Sign in to follow this  
Andy92

Check ups - Dr Harwood - arranging holidays from work

Hi girls!

I am getting in early and booking my surgery with Dr Harwood on 20 December this year (before his practice closes for holidays on 24 December). I just have a few concerns with follow up appts/check ups. I have heard his practice does not open again until 7 January so i will therefore be unable to have the 7 day check up. I am not able to stay in Brisbane until the 7th jan as I will have to return to work back in townsville on 1 January. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What are some of the options dr harwood may give me?

Thanks

A

Hi Andy92, Dr Harwood did mine 6 Dec this year. I'm from Townsville too and was in Brisbane until 9 Dec. He did a check up for me day after surgery (surgery day was a Thursday). I then sent in photos a week later by email. When are you aiming to come home? He could do your check up on 23 or 24 and then you would send photos once the office reopens. I did this for my 4 week check up. They also give you an emergency phone number and someone checks the practice email ever day during the office closure and encourage you to use it if there are any concerns. I always found my emails to be answered by Dr Harwood around 6.30-8.30pm.

Thanks so much Mrstag! I was so worried I wouldn't be able to do it at that time and it's the only time I can take off work. Sounds like dr harwood will work around anything to make sure his patients are well taken care of :)

Hi,

I am in a similar situation (booked to travel down for surgery in March)and am having my "1 week" checkup two days after my surgery and then will send photos throughout the year. I will aim for another proper checkup next time I'm in SEQ - probably December. Dr Harwood told me that he has a lot of patients who travel to see him (some from other countries!) and he is very flexible with follow up care. I hope this helps. :)

If you're looking for accommodation, I would highly recommend Mint Apartments. My daughter and I stayed there when I went down for my BA. It's walking distance to Central Station (400m), Queen St Mall, Woolies and Bakers Delight at Spring Hill and Dr Harwood's surgery. I walked to his surgery for my op and the check up the next afternoon. It was about $7 in the taxi after the op. Right on the river and a lovely little Italian restaurant across the road and nice eateries along the boardwalk nearby. I paid $197/night for 2 bedroom apartment. I would advise ringing them to book as that wasn't their advertised price on the website or through wotif.

ETA: comfy lounge, comfy bed and lots pillows.

Thanks for the recommendation Mrstag! I have been looking at different options for accommodation and the hotel in the same building Dr Harwood recommended doesn't have very good reviews but I do want something nearby. :)

No worries, shelle. It was lovely accommodation. Lots of room and two bathrooms as well. Also, there's a convenience store underneath. I would so stay there again. I'm looking at having a face to face check up in April and will stay there.