I still have breast milk !!

Hi ladies ! As most of you know I'm booked to have BA at bangkok hospital phucket with dr witton in 9 WEEKS !! I stopped breast feeding my 19mths old coming up 5month ago and they told me I could have surgery 6month after stopping breast feeding anyways it's neary 5month now and I woke up this morning and noticed I was leaking few drops of milk !! :/ this is the first time it has happen since stopping now I'm worried it won't fully drie up in time for my BA will they still do it if there's even a tiny bit or make me sign a waver or something ??

Haha so funny this came up, im going over to bangkok in a month or so and have been PARANOID ill fall pregnant.. Woke up yesterday and after feeling nauseous for a few days i squeezed my breast (have no idea why, curiosity i suppose!) and a drop came out (i stopped breastfeeding over a year ago!) And i havent noticed it at all up until now, after so long aswell...

I nearly cried! A few hours later i got my lady friends tho so i know im not pregnant.. I think it could be hormone related, as it happened at that time of the month.

Some people will leak years after breastfeeding so its not a problem.. As long as your not producing milk and expressing alot its fine... One drop does not mean your still lactating :)

I know exactly how you feel though!! my heart dropped haha

Us women stress about everything.. I just want this surgery over and done with already so i can enjoy some lovely boobies haha

Those tablets work off hormones too i asked for them as i had alot of milk when i weened and stopped feeding and was in alot of pain (fully engorged was ridiculous!!) but my doc wouldnt prescribe it as its not "ideal"... Could have just been her opinion but aparently being hormone based it can have adverse affect on your mood and emotions.. Depression etc.

Not sure if this is just while weening though... But def talk to your doc about it.

Hi ladies

its been nearly 2 yrs for me since I stopped breastfeading and was 3 yrs I between children that I leaked , apparently it's normal to still produce milk up until you fall pregnant again then it will stop and around 7months will start producing colostrum again. I spoke to dr if you still have excessive supply I would ask them to check your prolactin .

Surgery wise it's all safe and you shouldn't have any probs.

Thanks for posting this - I'm in the same situation. I've gone on the pill and have been taking antihistamines, but lefty is still producing milk - I only have 2 weeks to go. I think the main issue would be if you still had extra volume due to feeding and then once you finish feeding you lose volume, so obviously surgeons want to work with a boob that isn't likely to change in size and then the boob not look plumped/ need a lift etc. I'd say after my anchor breast lift my boobs will accept defeat and finally dry up.

Thankyou all for the great info ! I did just pop down to the chemist and she said that it's really not Recomened to take those tables unless I have a lot of milk in pain boobs are hard so pretty much only if there were no other options ect as it has bad side effects and is not good on your body ect pretty much everything that has been said :) she also said that most surgeons won't have a prob with still doing BA if there is a small amount left its more they wait 6mth for the breast too settle again size and shape wise :) thanks again not stressing so much now x

A similar question was posted on real self and all the surgeons that replied pretty much said that lots of women still have a little milk left months/years after weaning. That even women who have never breastfed/had kids can have "milk pockets" when you go in for surgery.

I'm the same. I've weaned for over 4 months now and supply was pretty low for the last 2 months before that (down to 1 feed) and I can still get a few drops. Even in between my pregnancies years after weaning I could still get some out. I doubt I can make it stop now.

I agree that it's probably more important to the surgeon that the changes that happen after bfing have stopped.

Hi Laura!

You sound very similar to me! I am having a BA in about 7 weeks at BHP. I also have a 19 month old and stopped breastfeeding over 1 year ago. I have small amounts of breast milk. I don't leak but if i squeeze them a few drops do come out. I am not too concerned as there is not all that much. I am a midwife and it is very common for women to lactate for years after they stop breastfeeding. Also some contraceptives (such as depo) make you lactate as well. I wouldn't be overly concerned as the amount of milk in your breast ducts is probably not significant enough to make changes to your breasts, compared to what the amounts of milk when you are feeding do! Maybe take a suppressant, or contact BHP in regards to this. They are always very quick to reply to any questions.

Good luck with your surgery! Who's your surgoen? Mine is Dr Piyapas.

Cheers,

Maz x

Hi Laura Scott,

How are you? I had my BA Nov 2012 stopped breast feeding in June 2012 when bub was 18 months old , my surgeon told me he would like women to have stopped breast feeding 12 months prior to surgery , like I said before I had my BA 6 months post breast feeding but I had to sign a waiver to say that I understand problems can occur not waiting my PS recommended waiting time .... I haven't had a prob so far...

You will be fine ...

MumO5