Pain management with Dr Harwood?

I knew enough to ask if I would need to get scripts filled beforehand (they said I don't) but not enough to ask about pain management.

I feel pretty confident that I won't have a problem, but the truth really is I have no idea.

I have never had surgery, never had an accident, never had a broken bone or anything - no idea what my pain tolerance is like.

I am getting unders in 10 days - can anyone tell me what they did for their pain and how long did it hurt enough for pain medicine? (I am unfamiliar will all types except the grocery store basics and panadeine forte)

I'm curious and a little worried (I recently read a post where a woman said she hurt so much she couldn't pump soap)

Don't worry :) Dr Harwood and the nurses make sure you have enough painrelief so you only feel uncomfortable...not strong pain. The other thing is that you can call them to check if you think you are feeling too much and they will advise what to take additionally. I woke in a bit of pain on the first night and the lovely Sharon told me what to take the second evening to make sure it didn't happen again :) I took painrelief when I felt I needed it and still had leftovers.

He gives you:

* Prescription pain killers (digesic)

* Mersyndol which is a chemist pain killer (these make you drowsy)

* Valium (muscle relaxant to help the muscle spasms from being stretched)

* Anti nausea tablets (I didn't need these)

* Sleeping tablets (I didn't need these either - the mersyndol/valium combo knocked me out enough.)

You can't take Advil/Nurofen/Herron blue (all Ibuprofen based products) as it can thin your blood (same as before surgery). I just made sure that I had some Panamax ($3 for 100 tablets from the chemist).

The tablets he gives you are enough for the first 4-5 days which are the worst then you can go to panamax. I also bought more mersyndol because I liked the sleepiness and I kept overdoing it and would be getting sore by the end of the day, a bit more than panamax could help. I kept a couple of the digesic in case I needed them when I went back to work but I was fine. Just started having 1 digesic then 4 hours later 2 panamax then mersyndol at night by days 6-7.

Hope that helps :)

Here is a link to my story - I give an idea of the pain I was in etc day by day for the first week. I got unders too, feel free to send me a friend request if you want more info or want to sticky beak at my pics :)

http://www.plasticsurgeryforum.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12017-Ren-s-story-Dr-Harwood-)&highlight=Ren%27s+story

Edited by renkim
Add link

Lol that was me with the soap! I haven't broken anything been to hospital before either - but my pain was really only quite bad during day 3-4. You should fin my post with my exact meds from dr Harwood - it shows how often I took them etc. ill brin it to the top of the form again

I knew enough to ask if I would need to get scripts filled beforehand (they said I don't) but not enough to ask about pain management.

I feel pretty confident that I won't have a problem, but the truth really is I have no idea.

I have never had surgery, never had an accident, never had a broken bone or anything - no idea what my pain tolerance is like.

I am getting unders in 10 days - can anyone tell me what they did for their pain and how long did it hurt enough for pain medicine? (I am unfamiliar will all types except the grocery store basics and panadeine forte)

I'm curious and a little worried (I recently read a post where a woman said she hurt so much she couldn't pump soap)

My experience was similar to ren's. Digesic during the day, mersyndol at bedtime, Valium 4 hourly until all tabs gone. I wasn't religious with the timing as sometimes we were out. If i woke up during the night, i would take another mersyndol if I was sore but I didn't set an alarm. Day 3 I switched to paracetamol as needed during the day. Day 5, I stopped taking the mersyndol every night, just on nights when I was sore/achey. I still have digesic and mersyndol left. I was almost med-free in a week or so.