BlingorBA

Flying Overseas Post Op

Hi everyone. My extended family are planning a holiday overseas for 3-4 week now in late Jan to March - in the middle of the time I was hoping to have my BA. I was thinking of tacking my BA on either before or after. I like the idea of 2-2.5 weeks before - so I can have my 2 week checkup - and that way they're a bit more settled before I have to return to work, but I wondered if there is a timeframe after surgery you have to wait for before you can fly overseas....

I'm at the 2.5 week mark and flying out this week on a holiday. I feel fine to do so, just be aware that you'll need assistance with carrying/pushing/pulling bags. If it's somewhere warm, you might not be able to wear bathers or swim right away, depending on your surgeon's recommendations. At the end of a long day you may be more tired, swollen and sore than usual too. Definitely doable, proving there's no complications!

Are you a quick healer? I went back to work (a physical job) after having 2 weeks off after surgery. I was very tired and needed to make sure I was in bed early each night. I know that's different to going on holiday. But my advice is to not have too high an expectation that you will bounce back so quickly after having major surgery. If you do go away with your family, then perhaps to make sure you have some quiet days where you can just rest and sleep.