Sign in to follow this  
Me_again

Weird question: Can all TTers keep their own belly button?

Ok, I've got a pretty strange question.

When a TT or lower body lift is done they always cut out your original belly button and sew it back in at a new spot, right?

Do they ever create a new fake belly button? Mine isn't too stretched out I think.

I know it's pretty stupid but it's really important to keep my original one for emotional reasons. My mum passed away a few months ago and I really want to keep the part of my body that reminds me of being connected to her.

Oh me_again I just wanna give you a great big hug! So sorry about your mum.

The way the surgeon explained the belly button thing to me was:

Your belly button stays where is is, they cut the skin around/ attached to it, the skin gets pulled down, then a new hole made in the skin stretched over it & it's all then sewed & attached around your existing BB.

Gee I hope that makes sense.

If you have the stomach for it, look up tummy tuck surgery on YouTube . (Warning not for the squeamish) or even try finding an animated version.

Your belly button is actually a bit of tissue that connects from the part you see to your abdomen wall, that bit of tissue will always stay there, they cut around the outside of the skin, then pull the skin down and re stitch that tissue (its like a skin core) to the place higher on your stomach skin... so essentially it is still your belly button, just the outer skin from a higher part of your tummy (if that makes sense?!) Look at a Youtube video of a tummy tuck (if you aren't squeamish!) You will see what they do.

They have to do it if you have a big problem (like you do and I had!) because if they pull the skin down without cutting around your button your button would actually be down at your pubic line... you don't want a belly button in your pubic hair! They have to free it and pull it through the skin higher so it is in the right place!

Thanks Sydneymum! Yes it hasn't been the greatest year. Lost my little sister to breast cancer 12 months ago and my mum to stomach cancer 7 months ago. Can really use some good luck from now on :)

Thanks for explaining it!!!

Yeah, I didn't expect to be without a mother at my age (my mum was only 60 when she died!) My husbands mother died of cancer 12 years ago when she was only 42, so I feel lucky to have had my mother longer than he did at least. Our kids are only 2 and 4 and they have no grandparents already it's pretty sad. Especially when my husband and I both still have our grandparents (in their 90s) but our kids are only young and don't have any already and will never remember having grandparents :(

Cancer sucks :(

I know what you mean. My grandparents all died quite early and I was always jealous of my friends spending time with their grandparents. My mum was 60 too. Far too young. And my sister had only just turned 30.

Thanks for your answer about the belly button too. I don't think that post came up until I refreshed the page.