Belle333

Day surgery for revision (dr dona) or overnight stay

I have had quite a few consults for revision surgery and I'm now possibly looking at dr dona. His offices said that he performs revision as day surgery so you are not required to stay overnight. Each of the other consultations with surgeons (4 consults) have said that revision is more complicated and they require you to stay overnight in hospital.

im just wondering if anyone has any comments on this? Has anyone gone with the day surgery option? My original surgery in 2010 required that I stay overnight. 

Dr dona looks to do some good revision work. The surgeon I was planning on going with in Canberra didn't have any revision photos available for me to look at which kind of put me off... 

5 hours ago, Abevemi said:

I had revision surgery 2 weeks ago - just over 3 hours on the operating table.  I was admitted at 7am and was going home at 2pm same day.  Nothing in the world compares to your own bed.

True but I would be travelling up to Sydney for it 👎🏼 would have to book a hotel!

2 hours ago, sullengirl said:

I had revision with Dr Dona. Admitted 7am, out by lunch time :) 

How was your revision with Dr Dona? Did it all go well? I tend to read good things about him 😊

Also, Did you have drains for the revision? One of the other consults said that you tend to bleed more for revision and that's why drains are usually used. 

I think it depends why you are getting the revision.... Is it for a size change or to fix medical issues? I had a revision last week with Dr Miroshnik and stayed overnight due to having a huge amount of work done including removal of the old capsule, building a new capsule and an internal bra, as well as type and size of implant exchange. So I was happy to have stayed in over night and have the nurses there to help me and make sure if had all my meds on time etc... For a straight size change I think it wouldn't be so necessary to stay overnight as long as you have someone to care for you when you get home 

Oh I had drains in too, for 5 days post op. So the nurses taught me how to empty them and measure them before I went home the day after surgery. 

On 8 July 2016 at 1:45 PM, Brinkley said:

I think it depends why you are getting the revision.... Is it for a size change or to fix medical issues? I had a revision last week with Dr Miroshnik and stayed overnight due to having a huge amount of work done including removal of the old capsule, building a new capsule and an internal bra, as well as type and size of implant exchange. So I was happy to have stayed in over night and have the nurses there to help me and make sure if had all my meds on time etc... For a straight size change I think it wouldn't be so necessary to stay overnight as long as you have someone to care for you when you get home 

Oh I had drains in too, for 5 days post op. So the nurses taught me how to empty them and measure them before I went home the day after surgery. 

Yeah that's what I was kinda worried about.. I have capsular contracture so they will definitely have to remove the existing capsule with the revision! 

13 hours ago, Belle333 said:

Yeah that's what I was kinda worried about.. I have capsular contracture so they will definitely have to remove the existing capsule with the revision! 

I had capsular contracture in one breast and rupture in the other and had bilateral capsulectomy with implant exchange (larger) and sent home with drains the day of surgery. I didn't need hospital the recovery was less painful then the original surgery, go figure! 

My surgery wasn't with dr dona though...

Same.  Have had 5 revisions, all day surgery.  Complex capuslectomies with cc, and complications with brazillian implants adhered to my own breast tissue which required them to be cut out (along with my breast tissue). Still day surgery, with drains.

Personally I think whichever surgeon you decide to go with should be the one to tell you whether you'll need an overnight hospital stay or they are comfortable for you to go home/to a hotel, as they will have a better idea of whether your revision is likely to be complex or straightforward.

On 04/07/2016 at 11:01 AM, Belle333 said:

I have had quite a few consults for revision surgery and I'm now possibly looking at dr dona. His offices said that he performs revision as day surgery so you are not required to stay overnight. Each of the other consultations with surgeons (4 consults) have said that revision is more complicated and they require you to stay overnight in hospital.

im just wondering if anyone has any comments on this? Has anyone gone with the day surgery option? My original surgery in 2010 required that I stay overnight. 

Dr dona looks to do some good revision work. The surgeon I was planning on going with in Canberra didn't have any revision photos available for me to look at which kind of put me off... 

Hi @Belle333 i am booked for a full anchor lift with Dr Dona on September 9 and surgery will be at Norwest Private. He has said only day surgery but as i have full PHI i can pay to stay the night if i wanted.

I will be travelling around 3 hours for surgery but i am going to go home... nothing like going home to your own bed.  

I will be returning in 6-12 months to then have my implants as i have way to much natural breast tissue atm for him to give me my implants at the same time. Is a bummer but i trust his judgement.

There is a few hotels around Norwest that are close by, or depending on which Hospital you are at it there is sure to be accommodation close by.

The girls in his rooms are fabulous and i am sure that they could advise you on something that's close by if needed.

Best of luck for your revision whomever you choose!