Sign in to follow this  
Honeycakes

I have whooping cough and my surgery got cancelled. :(

Please cheer me up because I feel like the world is against me.

Surgery was booked for 27th Sept with Dr Miroshnik. Im flying from Brisbane to Sydney for the Surgery.

I had a dry cough last couple of days which I went to the dr about. she tested me for a few things and rang today to confirm I have whooping cough!

Long story short both Dr Miroshnik and Anaesthetist have decided to postpone the surgery for at least another month.

Im devastated to say the least. I booked the surgery back in May to coincide with school holidays so that my husband could fly down and look after me with the kids. he is the only one that can because family don't support my BA and my friends also have kids.

Accommodation was booked and is non refundable so I have just lost $6000 for that.

Flights x 5 - not sure about that yet.

I've been given some reschedule dates in November but they would be outside school holidays so this would mean I go down to Sydney for the surgery by myself, hire a nurse to check me out of hospital on the day and stay there for a week and fly home by myself. :( 

Check if you have any insurances on your credit cards if you used them to book. And make sure you get a medical certificate. It seems crazy that you wouldn't be able to move flights/accommodation seeing it's two weeks away and you're very unwell! 

17 minutes ago, Beautiful_Mind said:

Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear that! The financial loss makes it extra sucky. Did you mean $600 for accommodation or $6000? :o Did you ask the place if you could just reschedule for a different date rather than receive a refund. That's a bit harsh!

yes $6000. it was a private booking is a house on the Stayz website. Im still waiting back from the owner but I think I might be kissing that money goodby!  the flights maybe transferrable though.

Really sorry to hear this. Just devastating news when it's so close!

Re flights, you can arrange a date change.  You'll be up for a change fee + any difference in the fare. You shouldn't have to forfeit your fares if you're all still travelling (BUT if your family is no longer travelling with you I don't imagine you'll get a refund for those unless you purchased fully flexible fares).

Hope your accommodation shows you some compassion! Very likely that they could re-let during school holidays (that's usually the proviso for getting your money refunded - although you will def lose your deposit).

Wishing you all the best. I hope it works out ok for you. Sorry to hear about the sucky news. I would've been inconsolable. 

11 minutes ago, Ittybittyk said:

Really sorry to hear this. Just devastating news when it's so close!

Re flights, you can arrange a date change.  You'll be up for a change fee + any difference in the fare. You shouldn't have to forfeit your fares if you're all still travelling (BUT if your family is no longer travelling with you I don't imagine you'll get a refund for those unless you purchased fully flexible fares).

Hope your accommodation shows you some compassion! Very likely that they could re-let during school holidays (that's usually the proviso for getting your money refunded - although you will def lose your deposit).

Wishing you all the best. I hope it works out ok for you. Sorry to hear about the sucky news. I would've been inconsolable. 

thank you ittybitty!

I AM inconsolable!!! thanksfully the accommodation people did show a lot of compassion afterall. they rang me back and said I could have a full refund. so so kind. I think the flights will work out. they were on points so they should be able to transfer them back to us.

its just the whole rescheduling thing and problay going to go do this on my own. My Mum is 100% against BA so that's not an option to ask her to help. plus she hates flying. im thinking Of maybe asking for a refund on the surgery and postponing it another year or so. or maybe looking into surgeons at home in Brisbane instead.

17 minutes ago, LaurenT said:

That's such a shame but you should focus on getting better. The whooping cough can be terrible ?

But $6000 on accommodation sounds ridiculous! That's a decent overseas holiday!

I know it did seem a lot but when looking at booking a 3 bedroom apartment in Bondi junction  that was going to cost $5000. and the kids would have nothing to do!

I hope you get well soon :) I'm not sure how old your kids are but I think you should be OK going on your own if you feel confident to do so. It would be cheaper to stay in Sydney on your own and hire a nurse or carer than to get the whole family down from the sounds of it! Just depends if you felt you wanted someone close to you around rather than a stranger I guess? 

I think you shouldn't rule out surgery in November if you're fit for it. Recovery from BA isn't so bad and heck, a week in Sydney without the family?

I read about so many great surgeons in Brisbane too so that's another option. 

Either way, I'm sure it'll work out ;)

I'm so sorry to hear this Honeycakes. I've been following your posts as I'm also a Dr M girl and was very curious to read posts from you post-op. Remember that everything happens for a reason and you are still getting your new girls. I agree with JustRightForMe. Take it easy, get well and take the trip to Sydney and get cheered up as soon as you see your new assets ;)

I'm so glad to hear that you're getting a refund for the accommodation.

Please keep us posted!