Sign in to follow this  
littleblonde

How bad is the pain after a BA? How long does the pain last?

Hi Ladies,

So, i've been told that the pain after a BA isn't that bad. But does it feel like any other type of pain? Is it a sharp pain or a throbbing pain? I am so excited but a little scared at the same time.... Is it more painful during certain body movements?

If you could rate it from 1 to 10, how would you rate it?

One of my friends said she felt like she was 'hit by a truck' and the other said she felt discomfort rather than pain and it was more like she had 'done too many push-ups'

They both had unders but they seemed to have a different view on the pain. I am getting overs so i'm hoping it won't hurt too much 'cause I have a one-year-old to look after.

Littleblonde, mine was probably a 6 at its worst. Easily managed to 2 or 3 with the painkillers. I was on panadol as needed after day 3 and the occasional mersyndol at bedtime as needed, drug free after about a week. Basically my experience was like your second friend's. I was still very tired for first week but was also fighting off a virus days 4-6. There was a LOT of tightness in the chest and I couldn't breathe as deeply. Some body movements do hurt more than others - anything that uses your pecs (garlic crusher, cutting pumpkin). I also did my best to avoid sneezing or coughing. Having said all that, my kids are 10 and 15 and I work 2.5 days a week. I had unders.

each and everyone will be different,

but for me the first 2 days i had nothing no pain at all. once i started getting up and walking around and doing more mine would get pain. i had a sharp nerve pain that i would get near the nipple to the incision area.

from what i noticed i would get the most pain from when i went from lying to standing up.

all in all the pain was never that bad.

i think mine at worst would have been a 6-7 and that was only for a second as i got a shooting nerve pain other then that it was about 3 at most.

ice always helps and keeping up the pain meds.

also the pain i got was 90% of the time only in my right implant, must be cause im right handed and use that arm alot more.

I guess a 6 doesn't sound that bad. I rated giving birth 150/10, lol. My partner will have three days off work so hopefully I will get some rest in that time. Did your virus have anything to do with your surgery? Or did it just randomly appear? That would be an unpleasant thing to have.

My pain tollerance is pretty good but it depends on the pain as well. I don't do well with period cramps but I manage okay with headaches, bee stings and back pain. I think I have a low tollerancefor sharp pain rather than throbbing pain. I suppose a week flies by pretty quick so i'll try to keep myself occupied as much as I can. Thanks for the reply :)

I prepared myself for the worst pain ever after hearing so many girls say it was heaps painful. I seriously had no pain! It was just discomfort and loss of strength. I think I had one day of pain around my incisions but that was like 3/10?

I agree with mrstag, you will find it a little hard to breath deeply from the tightness in your chest the first few days. Nothing to worry about though:)

Also, I didn't have drains, so I did find my ribs were tender to touch because of the fluid moving down from my boobs.

I think my surgeon is just really gentle. Everyone I know who has had their Ba done by him have experienced little/ no pain.

Everyone is different..

I think you'll be fine since your getting overs.

GOOD LUCK:)

It was something going round at the time. People at work had it before I went away, but given the timing I probably caught it on the plane coming home. Didn't get too bad, probably because of the anti-biotics after my BA. I pretty much slept it off. I think keeping to your regular routine as much as you can while listening to your body so as not to overdo it is best. If you're tired, sleep.

For me, day 2 and 3 I wanted to curl up in the foetal position (laying upright of course) and cry. It was non stop stabbing pain. I can honestly say it was the worst pain I had experienced and I found it worse when getting up from laying down to an upright position. I have a pretty ok pain tolerance, I think it was because it was a non stop pain that made it worse.

Now I'm day 5 and every now and again I get stinging pains on the underneath of my boobs, the op site and my nipples. Nothing I need pain meds for though :)

Had mine done this morning - I rate the pain as an 8. It is awful, so awful I have even lost interest in my new bosoms - my focus is on pain only.

It is my first time having real pain though so this might be a contributing factor.

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for stronger pain meds - I am praying that they will say yes - I cannot even get out of bed WITH HELP, I asked my husband to help me out and then just begged him to stop due to the awful pain it brought on - and this was after I'd taken my meds and given them a chance to work!

My fingers are crossed so hard - I am very scared they will refuse to give me anything stronger. :(

LittleKitten,

I am sorry to hear you're in a lot of pain. Did you get unders or overs?

Hopefully they give you stronger meds, what are you taking at the moment?

I really hope I don't chicken out. I suppose i've been through child birth, so the pain definitely can't be that bad. The thought of big boobies is keeping me motivated! Thanks for the help ladies. Everyone is different I guess, I need to be brave. Lol.

oh no littlekitten i hope today is a little better for you. Hopefully they can give you some stronger meds like endone and tremadol. massive hugs and just remember that each day wont be as bad as the day before

Had mine done this morning - I rate the pain as an 8. It is awful, so awful I have even lost interest in my new bosoms - my focus is on pain only.

It is my first time having real pain though so this might be a contributing factor.

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for stronger pain meds - I am praying that they will say yes - I cannot even get out of bed WITH HELP, I asked my husband to help me out and then just begged him to stop due to the awful pain it brought on - and this was after I'd taken my meds and given them a chance to work!

My fingers are crossed so hard - I am very scared they will refuse to give me anything stronger. :(

Littlekitten I hope ur pain subsides quickly :(

I too am TERRIFIED of the pain that comes with surgery....well surgery in general freaks me out as I've never had to have one (thank god)

I get pretty bad period pain which I usually take neurofen for and I find I don't need stronger meds...so if its like that ill be happy...if its worse ill cry!!

