Sign in to follow this  
rubii

swelling and strange indents

ok, im now 5 days out and I am a little concerned.

I had a full TT with lipo, moved belly button, stitched muscles inside etc etc. I have just taken off the compression bandage standing up for the first time. Im definitely not flat stomach, im looking more like 5 months pregnant. I assume this is swelling - god I hope its swelling. So can someone reassure me here or godforbid warn me this is not right. To me I look the same if not worse than when I went in.

Second worry I have is right up the top - just below my breast bone in the middle - starts like an indented V which widens as it goes down my stomach. Its not huge indent more like a shadow though definitely visible. The only way I can accurately describe it is if i was shining a torch down my cleavage the shape of the light is the shape of my indent - right down to the incision. Can anyone shed some light on this? To me with this and the no change in belly size I wish I had not done it.

I am actually getting more and more distressed about this as Im writing because I keep checking in the mirror if it is for real and I hate my body more than I did 5 days ago. I never thought that could be possible.

Ive recently posted new updated photo's. so if you want a more clearer picture of what Im talking about go and have a look.

I see my surgeon in 48hours so biting my nails till then. Ive had a couple of other little hiccups though they are not as worrying to me as the above ones.

The best thing would be to just wait it out. I am sure you're fine and what you have is nothing too strange. I too hated seeing my stomach 5 days out - definitely isn't a pleasant sight. Don't be worried. You'll be fine. Judge the job done after at least 4-6 weeks and NOT 5 days. 5 days is way too soon.

I still have swelling and I am almost 6 weeks post op. So please don't worry.

Keep us updated.

Hi rubbi, sorry to hear you are not feeling good at the moment :( I do think it's too early to judge what it will look like. I'd say there is a lot of swelling there and it will take several weeks before you can tell. Everyone reacts differently, some swell more than others. Not sure what the indent is? Does the compression bandage push in or is doubled over there? It could be just less swelling at that point, if your muscle repair has gone to just below that? I read you are doing lots of walking, and yes it is good for your recovery, though you may be holding on to excess fluid because of being out in the heat? Any chance you can be in air conditioning?

Don't be disheartened, I think you have been very brave and strong doing this on your own and you will be amazed at your progress over the next 6 weeks. We all have been there in the first week and looked at the scar and thought omg what have I done?! Things will improve. Look after yourself and rest up plenty too.

Cheers

Chacha

Hey, I just had a look at your photos. It does look like a lot of swelling but I'm not sure about the triangle indentation. Maybe you could post the photos on realself and ask other surgeons wha they think. Good luck.

Hi rubii,

you will look fine I stressed out alot aswell and people kept saying its too early to judge. You really need to be patient Iam 3 months post op and my body is still changing every week. Some days I swell more than others.

I looked at your pictures and you have alot of swelling like I did, are you wearing a compression garment? I had an indent just above my left hip it would go away for ages (2months) hang in there... xx lots of hugs xx

Hi rubii, oh you poor thing, I know easier said than done, but try not to worry so much. I had a look at your photos and it does seem to be very swollen, the fact that you have indents shows this, was something pressing on it, perhaps your compression garment?

(I still get indents at 3 months from tighter fitting pants/jeans)

Perhaps get your surgeon or nurse to check your compression garment fits correctly.

I still swell now and have noticed I swell more when I am due for & having my period & also in heat & strenuous activity.

Are you able to see your surgeon for a checkup soon to put your mind at ease, because, (and I don't mean to alarm you) you may have excess fluid that needs to be drained.

Hope it resolves soon & keep us posted x

I haven't had my TT yet, but my first thought at looking at the indents was that maybe the things on the outside (that aren't indented) are your ribs? I know that mine used to be fairly prominent and so I had a lower torch light shape like the one in your photos.

Can I ask what the red stuff is in the middle above your main suture line? Is it severe bruising?

oh my god guys, thanx so much for all replying to me. I feel like I have my mum with me with all your nurturing.

Answering some of the questions. Yes I am wearing a compression bandage. It was the first time I had taken it off standing up. so i had not seen my wounds. Though maybe it is the bandage as it drives me crazy. I felt so bruised putting it back on. So I have turned it around where the velcro is at the back and It feels much better.

The infection was small and is healing well with antibiotics and skin antibiotics.

I see Dr P tomorrow morning at 8;30am. I pushed the appointment forward so I wouldnt worry all day long.

Yes the dark area is all heavy bruising. Dr P told me when he got in there he found every single one of my stomach muscles had split thru pregnancy and had to sew them all up. He said, although not rare, he rarely sees such damage to stomch muscles. So the 5 hour operation apparently went for 6 and 1/2. So I got very heavy bruising from this.

