Sign in to follow this  
MissNewBoobies

Couple of post op Q's!?? Help

1. How long until your pain started to subside?

2. When did you stop using pea packets?

3. Did you use heat packs, if so how long for?

4. How did you feel at the 2 week mark, I'm scared of not feeling better by then as I have to start work!

5. Have been sleeping up right on the couch for 2 nights, how long until you laid on your bed on your back?

Please if you can help me answer these, do not hesitate adding extra advice?

4. How did you feel at the 2 week mark, I'm scared of not feeling better by then as I have to start work!

5. Have been sleeping up right on the couch for 2 nights, how long until you laid on your bed on your back?

1. I felt like absolute hell for the first 4 days, and then suddenly felt heaps better on day 5 and have felt basically normal ever since, with just a little bit of discomfort occasionally if I lie in an uncomfortable position.

2. I only used them for the first 2 days - they're good for swelling but I didn't feel that I needed them much after that, and allowing the blood flow to get going again promotes healing :)

3. I never used heat packs, I would be worried that you wouldn't be able to tell if they were too hot because of any potential numbness.

4. I felt awesome at the 2 week mark, like I was back to normal!

5. I made a big pillow fort (with like 7 pillows) and used that to lie basically upright in bed. It was a godsend, I couldn't sleep before a lovely lady on here put me on to it!

Hope that helps a bit, hope you feel better soon xx

1. i think about day 4 or 5 i started feeling much better, but i kept up with the valium and sleeping tablets until they ran out just in case, and to help everything hrap

2. i stopped using them (i used ice packs) after the time period Dr H's nurse advised me .. cant remember if it was 48 or 72 hours or something.

3. i answered the heat pack question in the other thread but i just used them whenever i felt tight and uncomfortable, and also used them to help me get to sleep sometimes.

4. i went back to work at 2 weeks and was fine doing office work. the only difference was that i was really tired and doing 12 hours away from home everyday was hard to get back into!

5. i slept on my recliner chair for the first 4 nights or so i think .. then i moved back into bed with a bunch of pillows. however i had been lying in bed during the days leading up to then anyway and didnt feel like it was a huge jump! i am sure you will know when you are ready :)

1. same as all the other girls, day 1,2 & 3 were sooo horrible pain wise. I had endone (prescribed pain killers)which was great but made me sleep allot. Day 5 I felt sooo good, I could lift my arms up pretty high but at day 8 I can only extend my arms out to the side just inline with my body and no further. Mornings hurt a bit still and at night time but during the day im off panadol.

I didn't do no. 2's until late in the 2nd day (lol soz for info), so I'd recommend laxatives from the start as its crap feeling swollen and in pain plus indigestion

2. I didn't use any pea/ice packs as I had drains which took away all the swelling from the start

3. I didn't use any heat packs as the pain meds takes care of the edge of pain I think. Endone is really strong and great at night as it helps you sleep

4. I went back to work after 1 week exactly. I work in admin/assistance so I just type all day and I have been fine so far, no pain just pressure on ribs as skin is still loosening.

4. I slept 'slightly elevated' with a few pillows behind me

1. Pain started to subside around day 4.

2. Stopped using cold packs after 2 days. Dr H's nurse (I had Sharon) said 2 days of cold packs then switch to heat.

3. Completely forgot to use heat packs which is why I think pain subsided around day 3/4. I stopped the prescribed pain killers on day 3 and switched to panadol. Only needed a couple of doses of that so off pain killers by end of day 4. Kept taking the valium until they were gone though, as advised by my nurse.

4. Felt great at 2 weeks. Still had morning boob a bit. I was back at work on day 5 after surgery but I only work part-time (Mon, Tues and half day Wed). Had a full team building day off-site first day back then had the next off as I had came home with the flu. If not for the flu I would have been at work. This would have been my half-day anyway. Due to my roster, didn't have to be back at work until Monday. I was also able to drive by day 5 but I only have a 10k drive to work with one set of traffic lights and a couple of big roundabouts.

5. I slept in bed every night with a heap of pillows and my neck pillow. It was about the 4 week mark where I was down to 2 pillows and the neck pillow. 5 weeks was one pillow and the neck pillow and the last couple of nights I've stopped using my neck pillow. I could sleep on my side from about week 3 or 4. There were several nights at week 3 where I had burning pains through my hips from sleeping on my back and I couldn't find any way to prevent them. Gave me some rather sleepless nights.

5 weeks woohooooo must be a bit exciting hey?

I think Ill answer my own questions from my experience now:

1. How long until your pain started to subside? Day 4-5

2. When did you stop using pea packets? 3-4

3. Did you use heat packs, if so how long for? Tried, didnt like them! Warm showers were nice.

4. How did you feel at the 2 week mark, I'm scared of not feeling better by then as I have to start work! Not sure, 10 days post op yet. But feeling ready for work, only slight discomfort.

5. Have been sleeping up right on the couch for 2 nights, how long until you laid on your bed on your back? Day 7 I slept on my back and it truly was amazing, slightly elevated, then eventually was able to lay flat.

Extra advice would be........ Magnesium tablets to relax muscles in you chest, vicks vapour rub for breathing

I'm sure all of these tips will be a godsend when my turn comes. Thanks in advance also :)

what about driving a manual car? i figure thats got to be a little difficult?

Ive got a manual - thankfully as my right hand was my dominant side and that is my painful side, my left has healed quicker and feels pretty good - I think I will be able to change gears okay - havent tried yet.

Ive got a manual - thankfully as my right hand was my dominant side and that is my painful side, my left has healed quicker and feels pretty good - I think I will be able to change gears okay - havent tried yet.

thanks good luck and let me know how you go!

what about driving a manual car? i figure thats got to be a little difficult?

I drove our manual 4wd the afternoon of day 4. Admittedly it was only 5k. It was an emergency of sorts as my daughter fell off her bike, jiggered the front wheel and needed to get to work. Also drove the next day to a work thing 20 min across town. Reverse and 5th were difficult otherwise no problems. For reverse I just shifted with my right hand. 5th I could avoid if needed. I'm lucky that I live relatively close to work with only a couple of roundabouts and corners.

Just try it out and see how you go.

That's great - I'm feeling quite confident in my ability to drive,reading this is very inspiring! You're a good mum! :)

I drove our manual 4wd the afternoon of day 4. Admittedly it was only 5k. It was an emergency of sorts as my daughter fell off her bike, jiggered the front wheel and needed to get to work. Also drove the next day to a work thing 20 min across town. Reverse and 5th were difficult otherwise no problems. For reverse I just shifted with my right hand. 5th I could avoid if needed. I'm lucky that I live relatively close to work with only a couple of roundabouts and corners.

Just try it out and see how you go.

Aww thats awesome! It didnt feel real to me up until the day! I told a handful of people, my mum, boyfriend and couple of close friends... But when I did tell them, hearing the words comeout of my mouth didnt sound truthful and it sounded like I was lying because it used to be such an unreachable goal for me! Have accepted your F/R and looking forward to following your progress in future :D!

Yes it is SUPER EXCITING! It doesn't feel very real at the moment though. It feels a bit like a dream! Did you feel like that leading up to surgery? Did you tell people before you we're having it done?

I've sent you a FR so I can follow your progress :)