Post opp nursing/ care would people use this service? '

Hi, I have recently had rhynoplasty, which went well, however I spent an extra 3000 on a night in hospital because I lived too far away to go home same day and didn't have anyone to look after me that first night.

As I said all went well but I wonder if there was a service, that dropped you off, picked you up and looked after you in a motel room. Would people use this service?

I kind of looked about but couldn't find anything.

I am actually thinking of. Friend of mine who is a paramedic who could offer this service. ( the only reason why I didnt use her is because I Am a stubborn muel)

What do you think?

A service like that would be great. When I went in for Rhinoplasty, I looked for something like this because I've heard about similar services in the States, but I don't think there is enough demand for it here.

$3000 is a lot. What hospital was that? I have private health insurance which made my hospital fees cheap. It was just as well, I ended up having to stay two nights.

$3000? Seriously? Cost that much for one night in a hospital? For that price I would have let my pride go and asked a friend a favour lol.

Don't know if I would use such a service, would depend on the type of surgery, etc.

Well that was overnight and use of OR... It happened they day of my surgery was also her hens night so it wouldn't have worked... :)

Flattummytime, would you pay for airfares and accommodation? My only thought is that people might expect a reg nurse? Then this would get a bit expensive, I guesse if there was a clear contract about the role? As in, no medical care, but full support in self care, travel etc... not sure how my mate would go with medical liability and all that, seeing as she is a paramedic.

I think I can see a small business here! I know rigby after my surgery I stayed in a motel, someone knocked on my door, wrong room but opening it I felt so vulnerable. Things like DVD hire, food ( I planned ahead but you always forget something) and to avoid that overnight stay in hospital that s bloody expensive.

I'm thinking like joining rooms, so people ave their privacy ( privacy is very important to me) but are also supported.

I definitely would ave gone to Thailand if I had someone there for me! Not necesserially a nurse but a support person. I again felt very vulnerable in the dea of travelling, going into surgery and recovering alone!

Soooo, I'm thinking tht I'm nt alone in wanting this service, what would peoples expectations of service be? As in wht this service would ' look like'

I'm thinking overseas, travel together, personal assistant will attend consults with client, go to hospital with them and ang around, be funny, charming and entertaining before opp. Retun post opp make sure their face is seen as soon as possible post opp. Phone friends and family about outcome!

Pick up from hospital, get details of post care, appointments etc. it's the PA' s job to be organized.

Post opp support as requested, but being realistic of liability, not crossing lines into medical are , however, if additional medical care is needed, PA to arrange this. ( most ops do not require formal medical care).

How does ths Sound? What I am thinking s to make this realistic ( and losing any profits :)) overseas a support can be a ' free holiday' as in client pays for airfares and accommodation, meals tht kind if thing, the PA support them and are available to them as much as needed, bt also are free a few hous a day to shop, explore etc...

My friend does something like this.

She is not a nurse (hasn't studied in the medical field at all).

She is purely a "support person".

She charges $300.00 for an overnight stay. She comes over to your house at 6:00pm to assist you with eating your dinner, then she helps you take your meds (and anything else you need) and she stays awake all night to help you with anything you may require (repositioning to help you sleep better, taking more meds, etc.) should you wake up during the night.

Her fee then drops down to $200.00 for every night thereafter.

She charges a bit more for full day care. Some people like having her pick them up after the surgery and stay with her for the first two days straight helping them with EVERYTHING.

It's just like having a partner/family member/friend staying with you except she just charges for it. :)

She asked me if I would be interested in doing it (she likes staying up the first night but as you can imagine it's incredibly difficult when you're with a client as soon as they leave surgery - she would have to be awake that day, overnight and also the whole next day too until bedtime) so it would be me looking after them during the day, and then we would switch for the night shift. I would love to but I'm just not ready to make the move to the big smoke just yet.

My friend does something like this.

She is not a nurse (hasn't studied in the medical field at all).

She is purely a "support person".

She charges $300.00 for an overnight stay. She comes over to your house at 6:00pm to assist you with eating your dinner, then she helps you take your meds (and anything else you need) and she stays awake all night to help you with anything you may require (repositioning to help you sleep better, taking more meds, etc.) should you wake up during the night.

Her fee then drops down to $200.00 for every night thereafter.

She charges a bit more for full day care. Some people like having her pick them up after the surgery and stay with her for the first two days straight helping them with EVERYTHING.

It's just like having a partner/family member/friend staying with you except she just charges for it. :)

She asked me if I would be interested in doing it (she likes staying up the first night but as you can imagine it's incredibly difficult when you're with a client as soon as they leave surgery - she would have to be awake that day, overnight and also the whole next day too until bedtime) so it would be me looking after them during the day, and then we would switch for the night shift. I would love to but I'm just not ready to make the move to the big smoke just yet.

Oh I wish I knew about her before! It is a much needed service, maybe she could advertise on here!

Flattummytime, would you pay for airfares and accommodation? My only thought is that people might expect a reg nurse? Then this would get a bit expensive, I guesse if there was a clear contract about the role? As in, no medical care, but full support in self care, travel etc... not sure how my mate would go with medical liability and all that, seeing as she is a paramedic.

Its probably cheaper for me to pay for a night or two more in hospital at this stage ;), but if anyone hears of someone providing this service n Bangkok I'd be keen to use it.

• 2 weeks later...