I had my done yesterday and while I was still drugged up last night the only real pain I had was when I moved... I even helped my mum make the kids lunches etc for school.. Today I am probably sorer then yesterday but again ok while im not moving... someone else described it as the feeling when your boobs are full of milk and ready to feed.. this is exactly how id describe it... if you've never had a baby then I guess that description isn't much help!! lol

I'm all bound up and I think a lot of my discomfort is from the tape that is stuck to me...

I'm going to say an 8! it was awful and sooooo much more painful than I ever expected. For the first 4 days were hell, there was no break just pain all the time, no throbbing or shocks just constant pain :(

I flew home interstate 2 days later and ran out of my meds, I broke down in tears at the 24hour clinic because they wouldn't renew my script as it was interstate and I had to wait to the following day for them to confirm with my PS. I just balled my eyes out lol.

In saying this i had half under the muscle, and my pecs are very developed my personal training. When I lifted up my old boobs I had full on square man pecs under (eeek) so I had much more pain coz my pecs were soo tight and developed.

After 5 days it was bareable then 2 weeks it's great ur like aaaaahhhhh how lovely they are

I would have to be with Amelia in regards to the pain, mine was about an 8 if my medication was wearing off but i ensured I was always kept taking my pain killers when needed. Getting up in the morning was the worst pain for me it was unbeliveable the pain so hard to describe... But many morning i had some tears and my hubby didnt know what to do... lol! But after 1 1/2 weeks I was pretty happy as I had no pain just a little uncomfort. I stopped my meds around 4 days after op and only required a few panadol at night just to give me a restful sleep :-)

I am so glad I started this thread, as it gives me (and others) an idea of what the pain is like. To all the girls who are currently in pain, I really hope you have a speedy recovery.

KristyLeigh, I can still remember the way my breasts felt while they were full of milk. They were very hard and sensitive to touch, with a throbbing/tingling sensation.

Thank you for replying Ladies, at leasts this gives me a rough idea of what to expect. I am starting to feel a bit anxious lately.

Yeah I must say I had a pretty terrible first 3-4 days as well where I would describe 8/10. I was on panadene forte. I actually had 2 panic attacks the first night when I was in hospital because I couldn't breath...freaked myself out..it was just from the tightness.

Now, 2 weeks later..I love them and would do it all over again haha

seems everyone gets sent home with different painkillers. I was sent home from my shoulder reco on endone and tremadol and some other stuff and it really controlled my pain, was awesome, although i couldnt function on them, was better then being in pain.

IM going to ask my surgeon if i can have some strong stuff, my hubby will be home for 10 days anyway so im thinking that id rather be drugged up and pain free then on panadol or something

Hi littleblonde :)

I would rate it at 5-6/10. And that was at its worst on day 2-3. It was more of an "annoying" pain, if that makes sense. I found by day 3 I was off the stronger pain meds and just took panadol and half a Valium at night (as my pecs were sooo tight from gym).

I think the pain also depends on how big you go - if you push for a bigger implant than suggested, it seems to be a bit worse (my friend got 620s and was in AGONY for 4-5 days). Though with overs, this shouldn't be such a problem as the muscle isn't being cut/forced to stretch.

Since you're getting overs, I don't think you'll have to worry too much about severe pain. Just keep on top of the swelling with ice packs for the first 48 hours :)

I had unders on Tuesday and I have hardly been in any pain at all, touch wood. Few hours out of surgery I was getting myself out of bed, Ive done my own hair and stuff. Ive only felt pain when I accidentally tense my chest muscles, pushing something hard or something. One thing is flushing the toilet. A couple of times my incisions have started hurting but even that hasn't been that bad. I usually am a sook with everything too so maybe I've just been lucky!

Hey fox, while in hospital I was given endone (about 3/4 hours after surgery) and oxycodone (at night because its a slow release drug) as well

I still have heaps left from my shoulder surgery, i wonder if i could just ask if i could take one if i was in big pain.

I stopped taking my meds too soon and i was in the worst pain ever, i really want to avoid that this time. Definitely wont be taking anything though without getting the go ahead from my surgeon first. I just wonder if he will allow me to take some if i already have them, he wouldnt have to worry about me just pretending to be in pain for strong pain meds type thing, as i know Drs can be hesitant to prescribe them for that reason but since i already have them maybe its different

who knows, maybe i wont be in big pain anyway, just reading this thread has me a little nervous

Hi Little Blonde!

The only major pain I went through was more shock when I first woke from surgery(still very loopy from anaesthetic) I had to adjust and keep very calm to be able to handle the new weight on my chest. I had to keep telling myself to be strong because if I cried or freaked out I would have had diffivculty breathing.

It wasn't before long the nurses put me in my cute hospital room and gave me all the best medication I needed. Once I woke up again I felt so happy!!

The pain you feel when going through BA is just very heavy and TIGHT feeling on your chest.. As the days go by your stitches's/wounds begin to get sore because they are healing :) so it's good soreness :)

The pain is bearable throughout the whole recovery if you stay on your medication and take it easy :)

Such a great experience!

Raquel x

Hi littleblonde when I have my 1st BA I wake up with tightening on my chest and the pain is not so bad about 4 to 5 in rating. Is very manageable, but I got told for a girls that never breast feed the pain is worse than with the girl who breast feed. BA is not painful having remove & replacement is. Make sure you make heaps meals and freeze it you will thank yourself later on.