belle_thailand

Breast Lift + Implants w/ Dr. Poomee @ Bumrungrad Hospital, Bangkok

So I am 4 days post op after a breast lift + 200cc smooth silicone implants over the muscle with Dr. Amorn Poomee at Bumrungrad Hospital, Bangkok - and I thought I'd help out the members of this forum and share my own experience, as I received so much help going into this surgery myself, and want to return the favour :) (Also please note: I couldn't fit my whole story in the one post, so read the first comment on this post as the 2nd half of my story)

First off, I'll say I came to the decision of going with Dr. Poomee upon recommendations from friends who've had breast implants done by him and their boobs look fantastic, however I wasn't sure if a breast lift + implants would be as good or not, so I did LOADS of obsessive research online about who is the best in Thailand, as I knew I would be coming here for an extended period of time, and it seemed like the best place to get the procedure done at a reputable, clean hospital for a fraction of the price of back home (I'm from Australia). After hours and hours of research, I had narrowed down my top 3 surgeons as Dr. Poomee and Dr. Teerasit at Bumrungrad Hospital, Bangkok, and another surgeon who's name I can't recall at Yanhee Hospital, Bangkok. I'd heard mixed reviews (but mostly good) about Yanhee, and although Bumrungrad was my first choice I thought it would be wise to see a couple of different surgeons and hospitals to see who "felt" best to me. I made appointments at Bumrungrad and Yanhee, and sat back and waited for my appointment date.

My first appointment was with my first choice surgeon, Dr. Poomee - he was my first choice as I've seen first hand the quality of his breast work (my friends' boob job is amazing, looks so natural) and I couldn't find a bad word about him online. Sure, he charges abit more than other surgeons at Bumrungrad, but this isn't like buying a pair of shoes - I understand the quality of the work varies greatly from surgeon to surgeon and I didn't want to go with a slightly cheaper option, and have them not be 100% perfect and wish I'd paid a little extra to get the best in the business (Dr. Poomee). I had an idea about what I thought I needed, but I took the advice of girls on this forum and went into my consultation with an open mind, fully prepared to take on board Dr. Poomee's advice as to what would suit me best. I'd been emailing him prior to our consult, and he was always very quick with the replies, very straight to the point but not rude or harsh in any way.

I arrived at my appointment at the hospital (which is amazing, looks more like a hotel) and was attended to immediately by staff, weighed and had my blood pressure taken, and then I met with Dr. Poomee's wife, who assists with his breast patients. She asked me what bra size I hope to be at the end, and what I am here for - I said I want a lift primarily, but maybe implants as well - I just want my nice perky 19-year old self 10D breasts back (I'm 27 now, and although I've had no kids, weight loss/gains and changes in birth control has sucked the life from my front melons). She pinched my skin under the breast and showed what my breasts would look like if I only got a breast lift, and explained they would not sag as much as they do now but they won't have the upper pole support I am hoping for if I don't get implants as well. The way she demonstrated it and showed me what a lift would look like, made it so simple - I could tell my research online was right - I'd probably need a lift + implants to get nice perky boobs. Not that I (or my boyfriend for that matter) were complaining! It only costs an extra $1400 to get implants slipped in at the same time as the breast lift surgery, and if I'm gonna do it I want the best boobs possible!

She asked me what implant size I want and I said I didn't know, but I just want to be a full 10D bra size again. She gave me a 10D bra to try on and suggested 200cc implants - they filled the bra perfectly and seemed like a great fit. My boyfriend (who was allowed to come in and help) agreed, but just to be sure I tried 175cc, 225cc, and 150cc... None seemed to fill the bra as well as the 200cc. Once I'd decided on the implants I liked (if I did decide to go ahead with implants) I was sent in to see the doctor himself.

