Sign in to follow this  
Sukii

What did your "elf" have to help you with?

Hi ladies,

As some of you may already know, I'm fortunate enough to have my sister travelling to Melbourne with me (we live in regional VIC) for my surgery.

As she will be looking after me until I'm able to do everything myself, we have started calling her my elf as she is going to be like Santa's little helper hehe.

Yesterday I mentioned to her that she may have to help me pull up my pants after using the bathroom and flush the toilet for me for the first couple of days.

She then innocently asked me if I would be able to wipe myself or if she would have to do it haha.

I realised I didn't actually know the answer to that question. I figure I should be able to, right? :confused:

It suddenly occured to me that I have been making lists of what to prepare myself for pre and post op but not actually considered what my sister should be prepared for. :eek:

So my question for all the post op ladies who had their own elf assisting them during recovery is, "What are the things that they helped you with?".

I'd like to make a list to give to my sister so she knows roughly what she is in for.

Thanks,

Sukii xx

i was able to wipe myself! just to clarify. needed help pulling my undies and pants up though.

needed help with

- drinking (holding cups)

- sleeping

- walking around

- sitting up

- sitting down

- making food

I am actually going to stop right there and just say to be perfectly honest with you - first few days i needed help with EVERYTHING. I just was so out of it i couldnt do it, didnt have the strength and couldnt physically do it.

sleeping - have someone lower you down or help you up that is where i really struggled.

i hope you get better answers than this - but i really did struggle with normal every day activities.

Hi Sukii, I was pretty much able to do everything myself apart from reach up high etc. I did need hubby to get things from another room in the middle of the night cause I was just too exhausted after waking every 2-3 hours for my meds. Regarding the loo, everyone is different but about 5-6 hours after my op the nurse said that I would be checked out once I ate my sandwich and went to the loo. I was waiting for my hubby to arrive at that time so I got myself up, grabbed my drip from the stand, walked to the loo, closed the sliding door and went to the loo, washed my hands and took myself back to bed.

When I had my 24 hour post op appt the nurse said it was good I was doing things myself(obviously within reason) as it allows you to adjust and not sieze up. After that appt I had to go to the shops and buy a new bra. I was out of home for a total of approx 4 hours, including my post op appt.

Day 2 I walked to my local shops about 7 mins each way and day 4 was Xmas and I spent the day at my in laws and no one questioned me at all about being sore etc the only one who did was my sister in law who knew what I had done.

I had dual plane so maybe full under muscle is a longer recovery HTH.

I should also add I was making stewed prunes the morning after my op. It's not full cooking but involved 15 mins of being in the kitchen. I did ask for help with opening and closing the car door and carrying my hand bag at 6 days.

I'm going to agree with miss new boobs & say everything but wipe my ass lol. Pulling ur pants down is hard coz it requires allot of muscle tensing.

I could open doors & sit up in bed on my own. Quick test- can u sit up in bed with abs only & not ur arms? If not she will need to sleep in the bed with u for toilet stop ;). I just slept no nickers as was easier lol.

Ur just soo drained & weak, mostly u sleep & watch TV so don't require to much nagging for help

Hi Sukkii - also agree with the girls comments above. I had unders so "apparently" this makes recovery a little longer, but to be honest, you are just plain exhausted. Exhausted emotionally and physically. And all you want to do is sleep hahaha

I found I also WANTED the support of getting in and out of bed, as I was a bit scared of doing damage etc, and having someone next to me is calming. Just in case I needed them or got myself into a difficult position etc.

You will need help with anything that requires reaching behind you (putting on seat belts, fixing pillows behind your head), and also reaching up (getting cups from cupboards, doing your hair). Heavy things is also difficult (getting out a jug full of water from the fridge, lifting a heavy saucepan - or maybe I'm just weak LOL)

I needed (and still do) my boyfriend to help me shower. He had to wash my hair for me, wash my legs etc, and has to put my hair in a ponytail. Not sure how your sis will be with this???

xxx

Hi sukii, I was very similar to Chinchilla. I was amazed at how easy my first few days were. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting and I was very lucky. I had my 15yo daughter with me. We'd bought a few groceries before op and made sure the meals were simple - pre-roasted chicken, rolls, salad, cereal. I was able to help prepare meals even on the day of the op. I went shopping day 1 and 2 but really listened to my body so I didn't overdo it. We also had a dinner out and breakfast out. I would get my daughter to carry my bag and open doors. She also dealt with the suitcase on our way home. She would also fetch and carry if I didn't have the energy to get off the couch. I made sure I went for a walk each day (recommended by doctor) and she would come with me both for company and if I needed help. I had unders.

Thanks so much for all the info. ladies!! :)

I've started compiling everything you have all said into a list for my sister. :D

We will be staying with a friend who has had a BA and her family while we're in town and she has offered to help out if we need anything but I think we should be fine.

It's funny, I've had a nosejob and she's had a boobjob and now I'm getting my BA and she has been going to consultations for rhinoplasty haha.

So at least if anything freaks me out, she'll be there to tell me whether it's normal or not and I'll be helping her through her rhino when the time comes.

I count myself very lucky that I will have my sister, my friend AND the forum members for support. It's a beautiful thing. :)