Sign in to follow this  
New-me

Mums of toddler/baby post op?

Wondering if any mums have had implants and still looked after their little ones? I have a 1 & 2yo so I'm going to have to continue on and look after them/carry them etc. How did you find it?? any suggestions??

Hi Elle,

I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old so I'm feeling pretty anxious about the recovery as well. I am not having my surgery until May as I know my hubby has 2 weeks off and after that I'll have to rely on mum and mum in law if I'm still struggling.

Even though I'm super lucky to have the support I am already feeling guilty about "choosing" to do this and then have others run around for me.

I so wish I could just come home and watch movies and eat maccas like some of the other girls on here:)

I will say I'm lucky enough to have my mother come and watch the kids for a week by herself and stay for a few extra days to help around the house.. But for the next 4 weeks.. or so I dunno what im meant to do : | My hubby works but apart from that he isnt the best of help with the kids unless if we are out shopping.

If I was you see if your partner can get time off or see family or friends if they can help.. even if its to hang out washing or do the dishes.. or look into day care for six weeks? or a young teen that will come help you at home? aim for school holidays. that way you can watch your babies and just get her to do nappy changes, baths, putting them to sleep... and ask her to do a couple of extra jobs.. pay at a low rate.. probably be worth it if your paying the money to get your boobs done you dont want to risk damaging them or whatever.

I probably will ask a friends daughter to come help for 2 weeks. $100 a week or something. at 13 thats probably a good deal.

I have a 1, 4 and 8 year old, I showed them my bandages.

For the little one I pointed and said ouch so she knew where I was sore.

I was able to pick my little one up after a week.

Kids love to help so getting them involved can help like asking them to get your ice packs or bio oil.

When it comes to house work I got a clothes horse so I didn't have to hang washing up high.

Even got the kids involved using dust buster around house.

I found my recovery the same as Sam's. By the 2nd week I as picking up my 18month, 11kg daughter but couldnt hold her for long. I got a step next to her cot so I could slowly get her into her cot without directly lifting her up. Any movments I did had to be smooth & slow, sudden or jerky movrments would hurt me more than the surgery did.

You'll be unable to push, pull, hold, lift or even open a jar for about 2 weeks while your muscles repair (only going by 'unders' surgery).

I can only just vacume now & it's been a month...I could not chop raw veg or prepare dinners & lunches, wiping benches or even make the bed - those actions cause great discomfort.

The 1st couple of days post surgery are a whilrwind of pain meds, a slippery conscuious aletness & crap T.V.

You'lk need someone to prepare meals for the kids for the 1s few days. Not to mention food shopping...

Thanks girls for that scary but honest account.

I'm already feeling guilty and I can only imagine the IOU's for my husband over the next 10 years:)

Everyone says it's better to wait till you've had your kids to get your boobs done but I am definitely starting to see the benefits of doing them young when you don't have the responsibilities.

Oh gosh, I think I've been a little naïve about the recovery. My hubby cannot have time off work unfortunately and I have no family around & don't know a lot of people where I am living. I'm going to have to do this on my own, my 2yo shouldn't need to be carried but my 1yo will have to lifted in & out of her cot - I will try the step and I'll lower her cot side. First test will be the day after surgery :-/ I am very nervous now and probably should have thought it all through properly. 11 days til surgery!

Glad my hubby can have time off-

And ill be doing the first 7 days of my recovery in thailand so wont have to worry too much. And my

Mother will stay for a week when we get home to do housework (i hate sitting there watching other people do it- if you want the job done properly gotta do it yourself!!) but very thankfull she is so understanding..

So blessed that hubby is a chef- ill be walking to his restaurant and eating there. No meal prep for me! Just lifting miss 2 into the highchair will be difficult.. She always tries to climb so maybe ill assist her with that!

People have recommended having cups and plates etc at waist height so you dont have to stretch n reach for them in high cupboards. Definately do a spring clean the day before surgery: fresh sheets- bathroom mop etc so you know the place will be nice and fresh for recovery :) good luck everyone x

My plan so far: I've booked my 16 months old and 3 year old into childcare full time for 3 weeks and the 6 year old will be at school. Hubby still has to work so there was no choice. I'm staying in Thailand 2 weeks. Hubby will have to handle them the rest of the time and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to cope the 3rd week when I'm back already so I can send them to childcare or keep them home. My MIL will be helping DH a bit on the weekends when I'm gone but after 3 weeks I'll be on my own. I guess I have the option to book more childcare days if I really need them but I think it'll be hard on the little ones so will try to avoid it. I'm having quite a few major things done so I hope I'll heal fast.

Hi all,

I too am having the same worries as all of you.

I have 3 yr old twins and 7 month old but by time of surgery twins will have just turned 4 and little one will be 1. I'm hoping to have my mother and in law look after them for a week as I know I simply could not do it all in the first week ( hubby not helpful) however he does cook occasionally. After that week it will be back to usual duties but I'm thinking of sleeping my one year old on a little made up bed on the floor, he will be in his sleeping bag and all tucked in so he wont move so much maybe even in a playpen. Also I will be feeding him in a small chair that i can clip him in rather than high chair. For bath time, well I haven't really worked that out yet??

Elle c can you perhaps have your surgery on a Friday at least? And hubby help you when he gets home and over weekend?

Perhaps someone babysit just for the Friday and perhaps Monday?

You will need at least some help and rest??

I too am feeling guilty for asking others to look after my kids but the other part of me feels I deserve it now, something for me, I've been needing a break lol I guess this will be it.

Great thread, and some great tips I have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old haven't booked surgery yet but hope to for about 7 months time.

Thanks to this thread ill know what to plan for, hoping to go over seas so will have 1st week to rest anyway.

Thanks for all the info!

For you poor ladies that are not going to have much assistance after surgery I reckon the idea of hiring a teen for certain busy times of day like dinner, bath and bed is a brilliant idea!

Hi Ladies,

I just had surgery yesterday & there is no way I could do this on my own! I have a 4 yr son & a 3 yr daughter!

My pain is ok, I cried trying to get in the car today for my post op Dr app, it feels like I have a truck parked on my chest, really heavy pushing feeling! My husband is here & has two weeks off so I am very lucky! When I got home last night from hospital it was crazy, the kids were crying & freaking out, i think because they could tell I was in a lot of pain & they new something was wrong & that I was trying to hide something! i cant lift anything heavy at all, so I really recommend you try to get some help, you will need it! I had unders so I don't know if that affects recovery different either! Good luck! :)

I'm in the same boat here and this is my greatest concern. I feel guilty wanting to rush ahead with this but feel like I've been waiting half my life to have it done. Part if me thinks I should wait until my youngest is around 2 when she may be more independent but I think depression about my boobs may set in soon if I have to keep seeing my poor sock puppets in the mirror every day much longer!

Well I'm booked for surgery in 4 sleeps ;-) and have no one to help me with my daughter who isn't quite 1 and my 2yo. Ill keep you all posted, I have no idea what ill do if I can't look after them :-/

New-me

Let us know how u go, I hope everything goes ok for you. You sound like a tough cookie.

If there's something you feel you can't do, don't do it!

I think your amazing!

Good luck.

Hopefully there is someone u can call on if u really need :)