Veneers

About two years ago i started getting my teeth healthy and i ended up getting braces instead of Veneers.

My whole aim was to get veneers but the dentist persuaded me to get braces and im not happy with the result i will be going back this month to see if i can get them adjusted or put back on as they are crowding and going crooked again.

Then i think if im going to get Veneers why bother but im really disappointed i paid $6k for braces and that could have been spent on veneers.

When i started to research Breast Implants i noticed you can get your teeth done in Thailand also?

Has anyone been happy with their overseas resultS???

Hi, I am also interested in this, how do you go about this? I know when. Was looking into rhyno in Thailand I found a surgeon and sent pictures and he told me what he thought he could do and the important bit, the cost! Does it work the same way with dental? Cheers Heidi

I booked through Somnio medical, I'm also getting BA. They organise flights and accomodation aswell. All I had to do was send pictures off of my teeth and they then sent off a reccomendation of what they suggest and cost. They rest of the details are done once you get over there :)

• 1 month later...

Please avoid overseas for dental and cosmetic work.

I have friends who went overseas, (yes they did pay a lot less initially) however they are not happy with the quality, they are thinking of re-doing them locally (which is going to cost more).

It is better to researrch, wait, save up and get it done locally if you can.

You get better results the first time when it's done right, rather than having to go through re-do's.

I had mine done locally, could not be happier!

I'm booked in to get 6 veneers and whitening done in Phuket in April :) Can't wait. I was given the option of braces a few years ago but decided against and so happy I am finally booked for Veneers :)

Hkell, how crooked were your teeth? I had braces in my 20's and they have moved back *cries* the braces were very painful and I want veneers now instead but I didn't think they could be used to correct crooked teeth?

Oh, and how much are your veneers costing? (Hope you don't mind my asking)

• 6 months later...

nothing is better than your own teeth, once you take away half your natural tooth to fit the veneer you can never get that back again. It will never be as strong as your own teeth unless you have fractures, weakening or decay in them. not to mention that sometime veneers can look quite bad if you haven't addressed to crooked teeth first.

All teeth will want to migrate back to their original place and that is why orthodontist/dentist recommend that people wear a retainer post braces. Did your dentist provide you with a retainer? If they didn't make you aware of the need to wear one and risks of not wearing it you may be able to go back to the orthodontist and have your braces refitted for free (source: best friend did just that and got them back on for free) I am currently going through this myself, I had a retainer and chose not to wear it, now I will be getting my braces back on this month for 8 - 12 weeks. next time I will definitely wear that stupid retainer :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm thinking about getting veneers lately and have been tempted to go to Thailand but scared I'll end up with endocarditis so thinking it might be safer to stay here. Has anyone had glam smile? They're a cheaper version of veneers and I don't know how?

I've looked into glam smile & decided against them since they're all fitted in one set, rather than individually.

Hey girls, I am a dental nurse and I wouldn't go to Thailand for dental work....just because, ur natural tooth is cut down dramatically to fit the veneer on...they leave u literally with stumps or pegs! Veneers are expensive, but I would pay the extra cash to get them in aus. It's easier to fix a Botched BA,(straight forward BA) then it is to fix botched dental work.but when it comes to ur teeth...they don't bounce back, then if u have to lose the tooth, ur looking at 5k for just 1 implant!!... But I'm a teeth freak.... I guard my Peary whites with my life!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm thinking about getting veneers lately and have been tempted to go to Thailand but scared I'll end up with endocarditis so thinking it might be safer to stay here. Has anyone had glam smile? They're a cheaper version of veneers and I don't know how?

Hi don, a friend & I are looking at going to Thailand in July for veneers/caps, my beautician had her teeth done at the sea smile dental clinic & she couldn't rave about them enough! Have you done any research & found any outstanding reviews? I basically want my veneers to look like what my natural teeth would be, if they were 100% perfect (ie not chipped, stained or crowded on the bottom)

I have veneers. I think the difference between veneers and glam smile is what they are made of. The veneers are porcelain which don't stain, the glam smile are plastic based like false teeth and they do stain. I had my veneers done in Australia, but if you shop around you can get them quite cheap. I saved $4000 by getting a couple of quotes. I had 6 teeth done about 5 years ago and it cost about $6000 then. My first quote was $10,000 because the dentist wanted me to have braces first. I couldn't see the point in braces when I was covering those teeth. I think he was a bit of a scammer to be honest. Hope this helps.

Thanks gumnut! I've had a few quotes here too, ranging from $1000-$1700 per tooth. In Thailand it averages at about $350 per tooth. It's something I am definitely interested in as long as we can find a reputable dentist. I don't necessarily trust the medical tourism companies anymore, not after some of the reviews on this forum!

PIAC does have a dental clinic. I don't know anymore than that though sorry, but at least you can book direct through them and avoid any markup by cosmetic tourist companies. I have read that you do have to supply dental XRays from your own dentist to get a quote.

Gumnut, you may find that prices have gone up considerably since you had your veneers made. I have just been quoted Approx $10,000 for my top 4 teeth to be done! I find that outrageously expensive and well beyond what I can afford!

Wow they have gone up since I got mine done! I did get them in Australia, and was recommended due to gum shrinkage that I may possibly have to have them replaced in 10 years. Well I have about 4 years of serious saving by the sounds of this. As they grind your real teeth down to fit the veneer over the top, its something that you really do have to maintain.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/15/2014 at 10:12 PM, gumnut said:

I have veneers. I think the difference between veneers and glam smile is what they are made of. The veneers are porcelain which don't stain, the glam smile are plastic based like false teeth and they do stain. I had my veneers done in Australia, but if you shop around you can get them quite cheap. I saved $4000 by getting a couple of quotes. I had 6 teeth done about 5 years ago and it cost about $6000 then. My first quote was $10,000 because the dentist wanted me to have braces first. I couldn't see the point in braces when I was covering those teeth. I think he was a bit of a scammer to be honest. Hope this helps.

Glamsmile are made of porcelain. I have them and I love them! They don't stain and they don't need to shave your teeth down because they're ultra thin. However, they aren't suitable for people who have crooked teeth or overly large arches. I had a cross bite and a really narrow upper arch and had braces in the past so they were perfect for me. I think the plastic veneers you're thinking of are the composite/resin veneers, which are made out of the same material white fillings are made out of. They do stain and look terrible after a while!