Sign in to follow this  
Rose2704

Never had GA?

Hi everyone,

I know there's always a risk with GA but I have never had it before, I have never had any surgery and I can be a bit sensitive to medication do you think I have anything to worry about?

Hi Rose, you will be fine. Your anaesthetist will ask you some questions before determining the mix to use. Let him know that you have sensitivities to some meds (he should ask you this anyway) and what they are. He can then take this into account. You should tell your surgeon too so they are prepared when you're in recovery. You will have a nurse sitting with you in recovery as you start to wake up.

Hi Rose :)

I have had a light GA before but I was still paranoid about the anesthetic part of the procedure! Maybe they use a different combo of drugs etc with this op etc. I asked my surgeon and anesthetist many questions to put my mind at ease and now I am not worried at all!

l

You definitely shouldn't let this worry you. Complications such as adverse allergic reaction are very very rare. If by some weird chance you did have an anaphylactic reaction to the general you are in the perfect place to be treated promptly! When treated promptly you will survive and you will be fine. People have those reactions and use their Epi pens apparently so they would do the same but also have at hand a lot more equipment etc.

Anesthesiologists have a bizillion years of training and are very experienced here in Australia. If they killed a patient under GA then their job is on the line and they are the ones who have to explain it to the Coroner!

Just let them know your concerns and make sure you list any medications you are on as well as any allergies. It is also important to let them know if there is any family history of allergic reaction to GA.

Is the allergic reaction your only concern with it? If you have any other questions just ask! Have done a lot of research and find it an interesting field.

Hope this helps x

Hiya Rose2704,

I was the same never ever had a GA or even been to hospital before my BA... so it was a big deal for me...

I had my OP in bangkok hospital and the Anesthesiologist was a old lady so nice... I told her that I was vomiting easily..she said she would give me medication for it.

I saw her put the syringe with a whitish liquid and I knew It was the drug... I felt weird (but good weird) for like 30 sec... then I woke up in recovery... I was delirious like talking, looking at my boobs... trying to stand up .... I was acting crazy ;-)

my Boyfriend told me he vomited after each GA... but none of that for me... never ever felt sick or nauseas....

Hi Rose,

Unfortunately I'm a seasoned pro when it comes to GA! From the first time I had to have it 5 years ago I seriously have had no problems with it. It does feel a little bit weird going in etc but to be honest you're out to it before you can even think about it! The affect on me afterwards is usually just a funny taste in mouth and a little nauseas - when offered food and drink get it into you even if you don't feel like it as it helps with that considerably!!

You will be fine hun :)

Kara-Lea

x

I have had GA 3 times now, the most recent this week. For me it's not a huge deal, I just always cry when I wake up. This week I had eye surgery and was crying blood... pretty creepy for my boyfriend when he came into recovery! Just make sure you tell them any little detail you think may effect it, like you said that your sensitive to some medication, anything you tell them can help them make it easier for you :) Every antinthesist (however you spell it!) I've had have been so lovely and just want to make you comfortable.