Clothes Post Surgery

Hey girls,

What do you wear on the day of having surgery and in the next few days?

Do your arm movements become restricted due to discomfort / pain, making it difficult to wear your normal clothes that's not buttoned etc?

Thanks in advance :)

For the day of surgery, I’m sure they will have hospital gowns/clothes for you to wear but best to call the hospital to check. I will prepare a few buttoned tops + pajamas but I’ve read where some people even find the button tops difficult since they have to raise their arms 90° to slot the arms in. What they preferred was a big loose tank top that they can wear from bottom up.

Oh I know they'll supply a hospital gown but I mean like when you leave the hospital, then what to wear in the next couple of days. I've never worn buttoned tops in my life lol. Makes sense to wear loose tank top or a swing dress. It'll be Spring when I have mine done, so hopefully it's nice weather in that first week :D

Hey 

26 minutes ago, JD* said:

Oh I know they'll supply a hospital gown but I mean like when you leave the hospital, then what to wear in the next couple of days. I've never worn buttoned tops in my life lol. Makes sense to wear loose tank top or a swing dress. It'll be Spring when I have mine done, so hopefully it's nice weather in that first week :D

Hey hun.. definitely button up shirts and skirts or shorts you can just slip on, nothing tight to pull on like leggings or jeans, you won't be able to and you'll put too much strain on your arms.. Dresses and tanks are too hard to get into. You are not meant to lift your arms above your head for the first two weeks. I bought a few button up tops from Cotton On - really easy to get on and off and they were kind of cute. The first few days and the first week are not for looking fashionable, you are recovering from surgery and need to have clothes that won't be difficult or painful to get in and out of. :) 

57 minutes ago, sabP said:

Hey 

Hey hun.. definitely button up shirts and skirts or shorts you can just slip on, nothing tight to pull on like leggings or jeans, you won't be able to and you'll put too much strain on your arms.. Dresses and tanks are too hard to get into. You are not meant to lift your arms above your head for the first two weeks. I bought a few button up tops from Cotton On - really easy to get on and off and they were kind of cute. The first few days and the first week are not for looking fashionable, you are recovering from surgery and need to have clothes that won't be difficult or painful to get in and out of.  

I live in my leggings daily so that's a shame but I do understand what you mean. :)

Some of the dresses I have, you can easily slip into them without having to put them over your head, so I may just opt for those particular dresses or shorts with tops that's easy to slip into also... so surely that's OK?

When i had BA i was advised to wear a long shirt or a dress where there is access to buttons along the front. This will be easy for when you to change from the surgery grown. Try to get one that is large enough especially if you are doing an underarm incision as your arm movements will be very restricted. Make sure you don't bring a t-shirt cause you would struggle lifting your arms and getting into it. I also got a training bra ready, one without any wires similar to a sports bra to support the BA. 

good luck x

I wore a pair of loose track pants, slip on shoes and a zip up hoodie to my surgery. I wore a tshirt underneath on the way there, then just had the zip up hoodie on the way home. I didn't have too much trouble dressing myself in this when I was leaving, but I was still quite numb from the local anaesthetic and loopy from the general so wasn't really feeling major pain.

For the next few days I basically wore either the same tracksuit pants or my loose pyjama pants and zip up hoodies. My husband had to help me a little bit in getting dressed for the first 2 days, but I was okay after that.

4 hours ago, JD* said:

I live in my leggings daily so that's a shame but I do understand what you mean.

Some of the dresses I have, you can easily slip into them without having to put them over your head, so I may just opt for those particular dresses or shorts with tops that's easy to slip into also... so surely that's OK?

ok, this is how you can practice ahead of time, make your arms like T-Rex and hold them like that and pretend that you cannot put them up above your head - if you can slip your tops on like that then they'll be fine, if not get a couple full button up tops or get your hubby/partner/helper to help you get into your top for the first few days.

I agree with the others i had a couple of button up shirts and trackies, and on surgery day i went to the hospital bra less in a button up shirt trckies and a zip up hoodie ( yes you'll feel cold after surgery) i took my po bra in in a small bag. On the day they will have you put your belongings in a locker and have you change into one of those sexy hospital gowns back to front,  some will have you put on those sexy compression socks some don't  (i didnt) then your surgeon will come and draw you up then you will be taken through to the OR where you will be put to skeep then wake up with boobies ?