Sign in to follow this  
mmj84

Laying straight??

How long til you slept straight after your TT?

I'm day 5 post op and all I want to do is lay down with my legs straight out not up on a mountain of pillows! I'm still elevating my head so not entirely flat out... Anyone?

Hi my Dr told me i could stand up straight at 10 days post-op, so i figured from then on i could lay straight. Laying flat felt like it really pulled on my scar, im a side sleeper so i tended to lay on my side with my knees slightly drawn up. It actually took me a fair while to lay straight comfortably. Good luck with your recovery.

Hi mmj, I definitely was not lying flat on my back at day 5, but not quite sure when I was comfortably able to. I wouldn't want to recommend forcing it this early on so as not to put stress on your incision. I think by the end of the first week I was able to sleep without being propped up (ie one pillow under my head) and onto my side with my legs bent and a pillow between my legs & a small one under my tummy.

I was about day 7 when I started to lay flat.......at 2 weeks post op I asked the surgeon if I was allowed to lay on my side-he told me as long as I had my compression garment on I could lay however I wanted! I was stoked! He also told me to stand against a wall and pull myself straight against it-I rubbed my tummy when doing this (I also had swelling from about 8 days post op). Walk as much as you can as this REALLY helps :o) GOOD LUCK, exciting your 5 days post op! It does get better I promise! (if you get back pain the stretch on the wall REALLY helps and a heat pad!).

Thanks for all the replies!!! I've still been putting my legs up, can't see them being flat anytime soon :-/ my back is killing and can't find the hot water bottle and we're on tornado watch so not wanting to go out to buy one ...

Thanks for the replies again :-)

Hey mmj84 try my wall suggestion HONESTLY it works! Just try and stand straight against the wall and if your feeling tight rub your belly (I still do it at 6 weeks post op!). It will SOOO help your back pain! For a start I thought sure this wont work BUT it really did and its just a simple stretch out your back on a wall! (I made sure to really pull my shoulder blades back straight-every time you do it you should feel better and better!). We still have WILD winds here........I can hear the rain and wind outside its terrible! At least my house still has power thankfully! Stay safe!

Hey mmj84 and buby3, I am in bangkok watching the Aussie news. I am praying that you are all ok over there in Qld and NSW. I can't believe this would happen again to you after 2011. Anyways I just wanted to wish you both well and that we are all worried about you, even on the other side of the world :( good luck guys and stay safe x x