Sign in to follow this  

Ladies with children

Did you feel nervous about leaving your babies to go and have the surgery? I am worried that my babies will get upset and that no one will be able to soothe them while I am in surgery. My son has separation anxiety and hasn't been away from me for more then 30 mins in his whole life (13 months). I am not having my surgery until somewhere between December 2013 and March 2014 so I am hoping to have some trial runs where I leave him with my parents for a few hours and see how he goes.

My next fear is dying during surgery, I know it won't happen but still scares me because I suffer with Von willebrands disease so the doctor explained they will have blood on standby in case I need a transfusion. Made me a bit frightened.

Anyone else experience similar fears :confused:

YES YES YES to all of the above. I never leave my kids EVER and I was away for 4 nights, 1200km away (newman to Perth). even though they were with my husband I was still so worried, I was worried they would wake up at night and not settle, that he wouldn't know what they want like I do, all those sorts of things. of course, they were all fine. the kids didn't ask about me the whole time I was gone, they didn't even want to talk to me on the phone. I was so worried over nothing :/ The other one, dying, OMG yes I was stressed out. I react to lots of normal medication, so I thought surely a GA would kill me. then I did some research- they put people into coma's with a GA when they HAVE allergic reactions, so that their body can recover. GA actually SAVES peoples lives, it doesn't kill them. well, only like really old people who would probably die anyway. all of your worries are totally normal.... All I can tell you is, its totally worth it when you wake up with new boobs and I did feel slightly stupid when A) I woke up alive and B) I went home to my kids and they just wanted to hug my mum. LOL.

Yes I am not looking forward to leaving my 5 kids for the 2 weeks we are away for. I have only ever been away for a week back in 2011 and while I was gone I skyped them every day. My youngest son was 2 then and he seemed to do ok with us not being there. He is now 4 so I'm hoping he will still be ok.The older kids will be ok. I plan to take my laptop so we can Skype them again.

I am also having some anxiety about the surgery....as is my husband. I had surgery back in 2003 and I had a reaction to the anaesthetic and ended up taking a long time to come out of it, and then ended up being rushed into hospital the next day due to severe chest pains which ended up being partially collapsed lungs. My mum had surgery 2 years ago and she also had a reaction to the anaesthetic so its got me worried. In saying that, I was 30kgs heavier and totally unhealthy when I had my issues with surgery....but will express my concerns with the anaesthetist and doctor.

Hi ladies,

Im booked in to have my BA in July & I'm just wondering I have a 18mth old who is mummy's little girl. She is a very independent little girl but loves cuddles with me & can get quite upset if she can't get cuddles. I'm especially concerened that I won't be able to comfort her at all if she's upset or more than likely with her in pain due to health problems. My partner will be looking after us both & is more than capable but I can't help but to worry about my princess.. How did you ladies do it? Any advice would be so appreciated 

Awww I remember all these thoughts & they're totally normal. Trust me, your baby/s & partner/s will do great without you while you're in surgery & recovering - think about the bonding that they'll do in that time :) Doesn't matter how difficult it is to cuddle your little ones as well while you're sore & taped up but you will find a way :) All the best.

Ladies- it will be good for your husband to be alone with the kids. He will finally get to see what it's like to be a stay at home parent. It's normal for us mums to be worried. But your husband is a good dad, right? He loves your kids? They love him? Have some faith and trust in him that he can parent them alone the same way that you do. It will be ok. I was just like you- I'm a massive control freak and never leave my kids. It was a wonderful thing for all of us. Hubby understands when I say I've had a rough day, and I'm much more laid back. It will be ok!!!

Also, I just want to add- if your kids know you aren't there, they won't actually ask for you. But sad I know, but they will automatically reach out for your partner or parents if mummy isn't around.

Thank you ladies. You are right she/they will be fine. She will love every minute with her daddy, he will spoil her rotten & let her get away with everything lol (he's a big softie). 😃 Its just a very nerve racking time now that it's getting so close to my surgery day.. Just over 1week to go.. Eeek!!

Thank you again 😃

I'm only on to my third day po and give my little girls hugs around the shoulders while crouching, it's harder to put a jumper on! It's only a couple of days and mine were really good they liked looking after mummy as she was 'not feeling well' I called them my little nurses, they were proud. But mine are 3 and 4 so might be harder for younger ones to understand. As long as you have some help :)