Sign in to follow this  
Me_again

Measuring your bra/cup size?

I'm a bit confused about what my actual cup size is now and I thought maybe some of you know the most accurate way to figure this out.

I haven't worn a proper bra in about a year because I used sports bras/crop tops as breastfeeding bras cause I was like an E cup or bigger and couldn't find bras in my size easily.

Anyway 13 months later I've lost a lot of weight and a lot of cm's off my boobs but I'd say they are still a good size.

Some of the websites now tell me I'm an 18B or C which just doesn't seem right.

I've tried on some of my old bras and band width 16-18 fits best (I have a really wide back) and my boobs seem to fill cup size D or DD pretty well.

So are all these sites wrong. Are the figures out because of my back adding extra width?

I'd just like to know what cup size I'm likely to be after my lift and I had to tell my surgeon what cup size I was.

most bra shops with websites will have guides telling you what your size is - however i find a lot of them to be way off for me. For example the bras and things website has me at a 12A-B which is complete bulls*it as i have been professionally measured at about an 8FF/G!!

I have found this calculator to be the most accurate for me personally - http://sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm - it gives sizes in US & UK, which is good for me since most of the boutiques sell UK styles and brands but they are fairly simple to convert to aussie sizes. I believe the UK cup system is the same, or very close to ours, and i think the band sizes are as follows :-

30- 8

32- 10

34 - 12

36 - 14

38 - 16

40 - 18

Measure really snugly around your ribcage right under your bust, and lean over while taking the overbust measurement if you can - not too tightly. generally the number of inches between your two measurements (ribcage rounded to even number) is your cup size

1 = A, 2 = B, 3= C, 4 = D, 5= DD, 6 = E .....

Also remember that not all cups are made the same. sister sizes mean that 18C = same cups size as 16D = 14DD = 12E and so on...

the online calculators are only an indication though and i would suggest getting a general idea from them and then going and getting fitted somewhere. the bands on bras should be quite snug - 2 fingers should be able to slide under them comfortable, but you should not be able to pull it more than a few cms from your body (this can be uncomfortable at first for some people! but you need the support) the underwires shouldnt be sitting on your breast tissue anywhere - including the sides and the centre gore, the centre gore should lie flat on your sternum and you shouldnt have any spilling over the top of the cups.

Thanks heaps. I did it your way and tried a few more online calculators and they all gave me more accurate sounding results like 18 D or DD. I think maybe the berlei sizing guide is off a bit.

Thanks for the link lozz! I think everyone ought to use this calculator to determine their size. Not many women realise that the band is supposed to be snug around their underbust, and a disproportionately high number wear band sizes too big and cup sizes too small for them. Also you should generally be wearing new bras on the loosest clasp then go to to progressively tighter clasps as the bra ages and loses some of its stretch.

exactly right summerblush - i always wore 10 bands up until recently when i bought a bra in an 8c (preop) and found that it fit soooooooo much better!! after measuring myself properly leading up to, and after my BA i have found that 8 bands seem to be my ideal size - i actually measure a 6, but also fit into very snug 10s ... wish bra manufacturers would be consistent with their sizing as it makes it all so much harder!

I love that calculator as it gives the most accurate measurement i have found yet!! it lines up with what all the professionals have measured me at.

I have only just recently learned that having a tight band is one of the most important things about bra fitting as it what needs to give you about 80% of the support

I have also found this site - http://www.bratabase.com/ very helpful in determining bra sizing for a lot of the UK brands which is what i will be mostly buying when im allowed underwire. UK brands seem to have a much wider range of sizes so you can get the perfect fit! and this is what most boutiques carry as stock. U put your measurements in and it makes recommendations for sizes in specific bra brands and styles - will be helpful with my online shopping addiction hahaha

Holy crap lozz! My underbust is 30 ..and my boobs are now 35 so on the chart I slot into a 8DD ...holy ****..DD's :D

Does that really mean I should be a size 8 band? That seems so small to me! And I have always worn 12 bands.. I am off to the shops this weekend to do some tests lol

i always thought i was a 10 - just because u rarely ever see 8 bands! but once i tried one i knew it was a better fit... i actually have a 28inch ribcage which makes me a 6 but ive never tried any this small and i would have thought they would be too tight.. i dunno!! sometimes with bras that have a really tight band i have to go up to a 10. its all so confusing!!

Summerblush is completely right saying that a huge number of women are wearing band sizes too big. they are supposed to be snug on the loosest clasp (so as it stretches you can tighten it and get more use out of the bra) - snug means fit 2 fingers under it comfortably, not being able to pull the back inches away from you!! it sounds like you will definitely fit into at least 10 bands, and probably many 8s as well but you will have to try them out. after wearing too loose bands for so long it is likely tighter bands will feel strange and too tight straight away but it will give you much better support - which you will need with your new assets.

