I don't feel it has been worth it - the recovery is very long and difficult.

My tummy doesn't look great, I feel worse about how my belly looks now. Before I had loose skin and a large muscle separation (I really only had the surgery for the muscle repair) but now I have a super tight, unnatural looking belly with a hideous scar. 

I just think, for me, it was too drastic and if I could back I would not have the surgery.

I haven't had a tummy tuck, but I think it's normal to go through stages of being unsure if you made the right decision or not following a surgery that alters your appearance AND has a long recovery. You already know that during recovery, your body goes through many changes.  Try to remember that how you look now is not the final outcome and try to be easy on yourself.  You're very early in your recovery so you have got quite a while to go before you see your final outcome.  

I had a breast augmentation a few months ago and about 2 weeks into my recovery one of my breasts was much larger than the other and my nipples were asymmetrical.  Basically I looked REALLY wonky.  I knew that wasn't my final outcome, but it didn't stop me from getting down and feeling like crap though.  Everything worked out and I look fine now :) 

To make a long story short... don't let your current stage of recovery dictate how you feel over the whole thing.  It will pass and you will look much, much different in time.  

I'm also 3 weeks post surgery. I had a few friends have the same surgery so I knew about the long recovery and scar. I know the scar fades and we are nearly half way thru our recovery time! I guess the only thing I am concerned about is the lack of shape to my tummy. It is like a box! Stay positive- having your muscles back together will completely improve your quality of life. 

Thanks mummytummy79

I did know it was a long recovery and that I would have a huge scar but I guess the reality is worse than I imagined. My scar issue is placement - it is higher than I expected and won't be hidden by even modest, higher waisted underwear. Only thing I can do now is accept that and hope it heals nicely at least.

i am happy to have the muscle repair and hope that core support will improve my quality of life - I hope I can get over how it looks if I at least feel great with a strong core. I guess time will tell.

@InsertUserNameHere Aww lovely, you're still so early. It's normal to have such a range of emotions when you've been through something so huge. Give it time. Your scar will be looking it's worst around now. Have you checked out Simone Anderson on Youtube? She had a tummy tuck, bra line back lift, and breast lift and augmentation last year, and has done a whole series of videos about her recovery and scars etc. Check it out. xx 

On 05/11/2016 at 7:01 PM, InsertUserNameHere said:

I very much regret getting a tummy tuck - anyone else out there feel the same way? How did you come to terms with the regret?

Hi there i had my tt with mr ,bl and lipo 9 weeks ago i know how you feel i have struggled with the way i look too one side of my tummy hasn't been pulled as tight as the other and i have an overhang of fat and with my lipo on my legs he has taken more from one side than the other .. iwas just saying to my husband i feel worse about myself now i dont regret having it done but i know i am going to have revision which means i have to do this recovery thing all over again. 9 weeks  on i am still recovering . I had my incision open aftet 5 weeks and hot a nasty infection i still have 2 openings which are healing very slowly . I took 7 weeks of work anf i needed every bit . Your scar will get better over time and you will get used to your new body . It tskes s bit of getting used to i think it is a big change ... 😆

6 weeks post TT MR HR BL and BA revision 

I totally understand your feelings, I am only now starting to appreciate and the value and worth of my TT

like you the tightness was hideous, I also missed my old stomach I think because I was so use to it and the new tightness had me freaking out thinking that it will never soften etc I also had for the first time ever panic attacks each day a couple of times each day where the tightness and my over thinking set me of into a full anxiety panic breathing attack 

but I can say I am now ok and feeling "normal" my tummy has softened again and mobility is back..

it is a emotional roller coaster that we all go on but letting you know it's normal to have these feelings for goodness sake I even had separation anxiety from having a new belly button hahahaha my partner laughed at me and I can laugh at it now as well...

but take time and be kind to yourself it will be a long healing process physically and mentally I have mentally prepared myself for a year of recovery in all areas 

Thank you so much @Kazza you have described exactly what I am feeling! Gives me hope that I will come to appreciate things later down the road 😊

I miss my old tummy too - never thought that would be the case. I guess it is a shock to go from the soft tummy I was used to to an abnormally taut one - I look forward to it softening and regaining a bit more natural a look. 

