Scar Therapy - when to begin?

Hi girls,

When did everyone begin their scar therapy and what did you do and what products did you use?

I was reading the 'scar therapy' blog on this website but don't know when to start putting bio-oil on my scars and massaging them to breakdown the scar tissue. I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and my scars are healed shut but just nervous as I don't want to split them open as the skin is so delicate...?

xx

Hi,

Scar therapy can be started once sutures have been removed and the wound is closed (dry). You can use Bio-oil or silicone sheeting (like cica care) from a chemist.

The silicone shetting is a nice option because it gives the incision extra padding and protection from the bra particularly in incisions under the breast.

Make sure your skin is clean and dry with nothing on it before you put the silicone sheeting on. You start slowly a few hours a day building upto 24hrs removing for showering over a week. Should be worn between 6 weeks to 3 months depending on how the incision is looking.

You are fine to start now.

It's been shown that sheets work better than oils or gels. Silicone sheeting is the gold standard for scar management.

GG

My doctor said I could start at my 4 week check up. Bio oil/rose hip oil and micropore tape. I'm using rose hip twice a day and trying to remember to massage during the day. I tried the micropore tape twice but it was so hard to get off. It stung (obviously taking skin with it) to remove and I ended up using tea tree oil to get it off. I've used it before on two spots on the edge of my top lip after having sunspots excised and this didn't happen so I don't know what is going on. Not game to try again.

I Started at 6 weeks. I had been wearing micropore tape since week 2 but I was developing a reaction so I stopped using it. When I asked about silicon sheets and el the doc said they haven't proved they are any better than a good moisturizer. I was given some samples of the silicon gel kel-cote. But I haven't noticed anything different in 2 weeks. As for bio oil I was told to avoid as its no better than sorbelene or again a nice moisturizer plus the price is ridiculous. I'm now just using a vitamin e cream that has coca butter and a few other vitamins in it and I think it's way better. Color is starting to go now.

The main thing to improve the scars is blood circulation through massaging which helps soften, break down the scar tissue and help the color dissipate. Doesn't matter what you use really.

thanks every one :D

my case is a little different as I have "internal stitches' created by an internal map sticking method they disolve after 3 months, I never had external suters. My skin is closed and there is a faint scar with not much colour, it's aready white but quite hard/lumpy which i'd say is from the stitches being inside still

So does everyone think that 4 weeks would be okay to start massaging? my PS reccomended Palmers cocobutter with vitamin E, I was thinknig that the silicone pads sounds great but costly to keep up for so long? Do we thing that the scar cream or oil would be as good?

xxx

Hey hun, it might be a bit different but i had an op on my shoulder and have a large incision and when my waterproof dressings came off it looked horrible, all raised and lumpy and felt quite thick. I saw my surgeon afterwards and asked him why it looked like a vagina on my shoulder (lol it seriously did) and told me that he stitched it that way because of swelling and that when all the swelling completely goes it will drop down and sure enough after about 6 weeks, it became completely flat and is just a thin line now. He said if they stitched it tight and not bumpy like that then when the swelling goes then it can stretch the scar and make it look crap.

Id think that it would be the same type of thing with the incision on your boobs. I bought vitamin e capsules from the chemist and popped them with a pin and did a massage into my scar every night after about week 4.

*NB i know this wasnt a BA scar but it might be helpful

hahaa it actually did, i was sooooo devastated, my surgeon did crack up laughing though when i asked him why i looked like i hat lady bits on my shoulder.

seeing how well my shoulder scar healed though made me not freak out about a crease incision with the BA cause its unbelievable how well they heal.

And defs get onto the vitamin E capsules, i reckon they are awesome and way cheaper then the less concetrated lotions

Body plus how is Siltape better? Does it contain silicone? Wouldn't it be hard to massage the scar whilst on & come unstuck?

Also has anyone has laser scar removal or something similar? I had an operation when I was a kid & it lets a nasty scar on my top right breast about 4cm long a 1-1.5cm thick. It never faded & now I have nice boobs I'd like it gone