quitting smoking & BA

curious regarding using patches/gum etc ive already started my quitting journey (2 weeks smoke free woooo) as i dont want to risk anything going wrong...but im using patches, im sure come closer to my surgery ill be well off them but do they increase any risks and if so when is best to stop using them? and if the odd craving comes back does the gum have the same affect??

any advice would be great...quitting has been pretty easy but i think i would have found the past two weeks impossible without the patch

Hi hun, I quit smoking 3 weeks ago today and I'm currently laying in my hospital bed waiting to have my BA.

I used patches for 9 days in total. I was using the strongest ones for 1st week then bought step 2 for 2nd week but know day 8 I forgot to change the patch and it wasn't until I was going to bed that I realised I hadn't had a cig all day with effectively no patch. So I stopped wearing them and was fine!!! I had smoked 15 a day for the last 7 years and have been surprised at how easy it was to quit on patches. My partner still smokes and I now hate the smell and have no cravings!

Hi hun, I quit smoking 3 weeks ago today and I'm currently laying in my hospital bed waiting to have my BA.

I used patches for 9 days in total. I was using the strongest ones for 1st week then bought step 2 for 2nd week but know day 8 I forgot to change the patch and it wasn't until I was going to bed that I realised I hadn't had a cig all day with effectively no patch. So I stopped wearing them and was fine!!! I had smoked 15 a day for the last 7 years and have been surprised at how easy it was to quit on patches. My partner still smokes and I now hate the smell and have no cravings!

That's awesome and well done on quitting I'm being overly cautious and quitting now when surgery is over 4 months away so hopefully ill be done with it way before June! Good luck with your surgery today hope it goes great and recovery isn't to hard would love to hear all about your experience when your up for it :)

Well done hun that is amazing. You should be so proud. Now you gotta get your partner to get on them too. Its quite funny how quicky after giving up the smell bexomes discusting

Great work guys, I'm an ex smoker and believe me life is better without cigarettes, you will soon start thinking s**t did I smell that bad all that time! It is really gross to me now, I haven't had even a drag of a cigarette in about 8 years and I had a baby as motivation, but I think boobs will work just as well :) good luck

I'm so proud haha it's like something just switched in me and I didn't smoke anymore. On the plus side I don't go through near as much perfume as I did when smoking as I'd spray it on to me every time I got back from a smoke.

I think the main reason they like you to quit is for the recovery - the toxins and chemicals can inhibit healing process as not enough oxygen in the blood.

Xx

My PS wants me to quit 2 weeks before my BA and 6 weeks after, it scares me \'cause i\'ve been a smoker for 10 years and everyone around me smokes! I have never been able to quit successfuly, i\'ve only ever cut down. My PS said I shouldn\'t even use patches or anything that contains nicotine. I\'m scared, my surgery is in March! Karaleap, you must be so proud... I wish I had that kind if will power to quit.

My PS wants me to quit 2 weeks before my BA and 6 weeks after, it scares me \'cause i\'ve been a smoker for 10 years and everyone around me smokes! I have never been able to quit successfuly, i\'ve only ever cut down. My PS said I shouldn\'t even use patches or anything that contains nicotine. I\'m scared, my surgery is in March! Karaleap, you must be so proud... I wish I had that kind if will power to quit.

Hey littleblonde, you can do it! I was exactly the same as you and had reservations right from the start. I set myself a date and I told EVERYONE around me that was when I was quitting and they were so supportive. My partner smokes, over 50% of the people at my work do - You've sort of just got to keep yourself busy and remember why you are quitting. The first 2 days I tried without patches I managed to cut my daily cig's by half so thats why I went on patches as I wanted to stop completely. If you go on patches now it wont affect your surgery...and trust me, if I can do it with everyone still smoking around me, you can to.

