What is your best piece of advice for breast augmentation recovery?

• be kind to yourself and rest, get your head around the idea that recovery takes time and you need to be patient with yourself
  • have healthy meals like soups/casseroles pre-made and in the freezer and only needing to be heated up (or someone who will cook for you :p )
  • lots of pillows
  • lots of magazines, books, netflix/foxtel subscription
  • nap whenever you can
  • button up shirts/tops and pull on shorts or skirts or trakkies
  • ice packs for pain and swelling (frozen peas work well)
  • drink lots of fluids, preferably water and some fresh juice, you need to stay hydrated and to help get the general anaesthetic out of your system
  • keep on top of your pain meds, this is not the time to be brave - if it hurts take that tablet, you have had major surgery and the first few days can be quite painful 

Being only 1 week post op myself, I'd definitely say:

- Don't put a timer on yourself. Be flexible with your return to work plan and don't force yourself to do things or go back to work if you're not up to it. Don't get too hung up on other people's recovery times. Everyone heals at their own stage and no one experience is going to be the same. Listen to your body and respond as such.

- Be kind to yourself. Surround yourself with supportive people that you feel comfortable venting to. You will be sore and upset and you need to be able to have people around to vent these frustrations to without judgment.

- Rest lots. Don't feel bad about resting or not doing what you're 'supposed' to be doing. Give your body time to repair in its own time.

3 hours ago, sabP said:
  • be kind to yourself and rest, get your head around the idea that recovery takes time and you need to be patient with yourself
  • have healthy meals like soups/casseroles pre-made and in the freezer and only needing to be heated up (or someone who will cook for you :p )
  • lots of pillows
  • lots of magazines, books, netflix/foxtel subscription
  • nap whenever you can
  • button up shirts/tops and pull on shorts or skirts or trakkies
  • ice packs for pain and swelling (frozen peas work well)
  • drink lots of fluids, preferably water and some fresh juice, you need to stay hydrated and to help get the general anaesthetic out of your system
  • keep on top of your pain meds, this is not the time to be brave - if it hurts take that tablet, you have had major surgery and the first few days can be quite painful 

I agree with everything you say @sabP  

I kept on top of pain meds even if I didn’t need it. Overall just follow what your body is telling you and also the post op routine provided by your PS. If something is hurting don’t do it really utilise your carer. 

My advice is to remember that your body has gone through surgery so don't expect a miracle and think you are going to be shopping, going to the gym, dancing at a wedding etc after the first week! It takes time to heal. Some people heal more quickly than others. So lower the expectations on getting back to normal life quickly. You won't be in this space forever. The body will heal and your boobs will look great.

What everyone else has said.  And to remember two breasts,  two surgeries and two recovery times your boobs will not heal the same at the same time , one may take longer to drop, soften up round out ect. Take lots of photos and in those times you feel like you have made no progress go back and look at your pictures,  you will be supprised at how much they change from week to week. ?

There are so many factors that go into healing and recovery, but if I could only pick one I would have to say patience (like everyone else has mentioned!). It's all about attitude and you have to keep a positive mindset. You are making a change to your body, having surgery is going to take a toll mentally as well as physically. It takes time to feel 'normal' again and you will experience ups and downs before you get there.

I remember feeling very frustrated at times with how slow I was healing, even though my surgeon told me I was making great progress. I went through post-op blues and beat myself up for how I was feeling instead of just accepting it as a temporary state of mind. Not saying everyone will go through this, but it is good to know what to expect.

So yes, patience and kindness with yourself and keep looking ahead xx