Your right cha cha, Im probably doing too much in the heat. Ill try and do less outside until I get home where its cooler.

Like I said guys, to read your reassuring and warming posts so quickly was priceless to me. Alone and without family can put your mind into some strange states. You have relieved my anxiety more than you could ever know.

Ok, updating since my visit with doc this morning. All ok with indent. he said its because i have such severe swelling down lower and I had lipo up higher then this is the immediate effect. Im not to worry and imagine it 2 inches less puffy within 4 - 6 weeks. so he means I have like 2 inches of swelling going on. he said that because of my heavy suturing with all my stomach muscles I will have worse bruising and swelling than most. phew.

Though with that I also have bad superficial internal bleeding. I had to keep one extra drain in for 4 days and he did not want to take it out as it was still draining alot though i had developed a small infection around the entrance of tube. So he had to remove it incase it got worse and the infection got inside. Therefore where all that blood was going to go in the drain is now flooding up under my skin (nice). It looks shocking. Though he is not worried as my body will absorb it apparantly. He just does not want me to fly as the pressure may stop the absorbtion. Great. So staying. Will take photo's of offending blood flood to show you though he did say this will be gone in a matter of days (i dont know).

like i said before. Thank you all so much for getting me thru those scary moments.

SO sorry to hear you have had an infection and swelling. I too have had ALOT of swelling and I didnt even have lipo so I can only imagine you poor thing! My surgeon said swelling is completely normal and it will take a while before it will settle down.

He also mentioned walking (not miles but enough to get the blood pumping at least!), and drinking plenty of water (8 cups a day is recommended) should help reduce the swelling. I hope you feel better soon!

Thats fantastic! Seriously, who knew after a TT walking could be SO hard?! I mean the whole standing straight to begin with THEN the sore back.......I took my surgeons advice and stretch out on a wall every morning before starting my day (I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow!), I am upright alot more now but its the end of the day hunch that still bothers me......I am not as hunched though as I was at week 3! So, I suppose I am on the way! :o)

I'm sorry you have such bad swelling and have to delay your return. Hope it all settles down soon. How good are you going to look in 2 inches time. I like that your surgeon has focused on you healing - you so often here about the whole factory nature of thailand churning out the surgeries and this clearly isn't the case here.

Hi rubbi, i was bent over till day 10, i was scared to walk up straight. I saw my Dr for a post-op appointment on day 10 and as i walked bent over into his office, he said, i want you to stand up straighter, which i did, and instantly my back felt great. When you see your Dr, see what his advice is, good luck with your healing.

I'm sorry you have such bad swelling and have to delay your return. Hope it all settles down soon. How good are you going to look in 2 inches time. I like that your surgeon has focused on you healing - you so often here about the whole factory nature of thailand churning out the surgeries and this clearly isn't the case here.

hey flat mummy. yes my surgeon has been decidedly bossy about me going any where. I see him every moring at 8 and every second afternoon at 3. The girls at the desk were charging me 1200bht for these visits though he has told them not to any more. Which i was amazed at because it clearly reads in my contract that i will pay for any ongoing care if complications arise. So Im getting the best of care for free. According to him, which I do believe, this would have happened no matter what as I had extensive suturing and the drain wasnt allowed to stay in long enough to compensate this. Though I am paying for a hotel and he did remind me of this. Who knew a surgeon had emotions. All the surgeons I know have had empathy lobotomies.

Anyway, although Ive been loving the break from the kids Im starting to yearn. So I think i need to get home soon. And besides, my husband (who said he could care for the kids with his eyes closed) as predicted is now tearing his hair out. I have 5 children aging from 18mths to 8 years.

Well keep you all updated as I move from appointment to appointment. Thanx again for all the concern

rubii-I took about a decent week to start really standing straight again and even then it was at the surgeons advice of stretching on a wall-it REALLY helped with the back pain! He told me to stand against the wall and stretch my shoulders back straight on the wall. At first it hurt a little as it felt SO super tight BUT then I realised my back pain had eased so I did it about 5 times a day and didnt need a heat pad on my back anymore!

been reading with interest and although i have not had a TT , i want say how amazing and brave you are for going through it , it's not an easy decision , particularly going overseas and it's great to see so much support here that i eases my mind to know that if i ever have a situation , i know where to turn to to ally my fears :)

hope you get better Rubii! and i know for sure you will look fabulous once the swelling goes down, just focus on healing!