To tell your children??

Okay this is something I have been contemplating for a while now. Do I tell my children I am having a BA?

I have 4 children, 3 boys, 14, 13 & 7 and a 5 year old daughter.

My older boys are obviously going to know that there is a change in my size but what do I tell them? I know they will also be a great help with recovery so I am thinking of doing it next school holidays so I wont have school run, lunches etc. My younger children are going to see Mum lying in bed and want to know what has happened.

Who else told their children or didnt tell them? And what did you say to them? Any suggestions would be great, and please let me know the responses of your kids too!

Thanks

Well my kids are to young. My mum has said from when I was little she wanted BA so it was never no surprise to me and my brother. I will try to explain it to my 7, 5 year old.. they see my getting dressed and will clearly see the difference. they laugh at my boobs.. little turds. but they will only no the basics..

I would tell the 2 older boys.. Make sure you reassure to them that you will be safe but your going to need some help after. And the reason why you wanted it I guess and probably before the surgery id explain that you will be in pain while your recovering.. i think its good to be open so they have understanding and will help you.

Im not really sure how u go about it but i would be open about it..... that way they aint thinking where is she, why is she in pain, why is her boobs so much bigger... because my mum was always open to me I never really stress or was worried about it..

Maybe the 2 little ones explain to them something simple... im just really lucky my boobs got bigger.. over night :) tahts all the chicken I eat... lol no.. but i dont think the need to no much at that age.

I have a 9yo daugther and 7yo son. They have been staying with their dad since I had my BA so have not seen me yet - they will tomorrow. I have not told them yet as my daughter gets so worried about hospitals and operations etc so I felt it was best to wait. I am almost 100% sure she will notice, pretty sure it will just go over my little guys head ;-)....

So in answer to your questions, probably best to tell the bigger ones. My mum had hers done when I was about 12 and I never thought anything of it then, don't think that I really understood to be honest and it certainly did not affect me in anyway or concern me for that matter.

Interested to hear what others told their kids.

I told my 15 yo daughter and she also travelled with me to look after me as my hubby had to stay home to work (self-employed) and look after our son. Our son is 10. Initially I didn't tell him anything as we were concerned he wouldn't be the best secret-keeper. Once home I ended up having to tell him I'd had an operation as he was fighting with me when I asked him for help with some house jobs. For some reason he never asked what the op was but I would have been evasive with the answer anyway. He has since seen me changing a couple of times and I don't think he's even noticed and he does usually have an eye for detail.

I agree with telling the older 2 boys but you could simply tell the younger 2 that you are having an operation that's relatively minor but will leave you in some pain and discomfort for a few days. I really don't think they will notice you are bigger, particularly if you are more cautious now about them seeing you dressing.

My children are 10,7,5 and 2, I really don't see how we would be able to keep it from them. I will be getting my mums help, so they will know something is up.. Obviously the 2 year old won't understand whats going on.. My hubby is a surgeon, so operations and hospitals don't scare them, they just think it's normal! I guess I'm just more worried what they might tell other people, like school teachers etc!!!. I willl just be saying that since I have lost all my weight I'm unhappy with little boobies and am getting bigger ones.. I'm not a door lock kind of shower person so it wouldn't take them long to notice anyhow.. My 5 year old would probably be the first one to notice!! I think in most cases honesty is the best policy.. Obviously they don't need to know all the ins and outs, just a general overview...

Thanks guys, yes I think I will definitely tell my older boys and the little ones probably won't even notice. I might just tell them that Mummy is have a little operation.

Haha kirstyleigh, I am worried if I told my little ones they would tell there friends and teachers at school, lol

My kids all know...to different degrees I guess. I have 2 older sons, 21 and 18, so there was no lying to them. They are a little grosed out by the idea that I got a boob job! lol. My 10yo son knows and so do my 7 and 5 yo girls. The youngest just says Mummy had a dream she got big boobies and when she woke up she did! It's kinda true I guess, so why change it on her :)

I've just told them I'm getting them fixed. My girls are 9&7 and my boy will be 3 when I get it done. They didn't ask anymore but I did emphasise its not something we discuss with other people, breasts are private areas etc, even though I am telling people I just don't think it's appropriate for my kids to discuss it.

My girls would notice, they see me naked a lot so there'd be no hiding it anyway!

Hi Miss Mel,

I have 2 boys, a 14 year old and a 10 year old. I was really unsure what and how much to tell them. I had my BA on school holidays so they were going to know something was happening. My 14year old doesn't even approve of the girls wearing fake tan, so I was quite concerned about what he might think about fake boobs. My husband was able to help out by having a man to man conversation. He explained the changes after breast feeding and how it made me feel self conscious and sad and that I was having the procedure to be a balanced and normal shape rather than just to get really big boobs. I think he appreciated the male delivery and it removed any awkwardness that often plagues a teenage boy when talking about things like this. Mr 10 was a different story. He's a blabber mouth so he had to have limited info so as not to become a hot topic amongst his mates. We just told him I was feeling unwell and he needed to be careful around me for a few days as my general tummy area was a bit sore. Although not 100% specific, I think it was pretty close to the truth and appeased his concerns as well as putting him in a position of power to be able to help, which made both if us happy. Good luck with your procedure. You'll be so happy. Dr H is a magician

I have two kids, master4 & miss3, I told them mummy was sick & had a very sore tummy so they couldn't climb on me or have me pick them up etc! The next day after surgery master 4 said to me, " how come your boobies have gotten big, is that because your tummy is sore?" I thought I had been discreet around them staying covered up etc! They are smarter then we think, not much goes by unnoticed, lol!

I haven thought this far in advance yet.

I have 2 boys a 1 yo and a 4 yo,

Of course 1 yo no prob but 4 yo will notice.

I wear push up bras a lot so may not notice when clothed but will def notice if he sees me naked, or in a bikini. And I think he will def tell ppl hahaha it will be interesting

My children were 10 (girl) and two boys aged 8 and 7. You know, I just told them I had to have a 'little procedure' so they didn't worry (cancer!, etc) but that I'd need help afterwards and wouldn't be able to lift people, etc. Then I just.... acted normal. It's weird, I think they obviously noticed (as I was flat as a pancake before!) but in their little minds it 'didn't compute'.... eg HOW could they get bigger? So I think their little minds just resolved it for themselves (eg "i must be wrong, they must have been bigger before"). Not sure if that makes sense, but I just remember they kind of looked at me like, "Hmm something is different, but how could that be so it must have always been....".

But your boys are older so I suppose you need to tell them something. Personally, I would think they'd be shy/uncomfortable about it or worried about the whole 'boob job' connontations (eg what will everyone think). I guess if you just explained that you want to 'get back to how your body was before children' (whether you were that big before or not!) and for your confidence, etc and hopefully they will understand that. I don't know - I was really worried about the whole 'boob job' and 'pole dancer look' and what people would think (I didn't tell my sister until just recently, 18 months later because of this!).

Anyhow, hope that helps....