Also an app on my phone that I found soooo helpful and opened my eyes a lot is "Cessation Nation" - it counts your progress as you go along, updates your lifeline of health benefits (eg/ 80% of nicotine left your body; 20% cravings no longer). I stil have mine running and these are my stats: -

Time since last cig - 25 days 1 hour 51 minutes

Money saved - $250.78

Number of cig not smoked -376.17

Time saved - 1 day 13 hours 37 minutes

When you see all the facts like that in front of you its very confronting!

Good luck :)

Karaleap,

Thank you for the support. I have tried cutting back the smokes this week. I try to smoke half the amount through the day, but I still have a few at night. I am currently charging my new Electronic Cigarette (it has nicotine free filters), I think it might help because it looks like a cigarette and I can blow out immitation smoke (actually it is steam) and it keeps me occupied from the real cigarettes during the day.

I will definitely download that app, it sounds great. I really hope that I can do this! You have done great, you should feel proud of yourself. Quitting seems so darn hard.

Itybitty - that's fantastic incentive....all those new bra's, new clothes....PERFECT!! I have been shopping online this week due to being at home stuck on the couch and its been so much fun. Keep up the good work!

littleblonde - it does seem hard but seriously, after a couple of days you start to forget about it and really, because you've been so good over those couple of days the feelings of guilt etc would be at their strongest if you had one. Great work on cutting down! Where did you get the electronic cigarette from? My bf was talking about getting one for him to try. Does it still give you the nicotine hit like patches?

xx

I bought it online.

It is called E Lusion (E Cigarette).

It seems to do the job, I got the replacable non nicotine filters but you can also get nicotine and heaps of flavours such as berry, apple, coffee etc.

It comes with a cigerette packet (which holds and charges the cigarette) the packet is a portable charger. The end of the cigarette lights up when you inhale, you can blow out smoke (steam), it doesn't stink and there is no need to ash. Lol. You can use them anywhere too, restaurants and clubs.

I have been using mine all day, just a few puffs here and there. It gives me a similar releif that I get from a smoke.

4 weeks and only the one slip up (didnt count it was Aus day and was only 1 drag) and im feeling great :) everyone said your taste comes back so far havent noticed a difference but nobody warned me my sense of smell would increase to the extreme....i can smell everything but not in a good way! Also dont know if its related at all or maybe its the patches but for past 4 weeks every night ive been having the most realistic dreams im getting confused with whats real these days???

LOL @ Silliam

thanks Karalea :) The dreams are so draining its such a deep intense sleep im waking up exhausted every morning...im getting to the point i dont wont to go to sleep cause i cant be bothered dreaming.... Ive heard of this happening when people take the champex tablet prescribed from the doctor but im not on that....

they are so real and pointless not even a dream book could figure out what the hell is going on in my head?

Well done to all you girls that have quit/are quitting. I am in day 3 smoke-free and feeling great so far. I'm not afraid to admit that I LOVE smoking and wish I could do it without any health risks but that's just not gonna happen. I want this surgery so badly and that's my incentive. I quit with all 3 of my pregnancies and took it up again each time!! Grr idiot!

I made a deal with myself - if I don't quit smoking, I don't get my BA. I am now on day 18 cold turkey, and it has been hard, but it is worth it for so many reasons.

Smoking does have an impact on healing, and so if you are going to spend all that money on surgery, I think you want to give yourself the best chance possible of healing well.

One surgeon I saw refused to operate on girls who hadn't quit for at least 6 weeks beforehand. When I asked why so long, he stated that if someone had only just quit, there was a much bigger chance that when they are sitting around at home, recovering, they are more likely to start again, which is a good point.

Good luck to those who are quitting!

Well done ladies :) I'm the same as you Mummyof3 - I actually quite liked smoking, Loved it actually...I found it really relaxing!

WhingingPom - My surgeon had similar reasoning although he said that he would prefer to at least have 1 week under your belt before surgery of no smoking even though realistically you could quit the day before - he said he wouldn't want me under the stress of trying to quit t the same time of dealing with recovery!