How to cope with going back to work 6 days post op???

Hi Ladies,

Having my BA in March! Very excited! But, I am only have 5 days off work! I will have my BA on the Wednesday and be back at work by the Monday. My surgeon said this is all I should need... I just wonder if anyone has any tips to help me prepare for going back to on the 6th day after the op! Will I be able to dress myself in normal clothes? We don't have a uniform or anything, I usually just wear blouses (no zip or buttons). I work in an office but have a busy schedule. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MissBuzz

Hi MissBuzz, I was back at work 5 days post op. it was an off-site team building day so I didn't have to concentrate too hard but I was still able to focus. Was not even all that tired that evening. I ended up having the next day off as I ended up with the flu bug that was going round. I work part time so wasn't due back at work until the next week. You might find you get tired easy. You should be ok. Start to wean yourself off the heavier painkillers about day 3 as they may make you sleepy. I was able to switch to Panadol day 3. You will find it difficult to get into clothes without zips or buttons as you shouldnt be lifting your arms above your head. If you don't have anything you can step into and pull up you might need to make a trip to some op shops.

• 1 month later...

What kind of work do you do? Hopefully your okay! Let us know how you go!

In terms of sick leave, how would you bring it up with your bosses?! I have LOADS of sick leave but I work in an academic setting with mostly older males so I'm actually dreading asking for sick leave for a BA!

In terms of sick leave, how would you bring it up with your bosses?! I have LOADS of sick leave but I work in an academic setting with mostly older males so I'm actually dreading asking for sick leave for a BA!

Emmb

I work in HR - just have your surgeon write you a doctor's note signing you off for 'surgery' (doesn't need to be anymore specific than that) and tell your employers that you need to take time off to recover from 'surgery'; again, doesn't need to be anymore specific than that. At the end of the day, you're not fit for work, and you're recovering from major surgery.

I'm taking Sick for mine. I have over 6.5 weeks accrued though, I'm never off work! So I don't feel guilty about it at all.

Yes just tell them that you have to have surgery and that you will be taking sick leave from this date to that date and you will provide them with a Dr certificate. thats all you need to say, they arent allowed to ask you what it is for or anything like that although they may be concerned about you so i would just tell them that you are having surgery for a minor issue and that you are fine but will be required to take these dates off work.

Hey I am in a similar situation! I suggest telling only your boss who needs to approve your leave that it is medical leave. Once again they can't force the details from you. Tell them it is private and that you will be telling other staff that you are just on annual leave for a couple of weeks for any reason. Then not everyone knows you're on sick leave they just think you're having some time of. The earlier you organise it the better so that they don't think it's a serious emergency or something more controversial.

I taking two weeks off on sick leave and told the boss I'm having surgery. There is no obligation to tell them more than that. She didn't even question it, just asked me to bring in a sick certificate from the surgeon. You'd be pretty keen going back after five days. I was going to take eight days but stretched to two weeks. I'm hoping that's enough.

• 1 month later...

I went back day 10 and it was the worst decision ever. I totally over did it and have been in quite a bit of pain since the weekend. But then again I'm a waitress so I am constantly lifting heavy things like trays, chairs, tables etc. wish I could take more time off but I actually quit so I finish up next week so just have to tough through it.

I went back to work day 5 . Had surgery on Thursdayand worked on Tuesday. It was uncomfortable but ok as I am in an office. By day 10 it was easy. I asked the boss for 3 days leave and when I got back just handed in a med cert from the local gp saying I was unfit for duty, I know that if I handed in the real Drs one then someone would have googled the name. The gp was fine when I showed the med cert and explained why I wanted one from her.. If anyone asked I was going to say womens business cause that drys up all questions.

At the moment I am going to have 10 days off before I go back to work, as I only work every second weekend whilst at uni and I'll be on holidays from uni. However the other day my boss asked me to write down the dates of my holidays so I can work whilst other staff take time off over the holidays. I sort of tried to say I wouldn't be available at the start of July but she started with the 'why?' questions which I managed to divert, but she still wants the dates of my holidays :/ I don't really want to tell her as I think she will be judgemental, but as a close-knit work group I don't think simply saying 'surgery' will hush anyone up... Dramas!! haha.

Hi

I had a BA & TT and returned to work on day 12 post op.

I do have an office job, but I was perfectly fine.

No pain, no drama's at all :)

I also didn't tell ANYONE. I took annual leave/holidays from work as it was school holidays/Easter, so no questions asked there :)

Good luck!

I was back at work on day 5 too. All went well. Probably the most difficult thing was driving to and from as I have a manual 4wd. I have an office job. I work part-time so knew I only had to get through a day and a half then 4 days off. I was back to normal at home, though, and given my recovery, I know if I'd had to work the next few days I would have been fine. Tired, but fine.

You should be fine if you have an office job,I had to take 4 weeks as I'm a flight attendant so can't lift bags close open doors wheel 40kg trolleys etc. wear a button up top that comes up high (so nobody can see swelling)in a dark colour with a jacket so that if you want to sneak an ice pack in you can, I was still icing up to day 8.(just put them in a lunch box in the fridge,theyll still be cold). If your not up to working just call in sick say you developed glandular fever on your 'holiday', go to your gp show him that you've been operated on and they'll write u a cert that doesn't show it's from a plastic surgeon xx

Im basically lookinat at following your plan Genz -

Having op Thurs & back to work on tues. Were you able to drive ok & do you work long days?

Ive put in for annual leave as its a long weekend so no questions have been asked.

Having 285cc brazillian round over muscle.

Can you tell me anymore about your experience?

Thanks & hope your loving the new DD's