Sign in to follow this  
Polishgirl

Does this sound like I need a TT or just workout harder?

Hi,I have given birth to my 4th child 8 mths ago,and although I have lost all of the baby weight and more,I don't have a flat stomach. I forever have to suck it in to make it appear like I'm toned. Now when I lay down and do a half sit up,I can stick one finger easily between my muscles. I remember them being like this after my first bub,who was also a c/s (not sure if that makes any difference?).

I never had a toned flat tummy even before kids,so I'm thinking maybe I just need to work out and concentrate on my abs (I have zero core strength). But then I saw a video online from some plastic surgeon saying that if there is any gap between the muscles,there is damage and only surgery will fix this.

Can anyone clarify any of this for me please?. Sorry if this all sounds like rambling :)

Hi Polishgirl, after i had my daughter my midwife said at day 2 i ahd a 4 finger gap between my muscles and by day 7 it was a 1 finger gap. my daughter is now 18 months old and i still have a little bit of a gap, maybe half a finger, but i dont believe this causes me any problems with the way my tummy appears.

Ive had friends with quite severe separation and did worked with a physio to correct the separation and they had great results.

If I were you i would try and do target exercises to help them back together and strengthen your core before you have such a massive surgery like a tummy tuck. My mum had one done and the scar is quite big so id think you would want to avoid it if possible.

I have looked up TT scars,and they are very big. I would definitely like to avoid it if possible.That's also why I have planned for my BA in June at the earliest,it gives me time to get my body the way I want it,or at least give it a good shot of getting my abs into decent shape!.

Good luck hun, you are in great shape especially for having 4 kids and your youngest is only 8 months old. I think give it a few more months with some targeted exercises and you might be fine =)it did after all take 9 months for the tummy to stretch that big so its only natural that it might take around the same time to fully return to normal

Hi Polishgirl :)

I'd definitely give it a bit more time before you consider something as drastic as a tummy tuck. The scars are quite large and the long recovery would be fairly hard with 4 kiddies. After I had the twins, I had a 10 finger width gap - if I cruched my abs I could fit both fists in side by side with room to spare - my physio said she'd never seen one so big. I did a LOT of pilates and core work and now only have a small gap either side of my belly button. I do have some crepey skin now that bothers me, but don't really want to get a TT if I can avoid it, so I'm going to have some consults about RF skin tightening to see if I'd be a good candidate.

xx Jen

Thanks ladies!. Wow Jen that is a massive gap!. I also have what i guess what you could call crepey skin just above my belly button. it looks more like cellulite,but on the plus side i didnt get any stretch marks with any of the kids.I have already managed to lose 9kg on top of the 14kg I gained in my last pregnancy,so now I have to tone up massively,in particular my abs.

Hi Polishgirl, I would definitely give your body more time to get back to normal before considering a TT. Do try some toning up exercise to see if it helps you get the look you want. My PS told me no amount of gym would fix my problems, but I had pretty bad muscle separation, lose skin & 2 hernias that made me bulge, look pregnant & distorted. After my TT my tummy is still not flat. Aside from the fact you can suffer from swelling postop for several months, even up to a year Ive read? I also bloat quite easily. My surgeon said he would repair the damage but it was up to me to tone up. Although active running after 3 young children, I am not a sporty/athletic person. I joined the gym about 6 months before my TT to get fit but did not really enjoy it. I am waiting to reach 6 months post op before commencing any ab work, but I do plan to force myself into it.

All the best and I hope you are lucky enough to be able to achieve what you want non surgically!

Ok, my advice is very simple-visit a doctor OR physic-they will show you how to check if your muscles have seperated. I had twins second time around and a c-section and my muscles DEF seperated. I had a 35mm gap which 8 weeks ago I got repaired (and I haven't regretted-in fact it has changed my life-scar or no scar!). I was a size 8 before having my twins and quite fit (didnt have abs or anything though I wish!), after having my boys I gained quite alot of weight (after breastfeeding them a year I just gained and gained and gained) I then took charge doing pilates and eating plenty of fresh fruit and veges. I was proud to be back at a size 8-I waited a year before doing any hard core ab workouts because I was told to leave it until after the first year of having a CS. I thought at first I had cellulite BUT then I realised the more I exercised and the weight dropped off my stomach just didnt look ANY different in fact I was like a puppy all this skin..........I have a scar but I dont care because for the first time since having my children my stomach looks like it did pre-children! I suggest seeing a doc or physio figure out if in fact it is a muscle seperation factor or just you need toning. I suggest pilates for any core workouts AND you can do them at home and fit it in around family and life! :o) I am about a month off doing my pilates certs that is how much I LOVE pilates. It literally saved my life and I was toned and felt AMAZING! GOOD LUCK, I wish you well with your tummy journey no matter what the outcome is! :o)

HI!

If you have a Loose floppy tummy, that has been over stretched for having kids, this is Surgery only! Loose Skin CANNOT be tightened up!

If it is Only your muscles that have come apart, which it does after child birth, then yes these can be tightened back up! Lots of hard work though, but it is achievable!

I had a TT 6 weeks ago due to over stretched skin. Doc Also tightened up my tummy muscles too, so I now have a Flat Sexy Tummy at long last :D

Hazel ;)