Jump to content

Medical Insurance ... or just PIAC guarantee??


Recommended Posts

Hey girls

Just doing a bit of research about Medical Travel insurance and whether or not I will need it.

I am having my surgery done at PIAC in July - and they do have a guarantee. Just wondering what your thoughts were on getting additional medical insurance - just in case?

Will I need it?

Did you get it?

How much and who through?

Thanks in advance.

xx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi starbright

How are you ? I went to PIAC and never took out any additional medical insurance , from what Ireland it only covered you whilst in Thailand .... But then again I have seen some post saying that there is a company that covers you for 6 months .... Personal choice I think .....

MumO5

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to PIAC in April, but I've decided to take medical insurance. Global Protective Solutions are the company with cover for six months after at home. http://www.globalprotectivesolutions.com/

I've tried to find anyone who has had to make a claim for some feedback in relation to their service and claims, but to no avail!

People can still have issues that are not related to the surgeons work. Take lexie44light for one. Nothing the surgeon did wrong. I'm not sure on what PIAC position is in relation to fixing it when the time comes. Lexie may not go back anyway.

The biggest risk for overseas surgery in my opinion is the lack of after care. You can't go back for a three and six month check up. You just have to hope all goes well and you're not one of the unlucky ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there

I did look into it and got a quote and sent a few emails and bascially the premium for me was over $400 for $50000, now heres the thing. If things go wrong you dont get $50000, you get 10% of that amount, the other 90% is split over different possible issues. ie, there is a certain percentage if you have an accident whilst away, then there is another certain percentage for something else. So, if something were to go wrong when you got home your policy would only cover up to a maximum of $5000, yes thats helpful, but its not the perceived $50K that you ask for coverage for. For me personally I decided against it. I figure over $400 for $5000 wasnt worth it.

Do your research and ask questions and read their policy and then decide.

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there

I did look into it and got a quote and sent a few emails and bascially the premium for me was over $400 for $50000, now heres the thing. If things go wrong you dont get $50000, you get 10% of that amount, the other 90% is split over different possible issues. ie, there is a certain percentage if you have an accident whilst away, then there is another certain percentage for something else. So, if something were to go wrong when you got home your policy would only cover up to a maximum of $5000, yes thats helpful, but its not the perceived $50K that you ask for coverage for. For me personally I decided against it. I figure over $400 for $5000 wasnt worth it.

Do your research and ask questions and read their policy and then decide.

:)

Interesting!! Can you tell me where this information is? I'd like to read the fine print. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not reccomend Medical Insurance enough. I got GPS which only cost $380 and i thought was worth it for piece of mind. I now will probably have to use it to cover costs to get my BA redone.

It is worth it and for such a small amount I cant imagine not getting it :).

I'll be very interested in their response....... Whether they'll be like trying to get blood from a stone! All insurance in my experience have been less than forthcoming with the cash! Even had to get insurance ombudsman involved once! :mad:

Doesn't mean that I won't take it anyway! :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ladies. Lexie - did you have to pay to have them explained or was that covered under the insurance policy? Who did your BA in Thaoland? Did they have some sort of guarantee? Although I understand it wasn't a surgeon issue ....

Lois - can I ask how much your policy was?

I haven't had my surgery yet, and they'll only give you cover 30 days out from surgery, but I expect around $400 like the others. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...