupid in between fringe because I have length. I will try to persevere with it and if another trim doesn't help then I will probably go for it. I've looked into the keratin treatments before (unsure if they take away your curls though) and they were out of my price range. 

I have super thick, coarse hair (it takes over 7 hours to dry naturally) and the best thing I ever did was get Keratin put through it... It's annoying as hell because you can't even tuck your hair behind your ears for 72hrs but it has made it so much more manageable. 

1 hour ago, Suki said:

YES- I too "cleaned up" my ex's comments- haha! Something about short haired ladies preferring women and other less than complimentary stereotypes ;) Hmm, maybe get the pixie cut, which would solve the problem of the split ends and start growing it out from there? Although you may be stuck with that awkward "growing out" phase down the track. Sounds like you're at that stage now- but with the damaged hair issue. If there's no way of salvaging it then maybe the decision has already been made for you? Hmm, I'm afraid I'm no help. Long hair works for me so that's what I stick with. You could go the final "short hair hurrah" then aim for long, healthy locks. 

Does a keratin treatment straighten your hair? Is it suitable if you want to keep your curls? I know what you mean about drying time. I look like a wet dog most of the day. Looks wonderful right before bedtime- haha!

It will relax the hair but it's not designed as a straightener.... My hair is naturally frizzy so I've lost most of the frizz but still have a natural wave. 

24 minutes ago, Cupcake85 said:

The awkward growing out phase has never ended for me. It's not as bad now despite the shorter layers and stupid in between fringe because I have length. I will try to persevere with it and if another trim doesn't help then I will probably go for it. I've looked into the keratin treatments before (unsure if they take away your curls though) and they were out of my price range. 

A friend with very different hair to mine once said "You could never layer your hair." She said it'd go like a triangle. I've no idea if she was right or not, but I believed her at the time. Sounds like your hair is proving her theory right. maybe ask your stylist about the effect not layering it would have on the shape?

On 4/12/2016 at 6:44 PM, imperfectly_lou said:

Which keratin do you find best?

Nothing that this style of bob is low-maintenance only if you have straight hair. When my hair was shorter and bobbed I was always after it with a straightening iron and tons of product.
I have fine, thick, wavy hair and life is infinitely easier when I did bob with balayage hairstylezz.com/best-asymmetrical-short-long-bob-hairstyles/2/
You and your hairdresser should figure out how to work with, not against, your natural hair texture stylecaster.com/beauty/7-ways-to-update-your-bob/ . My hair looks so much better now that I work with it, and don't use a lot of styling product or heated tools.