No Breast Augmentation is Perfect!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

I thought I'd make a post about this because we're all so critical of ourselves and our bodies. We notice every minor flaw and the slightest changes, especially after something like a breast augmentation. We spend a lot of money trying to get the perfect set of boobs but perfect doesn't exist. I don't just mean this in a 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' kind of way but there is only so much a plastic surgeon can do. There are trade-offs for every placement type, profile, surface or shape used. Sometimes I think we expect too much and it only makes us miserable! It's perfectly reasonable to expect a great result but not a perfect one.

I'm saying this because it's something I've had to tell myself, otherwise I would've gone crazy when I noticed the minor rippling in my cleavage this morning. I also know I'm not the only one! I knew rippling was a possibility with my thin frame, especially as I was going over the muscle. I was terrified of it happening and thought it'd be one of the worst possible outcomes to experience. I did freak out. I've been able to feel some minor rippling in my cleavage since week 2 but wasn't bothered by it as it was so minor and I only really noticed it in the shower under the hot water and it wasn't visible at all, only palpable. Today, when I got out of the shower and was trying on bras, I noticed that if I scoop my boob up and then let it drop suddenly, some ripples appear for about a second. They go away. They aren't there if I'm just standing front on, leaning forwards or pushing them up in a bra, just when I do the motion I described. But I seriously panicked. And maybe I have reason to worry. If they become visible just standing without a bra or in a push-up bra, that is definitely worth being concerned about. Then I realised, why am I panicking? They look great. They can't be perfect because they're not mine. Had I gone under the muscle, I wouldn't have been able to get the cleavage I desired because of the way my boobs sit on my chest. Had I gone with a shaped implant, they may have had no ripples but may have been firmer than I like. All of this stress for something that appears for only a second when I forcefully lift them up and let go. I can't even see it when I look down at them and do it, only in the mirror in the bright bathroom lighting. I mean, really. I know I'm not the only one who judges their boobs in this way. The same goes for girls who end up with slight asymmetry and become self-conscious, thinking that it's obvious and really, in a bra they look totally identical and any guy who sees them would think they're spectacular, and not even notice any asymmetry! I had a similar moment about a week ago. I was getting dressed in the dark in my walk-in robe and had the bathroom light on, so could see myself in the bathroom mirror. As I lifted my arms up to put my shirt on, my boobs looked really stuck on and I freaked out! I walked into the light and did the same motion and they looked fine. It was just the way the shadows fell in the dark that made them look that way but I panicked and made such a big deal of it to myself. My point is, despite how great photos of other people's BAs look, none of them are perfect. They all have faults. You just don't see them or get to inspect them as clearly. You only see your own and you judge them so harshly. Nobody's perfect. :) 

I totally agree. I think all of this is one of the biggest reasons that I am glad I've waited until I'm 37 to have it done. When I was younger I feel like I would've been so critical of myself. Now, I know that no one's perfect so I can't expect myself to be. I'm sure there will be imperfections but keeping this positive way of thinking is necessary with or without surgery :)

absolutely and REALLY listen to what your PS tells you - don't just listen to the bits you want to hear ;)

One of the first things my PS told me once we had discussed what I wanted, what I wanted to end up with etc, was "yes, that's completely doable, they will look much better in a bra that size".  I've never forgotten he said that and you know what, he's right...they look freaking awesome in a bra.

And when they tell you that you will have the same issues without implants, be it assymetry or wide sitting breasts - LISTEN.

Well said @Nay and @Myturn.

Breast implants won't change your anatomy - they will just enhance what you already have and this often means anything you might perceive as 'imperfections'. 

It's so hard to not compare your results to other people's and wonder 'why don't my boobs look like that?!'.  It's so important to be realistic and not too hard on yourself.  

Isn't it funny - some people might think getting implants will help with self confidence, but then you get them and they open up a whole new can of worms haha.  

Such wise words from everyone! If only we could listen to ourselves! :lol:

@EmT I couldn't agree more! I'm so glad I did this at 28 and not say, 20. I was so much more insecure in myself when I was younger and I think I would've had unrealistic expectations. Not to mention I was also struggling with an eating disorder and had a somewhat distorted view of my body already. 

@Myturn It's so true that you need to put your faith in your PS. Although you can't change your anatomy, there are certain techniques that are more suited to one person than another because of this and plastic surgeons know how to use that information to give the optimal outcome for YOU. This may mean doing things differently than how you'd decided based on your own research but they're the experts. One size does not fit all. 

@tilly17 You're so right about it opening up another can of worms sometimes. Instead of focussing on that fact the they're too small, you might now be focussed on the fact that they're not quite even or you nipples are slightly off-centre. That's why I think it's so important to go into it with your head in the right place, well-informed about the possible complications and with realistic expectations based on your own anatomy and what the surgeon has said he can achieve for you.

I think we're so lucky here to have the support from each other and to be able to discuss the problems we face along the way. My experience has been pretty smooth sailing but I was so well prepared because of the past girls on here sharing their journey and the August group who went through the surgery at the same time as me. 

Totally agree @Nay!  I'm so grateful for this forum.  I don't think I would have done it if I couldn't talk to other people and read what others had been through.  Without all this info, I could have potentially been very upset with my outcome because I would have expected it to be absolutely perfect when that just isn't a possibility.  

@Bellaaa Yeah, those spam posts are driving me insane! 

I think it does get better. You become more comfortable in your own skin. Having said that, I'm terrified of getting old and looking it so maybe it doesn't! Haha. Maybe you become comfortable being you and then you age and the hate starts all over again (I hope not!). I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to improve your appearance and feel more confident about the way you look. I think there's a point where it can become obsessive and unhealthy though. If your self-esteem is defined by your appearance and you place a lot of value on attractiveness, that can lead to unhappiness. I mean, you're going to end up being miserable someday because we all get old and you're chasing something that's unachievable! I don't think you're crazy. I think being a woman in todays world is hard. Women are judged so harshly on their appearance whereas men are allowed to have  a few wrinklesarrow-10x10.png and still be considered sexy. 

Great post 

I agree with all your comments . I did so much research which helped me with realistic expectations. This forum was a huge part of that and a special thanks to everyone who posted before and afters including the frankenboob stage . I can only imagine how freaked out  I would have been if I wasn't prepared for that as I'm sure I went through the longest frankenboob stage ever ! 

I went with a heap of my "dream boobs "    to show my surgeon .

He shut me down straight away telling me " there's no point in showing me somebody else's boobs , it's like showing me photo of a top model , I can't make you look like someone else so you need to keep  that in mind along with realistic expectations ". 

I am 100% happy with my decision and thankful for the honesty from bry my surgeon and all the girls here on this forum. 

I'm not on here much these days as I have no need to be but I do try and pop in now and again to help with advice for the newbies.