Dr. Poomee is a top guy - friendly, funny and very helpful. He answered all my questions before I even asked them, but as per the advice of members on this forum I had written down some questions I specifically wanted answered incase he didn't address them - he was more than happy to answer all my silly questions. He showed me many photos of his work, and showed me what breast lift alone would look like, then the two procedures combined... He also explained why he thinks I would be best suited to a lift + implants, and my boyfriend and I agreed with his opinion. We then moved on to discussing size, texture, over/under the muscle, and saline vs silicone implants... He explained everything so well, and I trusted his opinion - after all he is one of the best in the business. Do yourself a favour and don't go into your consult with all these set ideas as to what specifics you want, because your friends' boob job is so good and you want yours like hers.. Every body and every breast is different, and if you take the surgeons advice you will be glad you did.

Anyway so by the end of my consult with Dr. Poomee, I was sold. I called the other appointments and cancelled them on the spot, and scheduled my surgery with Dr. Poomee for 2 months later the very next day (I wanted to book on the spot, but he advised I take a couple of days to think it over and be sure). In the meantime I did some research and posted photos of my boobs on other websites to get American surgeons opinions on what is needed to get my 19-year old boobies back... Their advice mirrored that of Dr. Poomee's, so I felt confident in his advice.

When the day for my ore-surgery appointment finally arrived (2 days before my surgery) I arrived and was once again seen immediately by the very efficient and friendly staff, tried the implants on again with the doctor's wife to be sure they are still what I wanted (still the perfect fit) and sat down with Dr. Poomee again to go through everything that would be happening on my surgery date. He answered any fresh questions I had, and I was sent off to pay for the surgery, have blood tests done and everything was finalized. I wasn't nervous at all - they were so professional and put my mind completely at ease. The night before my surgery I couldn't sleep a wink, I was so excited that my surgery date was finally here. Luckily I was due at the hospital at 6am, for surgery at 7am, so I didn't have to wait long.

I arrived at the check-in counter at Bumrungrad's emergency department at 5:50am, told them who I was and I was quickly prepped for surgery - no delays or long waits like an Australian hospital! I removed my jewellery and clothes which were all locked away (and safely returned to my hospital recovery suite after my surgery) and I changed into a gown. Dr. Poomee came to visit me at 6:25am, drew the markings for the incisions on my breasts, took some photos and had a quick chat. Then his wife came to visit and calm any nerves I may have (I had none), and then the anesthesiologist came to ask about any allergies or previous issues with anesthesiology, and by 6:50pm I was getting wheeled to the operating room. I was amazed at how quick and efficient the entire process was - this is so different to our hospitals back home. Once inside the operating room they moved me onto the operating bed, and Poomee's wife was right by my side holding my hand, chatting and rubbing my body, tucking my toes under the blanket so I didn't get cold... She was like my mum! She held my hand right until I fell into a deep drug-induced sleep. Surgery had begun.

When I woke up some time later, I had a nurse waiting for me who asked how I was feeling, and then wheeled me to my suite where my boyfriend and my belongings were already waiting for me and man, that recovery suite is NICE! I've stayed in 5-star hotels which aren't as nice as this suite! I was pretty drugged up but had no pain whatsoever - I had a drip in my arm and bandages and a Velcro-strapped bra over my chest. A short time later, Dr. Poomee came in to visit me and asked how I was feeling, said the surgery went well and he didn't even need to do the extra "anchor" incision along the crease of my breast's mammary-fold (which is very common with breast lift surgery). I was surprised, as I thought that incision was standard for this procedure (he did tell me in our consults that he may not need to do it, but I just expected that I would have to have it). So I was very happy - the only incisions were around my nipples and one incision down to the bottom of my breast - typically called the "lollipop incision". I was so doped up I cheered him and said "you the man Poomee!! Only lollipop, yay!!" He laughed and promised he'd return the following day to check on me again.

The rest of the day I was pretty out of it, but in no pain at all - I kept waiting for it to hit me but nothing did. I felt abit stiff, and was under strict instruction not to lift my arms or move too much - which is fine, because I was asleep most of the time anyway. Nursing staff were in a constant flow checking on me, bringing me pain medication and antibiotics and asking how I was feeling, if I needed anything, and assisting me to go to the toilet (even wiping for me!). They were amazing, I didn't expect such great service or such a high level of English understanding and speaking from them. The food was tasty and filling as well, absolutely no complaints there. Staff gave me a sleeping tablet that night, and I drifted easily into a deep sleep.

