Sign in to follow this  
Molly87

No running, but how about power walking?

Hi girls, I am a keen runner (6-10km daily), and have read that it takes about 6 weeks or so until you can start running after BA. I was just wondering then, how long after can you start power walking (fast), or even a good walk.

Yep I went to the gym for the first time on day 9 I think it was and I walked on the treadmill on 5.5 and on an incline of about 8, it was so strange I am a runner also, I don't walk on the treadmill, I figure if I'm going to walk I do it outside - I generally only use it for intervals etc!

I tried to speed it up to 5.8 or 6, but found that was a little too fast for me just yet (pre op I walked at 6 for a warm up, to give you an idea) - I think because when you power walk you use your arms that little bit more...

I did that for about a half hour, then jumped on the eliptical. I probably could have walked for longer, but I didn't want to push anything on my first time back...

Hey Minimel, I know this is a strange question, but did it hurt holding on to the eliptical? I have my surgery in a month, and really want to try to maintain my fitness (and avoid weight gain!!!) :)

I was power walking by the end of week one. My doc gave me the all clear for running at the end of week three, as long as I wore two supportive bras together (a good sports bra and a firm crop over the top).

xx

I wouldn't stress too much about it Molly87. You won't lose too much fitness in a month :) I just made sure not to eat quite as much as I usually do when I'm running 4-5 times a week xx

One week post op today and just did 20 minute walk on the treadmill on incline. Also did a few squats and lunges. Just read somewhere else that it could be too soon. Ooops I hope I havn't done any damage. I made sure there was no bouncing happening.

I was walking my dog from day 3, and went to gym on day 5 for cycling and lower body exercises. In my 1 week checkup, I was told to wait a month before pump and aerobics classes, which would also include jogging and running. I went for a big walk with lots of hills with my 15 month old niece in a pram yesterday. That was fine.. was just careful with steering. I'm going to the gym today and am going to add in some bicep curls and leaning over tricep extensions and do some gentle chest stretches. Feeling pretty good all in all :)

Hey Minimel, I know this is a strange question, but did it hurt holding on to the eliptical? I have my surgery in a month, and really want to try to maintain my fitness (and avoid weight gain!!!) :)

Hey Angela not a silly question at all :) I only held onto the bit at the front, I didn't use my arms on the moving handles, just he;d onto the bit that doesn't move. And then I really only rested my hands there, which actually made me use my legs a little more to push it which I guess is probably a good thing!!

Also just for more info went to the gym again today, did a 45min walk at 5.5 speed and 10% incline, kept my heart rate around 140-150ish which is not too bad, I usually get it up to 160-180 during a tough workout so I was pretty happy with that, then I set up a high stepper (6 steps under each side) and did 20 step up lunges each side, 20 squats on an upside down bosu ball and 20 side lunges, did that 3 times through. Just to give you girls an idea of what you can do :) Thats almost 2 weeks PO for me now, I'm looking forward to getting back into spin in another week.

Pixievibes - be very careful with any of your upper arm stuff hun, my PS might be extra cautious but due to having anatomicals he's told me NO upper body stuff for 7-10 weeks and NO isolation of chest muscles/pecs for 3 months.

Even today we went out for lunch at sushi train and sat at a bench and I tried to lean up on my arms to pull my chair in with my feet (if you know what I mean?) just force of habit, I always do it - man it hurt AND I had next to no strength - amazing how much you lose so quickly!!