Sign in to follow this  
Scarletrose

PLEASE HELP!! Swelling After Open Rhinoplasty

I'm 8 days post open Rhinoplasty. The cast & stitches came out yesterday (ouch!). When I first saw my new nose it was nice, the bulbous tip was reduced from the side, but front on it was still massive. As soon as I left I took front and side on pictures of myself. Today I did the same and it's almost doubled in size, so swollen. The side profile isn't too bad, but front on it's extremely wide and the tip is even more bulbous than before surgery! Has anyone experienced this with swelling? Can you see it reduce in size as the weeks go by? I'm a little scared and also need to return to daily life again next week. Help!! :(

I'm 8 days post open Rhinoplasty. The cast & stitches came out yesterday (ouch!). When I first saw my new nose it was nice, the bulbous tip was reduced from the side, but front on it was still massive. As soon as I left I took front and side on pictures of myself. Today I did the same and it's almost doubled in size, so swollen. The side profile isn't too bad, but front on it's extremely wide and the tip is even more bulbous than before surgery! Has anyone experienced this with swelling? Can you see it reduce in size as the weeks go by? I'm a little scared and also need to return to daily life again next week. Help!! :(

The tip of your nose is definitely the last place for swelling go down. I'm 1 year post surgery and my tip is still swollen. Not sure what to say.. for me the swelling reduced to a point after 3-4 weeks, maybe 6? Then any further swelling slowly went away.

I feel your pain! You sound exactly like I did when I got my cast off! I was soooo shocked when I got my cast off which was on Day 7 after my surgery. The swelling was terrible. It looked like someone had smacked me in the face with a frypan. I seriously looked like a rugby league player. My husband said (and I quote) that front-on my nose looked like "a giant ball" lol! I can joke about it now that the swelling has gone down, but at the time I was totally horrified at how swollen it was. My initial thought was: oh my god, what have I done to my face!! I don't think they really prepare you pre-op for how swollen it's going to be post-op. Although I had a really big hump reduction so maybe mine was just more swollen than most people's...who knows!

Day 8 through to 11 were definitely my worst days of swelling. I didn't start to notice an improvement until about Day 12, and after that the swelling got a little better every day. About Day 15 I started to look normal enough to be comfortable going out in public.

I went back to work this week on Monday, so about 3 and a half weeks post op, and I was looking pretty normal and certainly confident enough to go back to work. My nose still looks noticeably swollen to me but not to other people (unless they know me well of course).

So hang in there - I know you're probably feeling really terrible at the moment, but just be patient and give your body time to heal itself. The swelling will go away gradually and in a couple of weeks I'm sure you'll be thrilled with your new nose like I am :)

If you have to go back to work next week and you're still not feeling confident, maybe you could request some more time off? That's what I had to do with my work as initially I'd only requested two weeks off. I'm lucky that they were very understanding.

Other advice I can give you is to try taking Bromelain supplements - I think they did make a difference to my healing. I've also been using Traumeel cream. Not sure if it helped but I was really willing to give anything a try. Arnica is another one I've heard of. Oh and stay away from really salty foods as salt is bad for swelling. And stay out of the heat if at all possible. In this heat lately I've been trying to stay in air conditioning as much as I can because my knows swells up if I go out into the heat. You could also try icing the area around your nose (cheeks etc) as it might help to reduce the swelling, but don't know how beneficial it will be at this point.

I hope this helps. Wishing you all the best in your recovery!! Just take it one day at a time and you will be fine.

Edited by gcgirl

Wow, fantastic advice, thank you!! Who did you have your surgery with? Yes, traumerl and arnica have been my best friends as of late, which has definitely helped! It's just so hard to deal with swelling when you've gone through surgery, finally get the cast off, you just want it to be perfect straightway. What was everyone's reactions when you returned to work, anyone notice? When did the swelling go down through the bridge of the nose?

Yeah I know exactly what you mean - I was expecting that when my cast came off I would pretty much be seeing the final result with maybe just a little bit of swelling. But of course as we both know, that's just not the case at all. It was so depressing after spending the week after surgery feeling so crap, and then when you see all that swelling you think oh what have I gone through all of this for. Also, realising that you still have a long way to go in your recovery is a bit of a downer.

The only people at work who said anything were my teammates who I'd told previously that I was getting it done. They were all really supportive and said it looked great. It's really funny though, nobody else has said anything. I think most people are too polite to bring up the topic. So I wouldn't be expecting that you're going to go back to work and everyone will be making comments. Most people won't notice or care as everyone is too absorbed in their own daily lives anyway :)

In terms of the swelling and fatness on the bridge of my nose, it started to gradually diminish around 2 weeks post-op, and then the majority of it was gone by 3 weeks post-op. By then I was really starting to see the shape of my new nose and feeling really happy with it. I think the key thing is that it only goes down a teeny bit each day, so it's more of a gradual thing rather than waking up one day and all the swelling being gone. (One other thing - I'm sure you're probably already doing this - but I find propping myself up at night on a few pillows to keep my head elevated stops the swelling from increasing overnight.)

At this stage, 4 weeks post op, I still have a little swelling on one side of the bridge of my nose. People who don't know me wouldn't even notice it though. It's really weird - on the side where I have the visible swelling, my airway is really clear on that side, whereas on the other side of my nose I have very little visible swelling but the airway is really congested so I think the swelling must all be inside my nasal passages on that side. I'm surprised that I'm still so congested at Week 4 but I guess it's still pretty early on in terms of the airways recovering. How have you found the congestion? Also who did you have your surgery with and what did you get done? I had mine done with Dr Mark Doyle and I am really pleased with the outcome. It's very natural-looking which is exactly what I wanted.

Thank you so much for your reply to this post! I just recently had a rhinoplasty done (exactly 9 days ago) and im happy to hear that you experienced pretty bad swelling around the 8-11 day mark. Right now my nose looks very swollen! Hopefully it will do down in the next few days since i have work!!

I had mine done about 14 years ago lol, and still remember the swelling. It probably took about 6 months until I felt most of the swelling had gone, but closer to twelve months until it was stable. I remember the cast came off, my nose looked nice and neat with a little swelling and bruising and then about two days later it was huge :rolleyes: