I've developed Mondors Cords - BA side effects

Hi all,

Strangest thing happened today. I was on the forum looking at a girls pics of 'mondors cords' she developed & was intrigued as I hadn't heard of them.

Tonight I was checking my progress & noticed I'd developed 2 cords on each breast under my incision... What a coincidence.

Mondors cords are very common after BA & can develop around 1-4 weeks post op, lasting up to 2months. They are an inflamed vein, they don't cause any damage or problems but can be painful. No treatment that I know of & they go away on their own. Thought I'd share my story incase other girls got this & were worried.

Also luv some feedback from girls who had them & how long till they left?

Mine went after 3 or so weeks. Dr Harwood suggested I buy cream from the chemist called Hirudoid (anti inflam cream) and that I could take nurofen and use a heat pack (provided I had sensation around the area so would know it's not too hot).

Did that daily for about a week and they started getting better. Mine were quite bad and really restricted the movement on my left hand side so I wanted to do something about them :)

I have a public album showing a couple of pics if people want to see.

• 3 months later...

Hi girls, I've noticed I have developed one of these - I'm 2 weeks post-op. My GP didn't even know what it was! It was only that I googled while waiting for my surgeon's office to call me back that I discovered what it was. I'm so glad it's nothing serious. I was starting to wonder whether they'd left something inside me at the op! It's a little ouchy - especially when I extend my arm up or pick up my kids (which I know I'm not meant to do but somethings you just HAVE to do) but it's more of an annoyance. Hopefully it goes away soon. I'll def try the Hirudoid cream - thanks renkim :)

I got 1 on my left side that was really painfully at about 2 weeks- it was gone by about 3 weeks. At 4 weeks I have got a new one on my right side which hurts when I press on it, although seems to be better than it was a couple of days ago when I first noticed it. They are very annoying but I suppose all part of the recovery process ;-)

I ended up with 6! 3 on either side but they were gone on their own after 1-1.5 months from development :)

I went to the chemist originally to get the creme but a staff member said it wouldn't help so I couldn't buy it.

My surgeon thought it was funny that I self diagnosed my self. I called him all like I got mondors cords now wha do it do?

Thank god for this forum, I think I would of had a panic attack. DCPL how did u figure it out off google?

Omg 6 of them Amelia-Dione??? Ouchy!! Yeah, I googled 'complications with BA stitches' and that's the first thing that came up, then I looked at images and I said 'yep that's what I've got'! Even when the nurse at TCI called me back, she didn't even know what they were - I taught her something today lol. Thank heavens for google & this forum :)