I was not prepared for such an emotional reaction to this surgery.

Can I ask how you guys feel physically? I've told my boss I'll be back to work in 3 weeks. 3 weeks is still healing? Any exercise yet? Long walks?

Has you recovery been considered slow or normal? I think these feelings seem par for the surgery, sadly I'll be going through them alone in ess than a month so I guess I will find out.

Physically I feel okay but I definetly can not do long walks or exercise - my belly is still very tight and I can't fully stand straight which places a huge strain on my back. So I am slow to move and my back aches - I would not able to work comfortably at 3 weeks post op. I get tired very easily.

My recovery is considered to be normal and going well, some will be more upright at this stage but it isn't abnormal to still be somewhat hunched at this stage. 

The standard recovery time is Six weeks, this is a massive surgery. Everyone is different so some will be better quicker but some won't. I thought I would feel better than I do by now, I am usually a quick healer. You never know how you will react.

@InsertUserNameHere I wasn't either, my girlfriend had hers done two years ago and tried to warn me about the emotional aspect re: the detachment from our old tummy and I laughed at her thinking nahhhh I just want this gone BUT it is real it is a real emotion that shouldn't be ignored, for me I feel now looking back at that time as I was just not use to thaw taut feeling like gosh ever since my first baby at the age of 21 I've had loose sagging skin so one tends to get use to this as the new "norm" now we are having to get use to another "new"norm and I can say being 6.5weeks my tum tum is still taut but lax now especially in the mornings I feel "new norm" 

the saying time heals all I've never really believed in but in this aspect absolutely "time" does heal all including the emotional aspects xx

p.s I was so upset at losing my belly button the one thing that gave me life but I look at my new one now as my "new life being reborn" 😂😂😂😂 I know it's Cooky but that's where my head went in the early stages 😂😂😂😂 I can laugh now 

Thought I would update that I am feeling much more positive lately, i am still not overly happy with my result (the scar placement basically) but I am not as upset over it anymore - I think once I am more healed I will enjoy having my core back and a flat belly, the scar well - it's only a scar, not the end of the world.

thanks for all the supportive replies :) 

On 12/11/2016 at 9:06 AM, InsertUserNameHere said:

Thought I would update that I am feeling much more positive lately, i am still not overly happy with my result (the scar placement basically) but I am not as upset over it anymore - I think once I am more healed I will enjoy having my core back and a flat belly, the scar well - it's only a scar, not the end of the world.

thanks for all the supportive replies :) 

Hi @InsertUserNameHere how are you now with your decision to go ahead with the op, the scar and the new belly? i'm thinking about this too, but the scar scares the crap out of me.

On 03/02/2017 at 10:12 PM, NotHappyJan said:

Hi @InsertUserNameHere how are you now with your decision to go ahead with the op, the scar and the new belly? i'm thinking about this too, but the scar scares the crap out of me.

Honest answer - I am not happy and wish I had either not done it at all or went with a different surgeon. 

My scar is horrendous - but I think most people heal nicely and also have a scar that is easy hidden if it doesn't. I, unfortunately, have a super high scar that is can't be hidden by underwear or even pants (unless super high waisted) and my scar turned into a keloid and is very thick and horrid. 

It is unlikely you will end up with a scar like mine - most heal to a thin, white line - some fade so much they are barely noticeable. If you are prone to keloid I would make sure you seek a surgeon who will place the scar discreetly. I am not prone to keloid - I usually heal well, just got unlucky in this instance I suppose 🙁

Havinh core support is wonderful and I try to tell myself the scar is worth it to have that support back - however I am admittedly vain and an ugly scar is a hard pill for me to swallow.