Cover story... ;)

EmT

I'm driving myself a little bit nutty trying to get my head around whether I'm going to tell people close to me or not.

I've told my 2 best friends who are both super supportive like I knew they'd be. I'm now mainly just worried about my parents, sister and brothers noticing and questioning me, which I know they will. So I'm thinking I might just say I'm having lots of cysts removed and having some implants put in to fill in the space. It's true that I have lots of cysts but they are harmless and don't actually need to be removed. I feel like this story would cover why I'm sore for a few weeks and why I suddenly have bigger breasts. 

My dad is also planning to take me skydiving soon so I sort of need to be able to give him a reason for why we need to wait a year or so. 

So, what do you ladies think? Would this story work or do you have one you're using?

P.S yes, I feel bad lying but my sister has THE biggest mouth, haha, and this is just so personal that I'd rather keep as much of it to myself as I can without being questioned too much.

Hey @EmT, Iv honestly been conflicted with this same issue hey.. Iv told a few people like people I'm not even really friends with just for conversation on facey and stuff !! But I'm so so so scared to tell my closest girl friends.

just so worried they may be jelouse or try and make me feel like I don't need them. I dunno, so I'm thinking I'm just gonna wait until Iv actually got them done and just be like well yea I got my boobs done finally .. By then it's too late their already on my chest the only thing they can do now will be either complement them or don't !! 

Hmm, maybe you ladies are right. Maybe I should just tell the truth...

I'm not worried about my girlfriends, I know they'll all support me. My sister will support me 100%. My brothers will be weirded out, haha, but they won't make me feel uncomfortable or judged. Not sure what my parents reactions would be though. They'll stress about the money I think. 

I'm just so torn. I never lie, ever. Ugh.

Better to tell the truth. I only planned to tell a few people and then ended up telling most people. There are still a few people that don't know, l don't care if they do but they haven't asked and l haven't volunteered.

I would just tell your family, if you hate lying better to get it out or it will eat away at you. Good luck :)

I think tell your immediate family dad mum brother sister etc I have told mine but not my father as he lives in a nursing home and I'll just cover up for the next few months it's just easier, I have talked about it in passing around my siblings but not directly told them I think they just figure it out but both have autism so don't really care, I'm the youngest at 36.

My best friend knows and I told a few other close female relatives and they got excited thinking another baby but I said implants and they got shocked like they didn't want to talk about my body with them, after that I decided I'm not stressing as I have hidden it for so long nobody knew I need them so I'm keeping it hush, not for them but I feel I don't need to explain myself and feelings I have inside so if they notice so be it.

I'm terrible at remembering lies so I would tell the truth especially to your dad etc but other people you don't need to explain :)

I was worried about how my (very conservative!) parents would react and initially I wasn't going to tell them. They live in the UK and I'm in Oz so I thought, there's no need to tell them and have the judgement etc. But in the end, as it's major surgery and I knew my mum would be upset if (/when!) she found out afterwards I decided to tell them. Turned out they were amazing and super supportive about the whole thing! And I felt much better having told them the truth. I have had some friends who I told beforehand and were 'against' the idea / not very supportive so I just didn't really discuss the topic with them again! I think the lie could get messy as it goes down the track and they start getting more involved in the details etc, so it would be easier to just tell them the truth.

@EmT i stressed about telling my parents too but in the end just said something along the lines of: "So, i have some news that I want to tell you.. i've booked in to have breast surgery on the X. " then i explained that breastfeeding really affected them and as a result has impacted my self esteem, so it's something that is important for me to do. 

They were very surprised I think, but have been supportive. I think you"ll feel a lot better once you've told yours. If you're just honest and explain why you're doing it (self esteem etc) then I'm sure they'll respond to you being genuine about your reasons. 

Thank you all so much. I really really appreciate the responses. I definitely feel better and a lot more confident about telling them now. 

So silly that I'm 37 and I've been stressing so much about telling them! Haha. I just value their opinons so much and hate the thought of them thinking badly of me. I'm sure once I explain why I'm having it done they'll understand and support me. Just took talking about it more to get my head around it I guess :)

I haven't told my mum & im scared to. She is very judgmental & doesn't believe in doing anything to your body. She won't understand my reason for doing it & knowing her, won't speak to me for a while - this has happened before. So I'm holding off for as long as possible & might just wait until she notices, which she will. Anyone else had a bad parent reaction?

3 hours ago, Laney79 said:

I haven't told my mum & im scared to. She is very judgmental & doesn't believe in doing anything to your body. She won't understand my reason for doing it & knowing her, won't speak to me for a while - this has happened before. So I'm holding off for as long as possible & might just wait until she notices, which she will. Anyone else had a bad parent reaction?

Hi @Laney79, I know that my family would be weirded out and potentially pretty judgemental if I told them. So I haven't told them and they haven't noticed nor asked. I went a pretty conservative size because I didn't want it to be obvious that I've had it done, so that probably helped. So I've only told 2 of my closest friends and they were supportive and ver interested (and surprised that I wanted it done in the first place).

So only do what your comfortable with. It's your body and your boobs - so only you decide who you let in on your news. 

I'm feeling the same @RH4K! Now that my parents know I feel like no one else's opinions matter so I don't care at all who else knows. If anyone asks I'll just tell the truth because I'm so comfortable with my decision. My gosh I feel so much better now that this doesn't have to be a secret anymore!

I told my sister tonight too and she was so happy for me and now wants to get hers done too, haha. I wish I'd told her earlier, we could've been getting them done together. I don't think there's much chance of my surgeon squeezing her in in 16 sleeps though... ;)

6 hours ago, Laney79 said:

This is the same as me. My mum is a larger lady and has big boobs. she would also disagree with me getting a BA because her sister had one done about 40 years ago and had problems. makes it harder though because I don't have a sister so I will be recovering on my own. not sure what Im going to tell my 8 yr old daughter yet. I don't want the whole neighbourhood and school knowing. so trying to think of back operations that aren't too serious that might need a small surgery.

Only told two close friends and my hubby - all supportive. Both my parents have died, but if they were alive I doubt I'd have told them. Love them dearly, but they would never have understood and it would have worried them too much.

Didn't go too big + always wear (or should say "wore" :)) padded bras, so no-one's going to know. And it's no-one's business. I'm not hanging myself out to be judged by anyone, not my siblings, not friends, not school mums…no-one. I wouldn't tell them I'd had an op for, say, a hernia so why should I tell them I've had a boob job???

Didn't tell my three kids either - would have spread like wildfire through the school. They just know that Mum had surgery on her chest and is now recovering. Do not mention the word "boobs" or even "breasts" is my advice when it comes to what to tell kids!! My eldest (15) will work it our eventually….like when I wear bathers come summer…..but it'll be ancient history by then. Until then there's no nudie runs through this household for moi.

Maintaining my privacy is just one of the many benefits of doing this in the winter months and having the recovery done and dusted well in time for summer!!!

xx

On 14 August 2016 at 9:15 AM, EmT said:

Thanks so much everyone. You're all right, the truth it is!

So, how did you tell your family? Did you just blurt it out? I found it so easy to tell my girlfriends but I just can't even begin to think of how I'll tell my parents.

Two friends know, but that's all. Oh, and my husband of course.

I don't plan to offer information to anyone, if they ask I'll tell, but not otherwise. It's a private and personal matter. 

My mum would definitely not have a positive or good reaction, hence my not wanting to tell her. But, if she notices anything or asks, I'll tell her the truth.