Callan, Greensmith, or Rahdon?

Hi everyone. I haven’t had much help on the forum yet regarding my rhinoplasty journey, so trying again.

I will be needing SINUS SURGERY and RHINOPLASTY so have decided to go with a good plastic surgeon who also performs ent procedures or who consults with ent. 

I’m leaning towards Rahdon purely for the fact that I can save on a large amount of hospital fees due to his surgery being in a day hospital. He also consults with an ent if sinus surgery is required and beyond his scope, and both will attend the surgery. 

Greensmith is very highly regarded for rhino but admin advises he doesn’t consult with an ENT but may be able to perform some of it himself. Fees higher for him (approx $10k Surgeon fee, $7k for Rahdon).

Peter Callan also consukts with an ent if required and highly regarded.

Can anyone please advise on any of the above? Results would be great to see, prices as well. Any feedback at all. Thank you 

On 30/01/2018 at 4:21 PM, Moderator said:

If you would consider an ENT that also does Rhino Dr Stephen Kleid is great, I have seen his results which are fab, check out his reviews on the directory here

I have looked into him as well and am truly getting so confused as to who to see. I am giving myself 3 surgeons to visit each for a consult as I want to make sure I get the opinion regarding the sinus surgery too as some plastic surgeons can attend to sinus surgeries to a point and I may not need an ENT. I’m just more worried about the rhinoplasty results since they are what I’ll be able to see, so wondering if it’s better to start with a surgeon who’s amazing at rhinos and possible have an ENT consult with them, as opposed to the other way around? I’m just really confused 

16 minutes ago, MelbGal said:

I have looked into him as well and am truly getting so confused as to who to see. I am giving myself 3 surgeons to visit each for a consult as I want to make sure I get the opinion regarding the sinus surgery too as some plastic surgeons can attend to sinus surgeries to a point and I may not need an ENT. I’m just more worried about the rhinoplasty results since they are what I’ll be able to see, so wondering if it’s better to start with a surgeon who’s amazing at rhinos and possible have an ENT consult with them, as opposed to the other way around? I’m just really confused 

If your PRIMARY reason is for your sinus, I would really consider a consult with Dr Stephen Kleid. He is very thorough and his simulations compared to surgical outcomes are very similar. 
For what it is worth, I would let him operate on me.

On 05/02/2018 at 4:53 PM, TheFox said:

If your PRIMARY reason is for your sinus, I would really consider a consult with Dr Stephen Kleid. He is very thorough and his simulations compared to surgical outcomes are very similar. 
For what it is worth, I would let him operate on me.

Did you know Kleid charges $600 for a consult? It’s so hard when you want to do your best to choose a surgeon (I’m hoping to consult with 3 surgeons) when it’s so expensive. The other two I’ve booked with charge $100-200 which is fair. But $600 upfront? You can’t make the appointment without paying it immediately either 

7 minutes ago, MelbGal said:

Did you know Kleid charges $600 for a consult? It’s so hard when you want to do your best to choose a surgeon (I’m hoping to consult with 3 surgeons) when it’s so expensive. The other two I’ve booked with charge $100-200 which is fair. But $600 upfront? You can’t make the appointment without paying it immediately either 

I think it is so expensive because he pays a person to construct your projected outcome - he explained to me when I met him and it seemed like a very involved process but one which he finds worth it because of the realistic nature of the outcomes portrayed in the depictions

On 06/02/2018 at 7:39 PM, TheFox said:

I think it is so expensive because he pays a person to construct your projected outcome - he explained to me when I met him and it seemed like a very involved process but one which he finds worth it because of the realistic nature of the outcomes portrayed in the depictions

I dislike when they do that.  There was a lady back 10 + odd years ago in Sth Yarra  who drew up your outcome on a computer and worked with some surgeons.   They made you see her. Only the doctor operating should be the one who has any business doing depictions,  just IMO.  

That sounds viable for sure...I’m hoping to consult 3 surgeons before I decide and I feel like if I see him for $600 I probably couldn’t justify paying for 2 more consults with other surgeons (if that makes sense). I see Callan this week and then Rahdon in 2 weeks (who both consult with ENTs) so I think I’ll take it from there. I couldn’t get in with Kleid until April anyway. Thanks for your advice 

Sorry just wanted to confirm...do you mean I only see this other person that draws up the outcomes or do I also personally consult with him as well on the day?

22 minutes ago, MelbGal said:

That sounds viable for sure...I’m hoping to consult 3 surgeons before I decide and I feel like if I see him for $600 I probably couldn’t justify paying for 2 more consults with other surgeons (if that makes sense). I see Callan this week and then Rahdon in 2 weeks (who both consult with ENTs) so I think I’ll take it from there. I couldn’t get in with Kleid until April anyway. Thanks for your advice 

Sorry just wanted to confirm...do you mean I only see this other person that draws up the outcomes or do I also personally consult with him as well on the day?