In the end the calculator is just a guide - being professionally measured is important!!

I always wear mine on the tightest just out of habit! But when my sister got measured she got told to keep it on the middle clasp so that its balanced, which sort of makes sense! In that case I think I would be an 8 too rather than a 10

I always wear mine on the tightest just out of habit! But when my sister got measured she got told to keep it on the middle clasp so that its balanced, which sort of makes sense! In that case I think I would be an 8 too rather than a 10

I always did too!! Who told your sister that? all the bra fitting info i have read, all the fittings i have been to and all the blogs i have read all say the loosest clasp!

Yeah that is amazing..where do you girls go to get measured? Last time I was at a bras and things she just looked at me and started pulling sizes of the shelf ..I think it was a 12A ...hmm would go check if I didn't give all my bras away!

i have been measured at a couple of boutiques specializing in large cup sizes. they just eyeballed me and started trying me in sizes. i dont think many aussie places still use tape measures - a least not fitters with any decent experience!

It definitely depends on the brand, as i have some 8 bands which are too loose on the tightest hook - and i have some 10 bands because the 8 was too small!

I didnt like being fitted at bras and things because i just felt like they were fitting me into whatever size they had - for example i have one at the moment (i will exchange it when im cleared for underwire) that has the center gore sitting wayyyy up - not even close to sitting on my sternum and this is one of the major indicators that a bra doesnt fit, and also means you do not have the support you need. with smaller boobs this might not be a problem as you dont need as much support but for me its a big deal. i went back into bras and things and the women said that the center gore sit up on all of her bras and as long as the rest of the bra fit its ok .... well its wearable yeah but a perfect fit? no!

most bra shops with websites will have guides telling you what your size is - however i find a lot of them to be way off for me. For example the bras and things website has me at a 12A-B which is complete bulls*it as i have been professionally measured at about an 8FF/G!!

I have found this calculator to be the most accurate for me personally - http://sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm - it gives sizes in US & UK, which is good for me since most of the boutiques sell UK styles and brands but they are fairly simple to convert to aussie sizes. I believe the UK cup system is the same, or very close to ours, and i think the band sizes are as follows :-

30- 8

32- 10

34 - 12

36 - 14

38 - 16

40 - 18

Measure really snugly around your ribcage right under your bust, and lean over while taking the overbust measurement if you can - not too tightly. generally the number of inches between your two measurements (ribcage rounded to even number) is your cup size

1 = A, 2 = B, 3= C, 4 = D, 5= DD, 6 = E .....

Also remember that not all cups are made the same. sister sizes mean that 18C = same cups size as 16D = 14DD = 12E and so on...

the online calculators are only an indication though and i would suggest getting a general idea from them and then going and getting fitted somewhere. the bands on bras should be quite snug - 2 fingers should be able to slide under them comfortable, but you should not be able to pull it more than a few cms from your body (this can be uncomfortable at first for some people! but you need the support) the underwires shouldnt be sitting on your breast tissue anywhere - including the sides and the centre gore, the centre gore should lie flat on your sternum and you shouldnt have any spilling over the top of the cups.

Thanks for the website lozz!! So do we usually go by UK sizes here in Aus or does it not matter because they all relate. I actually have no idea I usually just get a 10B (Preop) I had recently checked the bras and things website also and I am a 12D, there is no way I would be comfortable in a size 12 band, it would be too loose!!! So the website you gave says I read a UK 30F! wooowwwweeee! Wonder if I am still swollen!! Never actually tried a size 8 band so that will be interesting! I am so reluctant to get measured at Bras and Things, does anyone know if you can get measured at another chain like La Senza??

Thanks for the website lozz!! So do we usually go by UK sizes here in Aus or does it not matter because they all relate. I actually have no idea I usually just get a 10B (Preop) I had recently checked the bras and things website also and I am a 12D, there is no way I would be comfortable in a size 12 band, it would be too loose!!! So the website you gave says I read a UK 30F! wooowwwweeee! Wonder if I am still swollen!! Never actually tried a size 8 band so that will be interesting! I am so reluctant to get measured at Bras and Things, does anyone know if you can get measured at another chain like La Senza??

Yeah bras and things has me in a 12 as well :/

I think that the AU sizes and the UK sizes are very similar. US sizes do weird things with the letters!! haha i can only talk from personal experience here but in the boutiques i have been too they always have UK brands and the tags always had the same letters on them 30G=8G. and in bras and things these sizes were also the best fit. they certainly dont make bra fitting easy do they?

