Sign in to follow this  
Mummyof3

Drains...

From my research so far they are used based on surgeon preference. amelia-dione had drains for her surgery and swears by them, maybe ask her more details? She posted a lot of info in a thread recently :) They simply drain out all the fluid from swelling so it doesn't build up so much in your new boobies.

Drains are just used to drain out the fluid build up and prevent major swelling. Some people swell more than other.

Some surgeons don't use them at all, some do sometimes and some always. It depends on their technique, what is involved in your surgery etc

I had drains when I had my BA and they are fine. Couldn't feel them at all and only had minimal fluid in them. Wasn't that bad carrying them with me for the first day ( stayed in hospital and they were taken out before I left) and you can barely see where they were put in (next to the incision just a tiny dot on the skin) my swelling had gone by 3 weeks and they haven't changed in size since only shape

Hi mum of 3.. yes that's me i've had drains. check out my 3 day post op pics album I've uploaded a photo of them. Growse but I wanted to show how much can build up. I lost 4 cups of fluid all up!

Apparantly under the muscle causes more trauma so you bleed more and have more fluid in addition to brazilians cause more fluid initially...well so my PS told me, and it speeds up recover. They were amazing, I had them taken out a bit early coz had to fly home and when they were removed i had some fluid build up and it was more painfull especially on the sides or breats and felt abit hot/burning where I didnt have that before. But same as wantbbs my breats havent gotten bigger/shrunk at all.

If you have a favourite PS I wouldnt change for one who does drains but if they do they don't be scared they are truely great, I recon 4 cups of fluid would have hurt allot as my skin was soooo tight as it is

Hi mummyof3,

I also had drains but had them for 24 hours only. In that time I drained them every 3 hours and in total drained about 200ml+ from each breast.

I found that my swelling was minimal (only really at the sides and sternum) and so was my bruising which I think was because of the drains.

As Amelia-dione has said don't be concerned if your surgeon uses them.

I also have a pic up of my first night with them if you want to take a look.

Chinchilla sending FR too ;)...

My drains were covered by surgical tape where they came out from my sides and you couldn't shower. I had them in for 2 days but my docs reccomendation was 4 days but I had to fly home early, so he set them to high Vac and I had to pump every hr. Well my bf did lol

Hi Amelia, FR also accepted.

I got my hubby to help with mine too. It's lucky he wasn't squeamish :)

Also I should mention that they don't hurt to have them taken out and I only have a slight bump where they were but that will go in time.

The drains are supposed to drain away any post-op bleeding and reduce the risk of haematoma (pocket of blood) building up around the implant. The haematoma can increase risk of capsule contracture.

It's very much individual to the surgeon. As others have said, some surgeons use them, others don't, some surgeons leave them in for a few days, others only 24hrs.

I had them for 24hrs post op and had approx 300ml of bloody fluid drained out all up. They were a bit annoying to have hanging in front of me but I wasn't moving much except from my hospital bed to the bathroom and back so it was bearable. Getting them out felt pretty disgusting (not painful at all, just a gross feeling) but it only takes about 2-3 seconds each side so you just take a big breathe and deal with it.

I am not looking forward to having drains. I know my PS uses them :( But I know that they are beneficial so I will have to suck it up. I am just bad at blood and gross looking things so i dont know how i will deal with it very well... and dont they get in the way? like how do you move around/sleep/go to the bathroom with them :o

I'm getting a BA done next month and my Doctor doesn't use drains so I'm a bit nervous about swelling. It's done as day surgery but I'll be staying close by for the night just in case I wake up with problems.