NO you consult with him on the day, maybe worth calling to ask.
I do know that he is respected by his peers and was recommended to me by another surgeon if that helps.
Peter Callan has a very strong interest in rhinoplasty - he is always lecturing and running the conferences with world leaders in rhinoplasty so if you prefer to stay in Geelong he would be my pick. He is veryyyyyy passionate about Rhinoplasty and his patients seem to love him - ive been to his clinic before

26 minutes ago, MelbGal said:

I do know that he is respected by his peers and was recommended to me by another surgeon if that helps.
Peter Callan has a very strong interest in rhinoplasty - he is always lecturing and running the conferences with world leaders in rhinoplasty so if you prefer to stay in Geelong he would be my pick. He is veryyyyyy passionate about Rhinoplasty and his patients seem to love him - ive been to his clinic before

also to throw a spanner into the works - Dr Graeme Southwick in Melbourne is a dually qualified ENT and Plastic surgeon, so you might consider him also

1 hour ago, TheFox said:

also to throw a spanner into the works - Dr Graeme Southwick in Melbourne is a dually qualified ENT and Plastic surgeon, so you might consider him also

You’re so helpful thanks TheFox. Gosh i had an easier time choosing my boob surgeon ?

The reason I’m struggling to decide who to go with is because my GP doesn’t seem to think I’m a candidate for sinus surgery, and I think it’s because he thinks the problem lies within the septal spur I have which may be affecting the sinus drainage. So that’s why I’m focusing more on good plastic surgeons as they can complete the septal surgery along with the rest of the recon. Both Callan and Rhadon babe viewed my sinus CT and don’t believe an ENT will be required, and that all treatment is within their scope. So I’m confused as to weather I should still get advice from an actual ENT first, and if they say sinus surgery isn’t required, I stick with facial plastics for a full nose reco including the septal spur? So so so confused. 

With your knowledge of Callan and Rhadon, if they say they believe any of my sinus work is within their scope, they wouldn’t just be saying that to make me book them would they? It would be their honest opinion? 

2 hours ago, MelbGal said:

You’re so helpful thanks TheFox. Gosh i had an easier time choosing my boob surgeon ?

The reason I’m struggling to decide who to go with is because my GP doesn’t seem to think I’m a candidate for sinus surgery, and I think it’s because he thinks the problem lies within the septal spur I have which may be affecting the sinus drainage. So that’s why I’m focusing more on good plastic surgeons as they can complete the septal surgery along with the rest of the recon. Both Callan and Rhadon babe viewed my sinus CT and don’t believe an ENT will be required, and that all treatment is within their scope. So I’m confused as to weather I should still get advice from an actual ENT first, and if they say sinus surgery isn’t required, I stick with facial plastics for a full nose reco including the septal spur? So so so confused. 

With your knowledge of Callan and Rhadon, if they say they believe any of my sinus work is within their scope, they wouldn’t just be saying that to make me book them would they? It would be their honest opinion? 

I absolutely do not think Peter Callan would tell you that just so you book (I doubt Rahdon would either).

In fact, ive had numerous conversations with Peter Callan about my nose and he quite honestly told me if i came and saw him in his office he would kick me out (in a nice way lol)
basically he said he wouldnt operate on me because the risk outweigh the benefits.
I also had a proper consultation with Dr Shahidi and he told me the same thing. 

I think when it comes to rhinoplasty, they definitely don't want to operate on someone they cant help - its such a complex procedure that is on the face, no one wants an unhappy patient out there. its far easier and less of a headache to turn a patient away then it is to take their money and operate on them when you know they wont be happy with the results.

And FYI, if it was me choosing between Rahdon and Callan, I would choose Callan. He has such a passion for rhinoplasty that is endearing and encouraging. I appreciate someone who is always trying to learn and improve their craft.

10 hours ago, TheFox said:

I absolutely do not think Peter Callan would tell you that just so you book (I doubt Rahdon would either).

In fact, ive had numerous conversations with Peter Callan about my nose and he quite honestly told me if i came and saw him in his office he would kick me out (in a nice way lol)
basically he said he wouldnt operate on me because the risk outweigh the benefits.
I also had a proper consultation with Dr Shahidi and he told me the same thing. 

I think when it comes to rhinoplasty, they definitely don't want to operate on someone they cant help - its such a complex procedure that is on the face, no one wants an unhappy patient out there. its far easier and less of a headache to turn a patient away then it is to take their money and operate on them when you know they wont be happy with the results.

And FYI, if it was me choosing between Rahdon and Callan, I would choose Callan. He has such a passion for rhinoplasty that is endearing and encouraging. I appreciate someone who is always trying to learn and improve their craft.

Thanks so much for easing my mind. My husband and I were just saying the same thing last night, that why would they say that if it weren’t true when they can just ask an ENT to consult with them like they often do. He definitely is my first pick (outside of Greensmith in Melbourne) so not sure what I’ll do now.