Sign in to follow this  
TammyC

What does Medical Insurance really cover you for?

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering places like Global Protective Services and Seven Corners - what do they cover you for exactly?

Say if I come back and my implant bottoms out or I get CC is that covered or is that considered a natural complciation?

Is it only for thing like hematoma's or infections that are covered?

So confused trying to work out if it is worth it or not, I don't want to pay all this money to find out I am not actually covered for that much..

Cheers. :)

That's what I figured.. The most common complications are "double bubble", bottoming out and CC so if your not covered for any of those why pay 300-400.. It think I am just going to go with regular travel insurance..

The intent of insurance cover is to provide a recourse for a medical accidental injury or complication as a result of surgery. However, capsular contracture appears to be a failed outcome of the procedure since this is a known result that can occur as a result of having implants. Each case is different but, undesired and failed outcomes are not a covered exposure. I think each case would be different but my initial opinion is that this is more of a failed outcome than a complication as the result of an accidental occurrence, such as an infection, or sewing up a sponge in the patient, etc. The purpose I guess is to make people more comfortable with overseas surgery, but not to pick up the normal risks associated with cosmetic surgery.

I work for Australian insurance company so this is just my own insight (2 cents) on insurance companies and what I imagine GPS would cover.

I hope this helps.

Why can't an insurance company step up and provide decent cover for people travelling overseas for surgery? Clearly there is a huge demand for it but at the moment most of the cover I found is flawed and doesn't really cover you when you really need it. Medical tourism is on the rapid rise and you would think they could work out this is a massive opportunity for one that has the guts to be a leader rather than a follower in this industry.

If an insurance company takes the chance and comes up with something decent for Australians (I am talking local insurance companies) then I recon I'll back them with all my health insurance for having being forward thinking enough to develop a product that can do some good and make them money!

It would be difficult for a company to cover those outcomes though because CC is so common.. They would probably lose money but my guess is that majority of the people who take out these insurnances think they are covered for those kinds of complications or undesired results when they may not be. What is the point of getting covered for 6 months after you return if it only covers you for things like infections, surely you will know before months if you have an infection etc?

If there is anyone who has used these companies or had experience with claims etc I would like to hear your story. :)