(read first comment to continue story)

The next day I was still in no pain at all - I couldn't believe it. The only discomfort came when I used my arms and strained my chest muscles, which gave momentary jolts of pain but nothing bad at all - honestly, I was expecting so much worse. Day 2 I was walking around the room, going to the bathroom by myself, and laughing having a great time. Dr Poomee visited me again to see how I was feeling, removed some of the gauze dressing and replaced it, and told me to make myself comfortable and that I was allowed to stay in the hotel suite (sorry, hospital suite) until 4pm if I wanted to. My boyfriend was happy - the free wifi and luxury was awesome.

Later in the day when we finally left, I was given my antibiotics and a colour print out of exactly which tablets to take and when, as well as a written document about when to return for my next appointment - so efficient! I had thought before my surgery that it would be a real struggle to walk to my hotel room (only 5 minute walk from Bumrungrad, but like I said I expected to still be in agony the day after surgery) but I walked slowly and experienced no pain at all. I was due back at the hospital to have the dressings and chest strap removed on day 3, so for the next few days I just laid in bed watching tv shows on my iPad and taking it easy. I still had no pain, amazingly... I was able to move around freely when needed but I tried to limit my movement as not to hinder my recovery in any way. I was able to sleep easily at night without any discomfort, although not being able to roll onto my side or onto my back meant by 8am I would get up just to give my back a break. The only time I used the painkillers was when I had a headache, that's it.

Day 3 I returned for my appointment, and as always I was seen immediately and was into Dr. Poomee's office getting my first peek at the girls in no time. Now, I've read stories of breast lift surgeries online and seen the horrorific photos so I was expecting some super bruised, stitched up and downright scary looking box-shaped boobs, and had no illusions that I may question my decision to do this when I got my first peek at the girls... But I loved them immediately. The nurse laid me down and helped to take of the bra, and the chest strap (which everyone talks about as being awful, honestly I just found it abit uncomfortable by day 3 but it wasn't much worse than that) and it was AWESOME to lay on my back and see my boobs stay in the same spot. Anyone with saggy boobs dreams of this day, and the girls were a great size, shape, everything... I was so elated. Dr. Poomee took over and carefully took off the sticky taped bandages and gauze over my nipples, and they looked amazing. Sure, they were very bruised and stitched up but I had been expecting so much worse so I was so happy. Normal sized nipples instead of my huge stretched out monsters too, an added perk of the breast lift surgery. Dr. Poomee let me walk to the mirror and check them out, and it was love. Finally, boobs that don't sag with normal shaped nipples. The day I've been waiting for.

[ATTACH]4344[/ATTACH]

(Here's a photo taken in the doctors surgery immediately after the guaze was removed)

He redressed me with a crop top bra which secures at the front, and said this is all I need to wear now - as well as changing the gauze covering my stitches. I was instructed to wear the bra at all times, except when showering, which I was now allowed to do. And that was it, in no time I was on my way home and was allowed to look at my new boobs all I want!

My stitches aren't due off for another 3 days, but I'll try to repost some more photos of how they look after that - everyday the bruises go down and the boobs take a better shape and look better and better. I'm still in no pain and have a lot more mobility with my arms, but do still try to follow his orders and limit my movement - I don't leave my hotel room. Giving up a week of my life to have great boobs for the rest of my life (or at least the next decade) is a small price to pay!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I don't frequent this site much anymore, but I will post more photos over the coming week and try and make this overview of my experience as detailed as possible before signing off.