Woohoo 30F! no doubt you still have some fluffing to do as well! :)

Last week I got refitted professionally and it's really important to go to a proper boutique shop where the girls know what they are doing!! Prior to this I was wearing BnT's bras either 10DD (complete comfort bra) or 10E (Killer Kurves), I never really felt 100% happy with these bras, they were ok but didn't do much for me so off I went to 2 different bra shops... first one was Hidden Lace in Subiaco Perth... Ohhh they were rubbish!!! I thought for a boutique shop they'd be on to it but no! I got fitted my some nanna and she said I was a size 10 borderline size 12 so they she went off around the shop and handed me all the size 10 E's she could find even a 10F was amongst the pile... I tried them on but they were all horrible, hardly any support and they did nothing for my shape.

She wasn't really interested in getting the right fit for me so I took the pile out of the change room, dumped it on the counter and walked out... so off I went to Silk Elegance in Leederville, asked for a prof fitting and immediately the girl measured me, asked what size I was currently wearing, pointed out the faults in my current bra, asked what style and shape I was after and then proceeded to bring back suitable bras... most of them were size 8 F or FF!!! One was a size 10E because it was a Canadian brand because their band sizes run small. I was amazed how well the size 8 fitted and never thought I would be that size because previously I always wore size 12 then went down to a size 10 when I got prof fitted for maternity bras.

The girl even thought I might be a size 6 because my rib cage measures 29 inches so I could round up to 30 for a size 8 or down to 28 for a size 6 depending on the bra. All the bras I tried on were great, I'd try on 8F to start and if the cups even had a slight overspill she'd go back and get the 8FF which fitted better. I was so happy to be fitted properly that I spend a lot of money that day... I don't think I could've got a better fitting anywhere else in Perth. She said to wear on the loosest hook to start and as the bra ages you can tighten it up by moving up along the hooks. I bought 3 Freya bras (which I think are a UK brand) and 1 Le Mystere bra which is a Canadian brand and run a bit smaller (the bra gives great shape though).

I will never go back to BnT's for bras, I just don't think the bras are made very well for larger busted girls IMO!!

Last week I got refitted professionally and it's really important to go to a proper boutique shop where the girls know what they are doing!! Prior to this I was wearing BnT's bras either 10DD (complete comfort bra) or 10E (Killer Kurves), I never really felt 100% happy with these bras, they were ok but didn't do much for me so off I went to 2 different bra shops... first one was Hidden Lace in Subiaco Perth... Ohhh they were rubbish!!! I thought for a boutique shop they'd be on to it but no! I got fitted my some nanna and she said I was a size 10 borderline size 12 so they she went off around the shop and handed me all the size 10 E's she could find even a 10F was amongst the pile... I tried them on but they were all horrible, hardly any support and they did nothing for my shape.

She wasn't really interested in getting the right fit for me so I took the pile out of the change room, dumped it on the counter and walked out... so off I went to Silk Elegance in Leederville, asked for a prof fitting and immediately the girl measured me, asked what size I was currently wearing, pointed out the faults in my current bra, asked what style and shape I was after and then proceeded to bring back suitable bras... most of them were size 8 F or FF!!! One was a size 10E because it was a Canadian brand because their band sizes run small. I was amazed how well the size 8 fitted and never thought I would be that size because previously I always wore size 12 then went down to a size 10 when I got prof fitted for maternity bras.

The girl even thought I might be a size 6 because my rib cage measures 29 inches so I could round up to 30 for a size 8 or down to 28 for a size 6 depending on the bra. All the bras I tried on were great, I'd try on 8F to start and if the cups even had a slight overspill she'd go back and get the 8FF which fitted better. I was so happy to be fitted properly that I spend a lot of money that day... I don't think I could've got a better fitting anywhere else in Perth. She said to wear on the loosest hook to start and as the bra ages you can tighten it up by moving up along the hooks. I bought 3 Freya bras (which I think are a UK brand) and 1 Le Mystere bra which is a Canadian brand and run a bit smaller (the bra gives great shape though).

I will never go back to BnT's for bras, I just don't think the bras are made very well for larger busted girls IMO!!

I completely relate to this story!! some stores are just rubbish and its so exciting when they actually measure you properly and know what they are talking about!!! i measure 28inches around my ribs so really should be in 6s but so far havent tried any on as i am waiting until i am actually cleared for underwire!! F/FF are so exciting!!! probably helps your boobie greed as well lol but its good to hear you have now been properly fitted and hopefully other girls can see how easy it is to be wearing the wrong size!!

Im sure a properly fitting bra looks so much better on as well :)