I can't recommend Dr. Poomee at Bumrungrad hospital enough - the total cost of breast lift + implants was 180, 000 baht (about Australian $5700) which is 140, 000 for the breast lift alone, and only an extra 40,000 for the implants while they are doing the lift procedure. This fee is all-inclusive, including hospital stay, doctors fees, operating fees, drugs etc - the only extra charge is 550 baht for the blood tests (about $16 dollars). However their competitor Yanhee hospital (with a surgeon who I hadn't even heard of online, or could not find any reviews about his work) was charging 95,000 baht for breast lift and then another 95,000 baht for the implants - I asked why they would charge me for 2 separate procedures when they were being done as one but they said this is just how the charge is... So with Yanhee the same procedure would have been more. It was a no brainer to go with Dr. Poomee for me - his work is so highly regarded and the hospital, in my opinion, has exceptional service and facilities.

This is just my experience, nothing I am stating here is fact... Just wanted to share my experience to anyone considering going through with the same procedure. The pain is nowhere near as bad as you think, it was the best decision of my life!

Edited by belle_thailand
photo added

Thats awesome Belle, glad it went well for you. It is pretty daunting when you've had a lift and they first take the dressings off....you do see some pretty scary photos on the internet, yet when you see your own they don;t look at all how you imagined, just heaps better and neater! Make sure you rest up now :)

Hi belle.. I want to do the procedures the same like you are. Just wondering how are you know? What i your boobies looks like now? I am going also with Dr Poomee. A little nervous since th procedures will be this november. Hope you can share some of your information.

Thank you

Hey girls

well 3 weeks post op and still feeling fantastic. i really think having a month off from alcohol helped with my healing, because it wasnt nearly as bad as others have reported. on day 2 or 3 i had ONE Tylenol (pain relief tablet from the hospital staff) because i had a headache, and thats it. i've had very little pain, and they are looking much better than i ever could have hoped for. they are sitting very well too, nice and natural.. i'll include another photo so you can see how they look 3 weeks post op.

it was the best decision ever, don't be nervous - it's not as bad as you expect and the results with Dr. Poomee have been fantastic.

Any extra questions, let me know, cheers.

(This page is not letting me load a photo... if you would like one please pm me.)

Wow Belle- thank you so much for posting this- i've been weighing up whether to see poomee or not he's my first choice for Thailand (i've been thinking of looking in Australia again!) but your story has made my mind up!! i heard lots about implants but not both (i'm the same as you- 28 and sagging due to weight loss!)

Can i ask- i'm stuck on the fact i wanted under as they apparently look more natural- why did you decide overs?

Also are you happy with them now?

Belle_thailand :) I'm so excited for you!! I'm off to Thailand in Feb and Dr. Teerasit is no longer available to do BA and lift, so I'd really love to see a picture of how you're looking. I'd appreciate it so much. xx

Hey belle, I'm needing the same procedures but have been quoted $8500 in patong. I've just been told about dr poomee so am researching his work. I'm so happy up to the results you wanted, I'll add you and if ou could pm me your befor and afters that would be amazing I'll let ou know how everything goes? X

Wow Belle! Great info! I'm lookin to have the same procedure as I sound similar to you, I've had two kids and have large stretches nipples and sagging as due to breast feeding and weight gain and now that I've lost the weight all I can think about is getting them fixed! Dr. Poomee sounds fantastic, haven't heard a bad word about his work and the more I read about him and his work and the happy clients, the more myimd is made up! Reading your story has really really helped! So glad to hear your experience was such a positive one! How are your breasts now? I am also in Australia and was unsure of the process of surgery overseas and was worried because of the 'horror stories' of overseas cosmetic surgery so reading all the great reviews about the hospital and the care and the surgeon has eased my mind heaps. Thanks.

Hi all!

Belle I'm so glad to hear your story, I'm going to see Dr Poome in October and I'm extremely excited!!!!

Congrats on the surgery and oh my I just can't explain how excited I am.

My best friend recently went to thailand and had a BA and lift with Dr Teerasit, she said he was amazing definitely recommended him but after reading on here and seeing so many people say great things (seen a couple bad reviews about Dr T) about Dr P, I can't not go with him.

Do you have any photos now? Thanks hun! Xxx

Hey all.. my name is Aimee and im wanting to get Ba and I think I need a lift but am unsure im a 10d I have had a baby 5yrs ago and am so deflated. . Id love to see ans share some photos if possible? Im new to this forum please help